Mockumentaries...

I was very interested to read in The Guardian yesterday that Graham Linehan originally intended Father Ted to be a mock documentary, and it was Geoffrey Perkins who urged him and Matthews to turn it into a more traditional sitcom.

Anyway, we may have had this discussion before, but if not, it would be interesting to have a comprehensive list of all the mockumentaries there have ever been, both British and Foreign, film as well as television. I'll kick off with a few:

Boyz Unlimited - A six part series on Channel 4 about a boy band. Created by David Walliams and Matt Lucas. Very funny.

This Is David Lander/This Is David Harper - These were about a journalist, first played by Stephen Fry, then Tony Slattery. I think it was based on a Radio 4 show.

People Like Us - A brilliant mock documentary starring Chris Langham. And because of that it's been sadly brushed under the carpet of late.

That Peter Kay Thing - Easily Peter Kays finest work. Especially the episode about an ice cream man that managed to reference both Taxi Driver and Apocalypse Now.

The Office - Nothing much to say on this. Probably the finest mock documentary TV series, which spawned an equally brilliant American spin off. Not to mention a whole host of versions across the world.

Friggin', 'The Cup'.

Quote: Griff @ September 2 2008, 2:10 PM BST

I'll add This Is Spinal Tap, Best In Show, A Mighty Wind, For Your Consideration.

Not to forget Waiting for Guffman.

Off the top of my head you can add:

Fubar
Bad News/More Bad News
The Rutles
Borat
Drop Dead Gorgeous
Fear of a Black Hat
Mike Basset
Man Bites Dog
Zelig

and a shitload of others you could just hit Wikipedia for.

I like the whole movie - it's hugely underrated and black as hell.

Quote: David Bussell @ September 2 2008, 2:20 PM BST

Mike Basset

I've only seen the film, Mike Basset: England Manager. Is the subsequent sitcom, Mike Basset: Manager also a mock documentary?

And interesting to see Zelig mentioned, Sweet and Lowdown was also a mockumentary. And that's that rare beast: a late period Woody Allen that's actually quite good.

Also, Wikepedia is useful, but it never gives much indication of how good or bad anything is. Call me a weirdo, but I actually like reading what people thought of different shows.

Marion and Geoff.

Yes, Drop Dead Gorgeous is great!
And Man Bites Dog.

If we're talking Woody Allen then we'll have to include his first film, 'Take The Money and Run'.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 2 2008, 2:32 PM BST

If we're talking Woody Allen then we'll have to include his first film, 'Take The Money and Run'.

Great film.

Quote: chipolata @ September 2 2008, 2:30 PM BST

Also, Wikepedia is useful, but it never gives much indication of how good or bad anything is. Call me a weirdo, but I actually like reading what people thought of different shows.

Very true. Here goes then:

Waiting for Guffman - brilliant
Fubar - so-so (more interesting if you don't know it's faked)
Bad News/More Bad News - never seen them.
The Rutles - pretty good as I recall
Borat - loved the TV spots and the movie
Drop Dead Gorgeous - great, as previously stated
Fear of a Black Hat - my teenage self enjoyed this 'rap Spinal Tap' but I doubt it would hold much water nowadays.
Mike Basset - involves football so never seen
Man Bites Dog - brilliant. Watched this unsubbed for the first time in France knowing nothing about it and wondering what the hell was wrong with the French to laugh at such things.
Zelig - very good.

Forgot all about Sweet and Lowdown - cracking stuff.

Quote: David Bussell @ September 2 2008, 2:40 PM BST

V
Bad News/More Bad News - never seen them. Very good
The Rutles - pretty good as I recall You recall correctly. Neil Innes is a brilliant musical parodist.

Quote: David Bussell @ September 2 2008, 2:40 PM BST

Man Bites Dog - brilliant. Watched this unsubbed for the first time in France knowing nothing about and wondering what the hell was wrong with the French to laugh at such things.

It is a stunning film. There's hope for you yet, Bussell.

Ah yes, classic Comic Strip, Bad News(predecessor to Spinal Tap) and the More Bad News sequel.

We shouldn't forget The Cup either, currently running on BBC2. We'd like to forget it, of course.

And mention should be made of Operation Good Guys. Brilliant first couple of series, but went off the boil a bit towards the end, becoming broader, sillier and adding a bizarre laughter track. In his blog, Michael Jacob claims this is the first mockumentary sitcom in Britain.

Have The Thick Of It and Operation Good Guys been mentioned? I think they are, right?

Also some parts of Happy Families.