Mockumentaries... Page 8

Yeah, that's kind of where I was coming from... :)

Quote: Joey Moose @ January 21 2011, 11:23 PM GMT

Also, I have always (and still do) count "I'm Alan Partridge" Series One as a bit of a mock-u-mentary. Series Two not so much.

Okay, but it's not though!

I'm Alan Partridge is never portrayed as a mockumentary. Some of the camera work could be described as similar to that of a mockumentary, but that's about it, Joey!

Fair enough. By the way, I'm also a "Ben" as well :)

"Joey Moose" is just the name of one of the zookeepers in the first series of The Mighty Boosh (which I don't really give a toss about anymore, so perhaps I should change it) and I thought it would make a good username (it doesn't).

Gary's War.

Peter Andre: The Next Chapter. Well, I have to tell myself that somebody that awful isn't real, it's the only way I can sleep at night.

Oh, Jo! Don't you think poor Peter's been through enough?!

Quote: Ben @ January 23 2011, 9:38 AM GMT

Oh, Jo! Don't you think poor Peter's been through enough?!

Ben, methinks Peter has been through enough, but never quite 'gripped the sides' so to speak.

What is the oldest mocumnentary anyone can think of?

The Rutles has been mentioned and Python did some great docu-spoofs (the mice men and Hells Grannies) but I can't think of many before then.

Richard Lester sort of went into that terrirtory in the Beatles fims.

Before Python, Jones and Palin did a spoof history thing, as though cameras and journalists were present at historical events; late-ish sixties. That was after those Beatles films, though.

Sorry to hijack the thread but we launched a new mockumentary 3 weeks ago here: http://www.youtube.com/user/PeterDaltonFilms
I have started a discussion over in the Critique forum.
Hope to see some of you there :)

I remember watching "The Rutles" in the late 70s and being absolutely blown away by it. Neil Innes's attention to idiomatic detail coupled with Eric Idle's crackling narrative made it irresistible to me. The deadpan performances of Mick Jagger and Paul Simon (as themselves) are perfectly judged.

Woody Allen's "Zelig" is a masterpiece, I think. Again, that flawless understanding of idiom and seamless integration of real celebrities, none of whom overact.

These are the two that stick out for me, but this thread has thrown up some absolute beauties.