Mockumentaries... Page 4

Yeah, but looking into the camera is kind of a cheat in itself. People look at the person holding the camera rather staring down the lens itself. It's all artifice.

Quote: Griff @ September 4 2008, 4:02 PM BST

Arrested Development is massively over-rated. There, I said it.

You shut up, sir.

And I agreed with it.

The Comeback starring Lisa Kudrow
Also Rowland Rivron's A Set of Six from 1990

If anything it's severely underrated.

I'm not sure what is being discussed in this thread because I get bored of reading peoples posts. But on the sole subject of MOCKUMENTARIES:

Does anyone else think that 'This Is Spinal Tap' was a bit of a one hit wonder for Christopher Guest? I haven't really liked any of his other stuff. It's too forced.

He's not even had the one, IMO.

Quote: Eat_My_Shirts @ September 11 2008, 5:38 PM BST

I get bored of reading peoples posts.

A forum probably isn't the best place for you then. ;)

As for Christopher Guest, Spinal Tap was undoubtedly his finest hour, but I realled liked Best In Show and A Mighty Wind. Both great mockumentaries.

I can't believe none of you have mentioned 'Kath & Kim' yet! As someone else has mentioned, there's Chris Lilley's creations, 'We Can Be Heroes', which was a precurser to 'Summer Heights High'.

Incidentally, does anyone know why they've renamed 'We Can Be Heroes' to 'The Nominees' whilst it's being shown in the UK?

I don't recall if anything else foreign has been mentioned, but as this is the Other British Comedy forum, and they objected to the Empire, it doesn't count.

And according to Wikipedia, the show is called The Nominees everywhere but Australia. It's not UK-specific.

Long time no posting, but anyway...

Arrested Development is suppose to be a mockumentary, hence stuff like sound equipment dropping in to shot and characters shoving the cameras away.

Also, Victoria Wood As Seen On TV use to have lots of mockumentary style sketches and as somebody else has already mentioned The Day Today had some great ones like The Pool and The Office.

Quote: zooo @ September 2 2008, 4:08 PM BST

Nah, TTOI isn't one, is it?
There's no 'cameraman' or anything. It's just filmed in a realistic way.

I think Drop The Dead Donkey falls into a similar category, though they did actually make one episode as a mockumentary, The Newsmakers (Se6 Ep1).

That wasn't actually a mockumentary though, was it? That was just an episode of a sitcom where the characters had a film crew following them. Unless I'm remembering it incorrectly. There was an episode of The Thin Blue Line like that.

True, though I mentioned that episode merely because it related to the theme of this thread.
The main point of my post was that DTDD, like TTOI, wasn't a mockumentary but a sitcom filmed in a 'realistic' style, albeit with a laughter track.

The best one-off mockumentary inside a sitcom has to be the Cops episode in My Name Is Earl?