The Kevin Bishop Show - Series 1 Page 4

Quote: Jenuff @ July 26 2008, 1:30 AM BST

I was once told by an apparent comedy professional that mock adverts just don't work on comedy sketch shows.

Stupid thing to say though, isn't it? They work well if they're funny; simple as that.

Of course, as comedy is so individually subjective and at the mercy of the socio-economic climate under which it is watched at any one point, one could argue that ANY such statement regarding humour is stupid.

But that's a whole different thread again. :)

I liked it, especially the Jonathan Ross sketches taking the mickey out of him and Ricky Gervais. Very Fast Show like in terms of it structure.

Quote: Aaron @ July 26 2008, 10:46 AM BST

Of course, as comedy is so individually subjective and at the mercy of the socio-economic climate under which it is watched at any one point, one could argue that ANY such statement regarding humour is stupid.

That's what I was going to say. Ahem.

I knew I recognised this man somewhere. Wasn't he the boy in the Muppets treasure island?

Quote: Charly @ July 26 2008, 12:03 PM BST

I knew I recognised this man somewhere. Wasn't he the boy in the Muppets treasure island?

Yes, he was. Makes me laugh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaOylSg3G-w

Oh, by the way, did anyone catch the J Ross counting his money sketch? It was very quick but made me lol.

Well, that was the biggest load of schoolboy bollox I have ever witnessed in a primetime slot. It really was not funny at all. It reminded me of the stuff most 14 yr olds do when they get thier hands on a video camera, except that...it was devoid of any talent whatsoever. This guy doesn't do ONE convincing mimic...that wouldnt be so bad if the content of the mimic sketch was any good but sadly it isn't. I understand he's getting married today, good luck to him I hope his Mrs is earning a decent living because he doesnt appear to have much of one.

I can't believe that CH4 comissioned a whole series of this expensive rubbish when there are so many great truely funny people on the London comedy scene who blow this spoled bratt out of the water in the first 5 seconds of thier act.

Total rubbish! I am dumbfounded at CH4.

Quote: gary ash @ July 26 2008, 1:04 PM BST

Well, that was the biggest load of schoolboy bollox I have ever witnessed in a primetime slot. It really was not funny at all. It reminded me of the stuff most 14 yr olds do when they get thier hands on a video camera, except that...it was devoid of any talent whatsoever. This guy doesn't do ONE convincing mimic...that wouldnt be so bad if the content of the mimic sketch was any good but sadly it isn't. I understand he's getting married today, good luck to him I hope his Mrs is earning a decent living because he doesnt appear to have much of one.

I can't believe that CH4 comissioned a whole series of this expensive rubbish when there are so many great truely funny people on the London comedy scene who blow this spoled bratt out of the water in the first 5 seconds of thier act.

Total rubbish! I am dumbfounded at CH4.

So you liked it the-oh. Twas pretty good though I thought. Nicely reserved first post Gary! As for the mimic thing, I don't think he's trying to be Rory Bremner or anything, it's just supposed to be broad takes on them, not on the nose impersonations. I can understand why a brash show like this would turn many off though; but I liked it.

I loved it! I laughed my arse off practically all the way through.
One or two flops, but that's inevitable.
Great stuff, can't wait for next week's.

I assume Gary has some reason for the slating above; it seemed a tad on the personel and over the top side to me. I suppose we'll see if he actually carries on posting on here. 'Spoiled Brat' is an especially odd thing to say; unles he knows him or something. Smacks of jealousy.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 26 2008, 3:14 PM BST

I assume Gary has some reason for the slating above; it seemed a tad on the personel and over the top side to me. I suppose we'll see if he actually carries on posting on here. 'Spoiled Brat' is an especially odd thing to say; unles he knows him or something. Smacks of jealousy.

Well I dunno, it's all subjective isn't it?
It does sound a bit like it's been judged before it's even been watched though.

Hopefully he'll post again.

I thought it was really poor.

I was told channel hopping was a big no-no in sketches and here we are with one Rolling eyes I like Kevin Bishop, I like the guy who plays Gerard in Peep Show, but this series was said to have been written in six weeks. It looks like it. You only write shows in six weeks if you don't chuck out all the duff bits.

Made a good point about Ross and Gervais, though probably could have been sharper with that too.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 26 2008, 10:33 AM BST

Stupid thing to say though, isn't it? They work well if they're funny; simple as that.

Yes Matthew I understand that, just pointing out the irony! ;)

I always thought they would work, but ahem, this 'person' was adament that 'advertising' would never work within a sketch show. Within a show like Kevin Bishop's though, I think you need the ads. Thought the show was excellent.

Quote: David H @ July 26 2008, 3:43 PM BST

I was told channel hopping was a big no-no in sketches and here we are with one Rolling eyes

Well the thing is, no one knows anything. Anything people say can't or shouldn't be done will turn up on TV six months later!

Quote: Jenuff @ July 26 2008, 3:46 PM BST

Yes Matthew I understand that, just pointing out the irony! ;)

Yes, I got that, I was underlining your original point.