Lost Gems

Anybody know of any obscure sitcoms that came and went without anybody noticing, but were actually pretty good? My two nominations would be "Action" from five or six years ago. This was about a movie producer played by Jay Mohr, and was very funny in a Larry Sanders kind of way. Alas, it only lasted about twelve episodes before being cancelled.

My other favourite lost gem is Bakersfield PD, another American sitcom, this time about an incompetent police force. This one managed to last a full series before having the plug pulled.

I don't know if it was that obscure, but I really liked Mrs Merton and Malcolm. It ran for one series, nobody I know watched it, and I think the reviews weren't very good. Tree-mendous!!!

Paris, starring Alexei Sayle was another decent one, tucked away in the schedules.

I'm sure there are more, but i'll have to get my thinking cap on.

From the US, I really loved a show called Jake in Progress. Unfortunately, it was pulled just one episode into the second season. :(

Apart from that, I can't really think of any which have gone under the radar in the way you're talking about, but there are a good few which have been almost forgotten, which I love.
George and the Dragon is definitely one of them, as is Citizen James. Ooh, and Two in Clover. And Dear John..., which just cracks me up every time.
And of course that much-loved, but sadly mostly forgotten (although now finally getting DVD releases), CBBC sitcom Maid Marian and Her Merry Men.

I was going to say Dear John, but was it that obscure? It ran for a few series and a lot of people I know seem to remember it with affection.

It was a great sitcom though and if it has suffered from anything, it is the fact that it has barely been rescreened.

"That's the kind of guy I am". Aaah, memories.

Brilliant show, yes. In fact, I think I'll watch some as soon as The Daily Politics is finished. :)

Filthy Rich and Catflap - only one series, Elton's, bettered only by BlackAdder.
imo.

Quote: SlagA @ November 16, 2006, 11:43 AM

Filthy Rich and Catflap - only one series, Elton's, bettered only by BlackAdder.
imo.

i want to see that, do they sell it on dvd?

yes. try amazon or choiceuk

Used to really dig Nightingales but they never seem to repeat it these days.

For something really obscure have a look at Heat Vision and Jack, a pisstake of 80s action shows directed by Ben Stiller and starring Jack Black as an astronaut on the run from NASA with Owen Wilson as his talking motorcycle sidekick.

Dunno if it's all that funny or not but it's certainly a curio that was never broadcast www.hvaj.com

Quote: Moxy Poron @ November 16, 2006, 4:38 PM

i want to see that, do they sell it on dvd?

Not only is it out on DVD (Playback, I believe - shock horror!), but it's been on UKTV G2 recently.

Quote: ablurga @ November 16, 2006, 8:55 PM

Used to really dig Nightingales but they never seem to repeat it these days.

Another one that's recently been released on DVD. :)

I seem to remember Hot Metal being quite funny. Starred Richard Wilson, pre-One foot in the Grave. Was a satirical comedy and think it came on Sunday nights.

Although they are rather recent and funny, I think Operation Good Guys and Help (Whitehouse and Langham) are already fading from people's memory. We may never see the latter again due to Langham's circumstances.

I've never actually seen Operation Good Guys. Worth buying?

Have to be honest and say that I didn't see the whole lot. The ones I saw were funny though.

I would say borrow first if you can, then buy it if you like it.

Yes. Filthy Rich and Catflap - my alltime favourite sitcom.
Unfortunately, the DVD has lost the wonderful bit where Richie sings 'Consider Yourself at Home' - Copyright reasons. etc.

Booo. :( Cutting stuff SUCKS. I want complete shows, damnit.

Actually, don't get me started. It makes me very angry. Angry