Super Bands Of Old Page 4

There are so many. The best music was in the 60's. The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Beatles, Small Faces, The Hollies, Hendrix, blah blah.

I bought a Hendrix t-shirt the other day. Pointless fact, yes.

Fair Play.
That makes you a cool dude in my book. Now all you need is a Che one.

Laughing out loud

Laughing out loud
Print it on a tee NOW!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 12 2008, 6:29 PM BST

The Nazis said something similar. :P Apart from the rock on bit.

LOL. Excactly, people voted for the nazis and listen to coldplay, you can't always trust people.

Quote: Winterlight @ April 12 2008, 6:33 PM BST

I was thinking a while back that there hasn't been a huge worldwide band for the 00's.

Nirvana were probably the last rock band to do it. Oasis came very close, but didn't quite break America, although they did do pretty well there.

I remember that Eminem was pretty damn huge in the early 00's, but he's not a band.

Of course Nirvana. I can't believe I forgot about them. But again they belong to the 90's, as for eminem... well I hate chav music.

Quote: David Chapman @ April 12 2008, 7:40 PM BST

Firstly no-one can or ever will compare to the Beatles.

It's not an age thing - just a fact. They were a phenomenon. They had a unique sound which appealed to all ages - proven by the number of covers of their things.

Personally at the time I preferred the Move, Small Faces, Kinks or the Who.

Your nomination for the 80s - the Smiths - was more of a "critically acclaimed" thing. They were by no means universallt liked or appreciated. As Matthew said U2 sold a whole lot more records although I detest them.

So really what are you looking for now? Someone universally liked whose songs are widely covered?

I'm afraid it will never happen again because radio is now so fragmented.

I completely agree with you. To answer your question I'm just looking for a band thats genuine above all else. So many bands of the 00's such as the kaiser chiefs, franz ferdinand, hard fi just don't speak to me. To be honest I believe there manufactured.

Aerosmith? Velvet Revolver(nucleus of Guns'N'Roses)? Black Sabbath? Iron Maiden? Foo Fighters(frontman Dave Grohl-drummer from Nirvana)? Pink Floyd?
As are the Stones, of course, though they haven't produced anything worthwhile since the early 70's.

All 'rock' bands/artistes of years standing but still massive in the 00's.

Also, if Led Zep do 'reform' for a tour before the decade's out then that should settle the debate.

IMHO.

Quote: jacparov @ April 12 2008, 6:13 PM BST

Two words people: BON and JOVI. They rock.

Sadly it's all R&B rubbish these days.

Are you sure about that? It seems to me that today's British music scene is dominated by skinny white boys wearing skinny jeans, and playing guitars.

Badly. And moaning. A lot. And generally being annoying, whiny c**ts who should have their heads involved in a train-wheel/train-track interface.

Quote: Leevil @ April 13 2008, 2:28 AM BST

I like Rod Stewart, bit cheesy sometimes but still great.

The Faces were a brilliant good time rock band. Sorely missed. Britt Ekland has a lot to answer for.

I love REM.

And I still see the Yardbirds play whenever I can.

Quote: Fantasy Bazaar @ April 13 2008, 6:42 PM BST

Of course Nirvana. I can't believe I forgot about them. But again they belong to the 90's, as for eminem... well I hate chav music.

As a Hip hop fan, I've got no complaints about you saying this (I don't own any of Eminem's albums). I just hope you don't brand all Hip hop as Chav music. As I've said before on here, the best Hip hop, sadly, always seems to remain underground, meaning the majority of people never get to hear it.

Actually, while I'm on the subject, it's funny how nowadays, Hip hop is always associated with Chavs, as I remember, back in the 90s, how chavs used to hate it, dismissing it as "Nigger Music". Indeed, I used to be the only person in my year at school who was into it. Ironically, the first half of the '90s are widely regarded by Hip hop fans, as the years that produced the best music/albums, before the music was destroyed by a wave of idiots, who wrote about nothing but guns and money etc. Once the record labels realised that this type of Rap sold more CDs than the old stuff - most of it to pre-pubescant boys - they scrapped signing old-style groups all together.

Quote: catskillz @ April 13 2008, 7:24 PM BST

As a Hip hop fan, I've got no complaints about you saying this (I don't own any of Eminem's albums). I just hope you don't brand all Hip hop as Chav music. As I've said before on here, the best Hip hop, sadly, always seems to remain underground, meaning the majority of people never get to hear it.

Agreed, I enjoy a variety of music and find myself listening to Hip Hop and R&B but I do NOT own a pair of Nike trainers.

Neither do I find tracksuit bottoms something suitable to wear outside the gym.

Actually, while I'm on the subject, it's funny how nowadays, Hip hop is always associated with Chavs, as I remember, back in the 90s, how chavs used to hate it, dismissing it as "Nigger Music". Indeed, I used to be the only person in my year at school who was into it. Ironically, the first half of the '90s are widely regarded by Hip hop fans, as the years that produced the best music/albums, before the music was destroyed by a wave of idiots, who wrote about nothing but guns and money etc.

Fight The Power!

Actually, while I'm on the subject, it's funny how nowadays, Hip hop is always associated with Chavs, as I remember, back in the 90s, how chavs used to hate it, dismissing it as "Nigger Music". Indeed, I used to be the only person in my year at school who was into it. Ironically, the first half of the '90s are widely regarded by Hip hop fans, as the years that produced the best music/albums, before the music was destroyed by a wave of idiots, who wrote about nothing but guns and money etc.

I liked early 90's daisy age hip hop. De La Soul, Jungle Bros, A Tribe Called Quest, Dream Warriors, Arrested Development, etc. Public Enemy were awesome but my fave hip hop track is 'Mr Dobelina' by Del Tha Funkee Homosapien.

Quote: Paul W @ April 13 2008, 7:29 PM BST

Neither do I find tracksuit bottoms something suitable to wear outside the gym.

What's a gymn?