Super Bands Of Old Page 3

Quote: zooo @ April 12 2008, 9:11 PM BST

I want a pretty coloured sig like Leevil.

Click on profile at the top, scroll down to signature box and fill it in. When finished put before it
[ colour= red] (without the spaces) and then after it [ /colour]

And the click the big update button at the bottom.

:)

But can it be purple? That is the big question of the day.

(Thanx!)

No probs. I'm not sure how many colours are available, but you could always keep trying?

Quote: zooo @ April 12 2008, 9:16 PM BST

I'm not sure Chapman is online right now, but he'll get back to you on this one I'm sure.

Quote: Leevil @ April 12 2008, 6:06 PM BST

There's so many charts and genres and ways to consider what makes a successful band these days, how do you judge what a super band is until we can look back and compare?

Yeah defo, I only really like modern bands so this is probably the only post I will make.

Quote: Leevil @ April 12 2008, 5:56 PM BST

Do I dare say it... Coldplay?

You dare. It's wrong of course, but yes, you dare.

Quote: Leevil @ April 12 2008, 6:16 PM BST

You just don't like black people.

:P

;)

That might be so. But it doesn't make it the reason that R&B etc is shite.

Quote: zooo @ April 12 2008, 9:16 PM BST

(Thanx!)

Yep, should work.

Quote: Badge @ April 12 2008, 9:19 PM BST

I'm not sure Chapman is online right now, but he'll get back to you on this one I'm sure.

;)

I thought the Manics might be huge [Although they were a band of the nineties I thought they may stand the test of time. One of them jumping off the Severn Bridge didn't help mind. ] and not just 'cos they're Welsh but some top songs and I like slightly gruff voice. Hence I like Rod Stewart which probably makes me gay. Any whooo. A little aside for those not in the know. They come from Blackwood as of course do the World famous Slagg's!

I like Rod Stewart, bit cheesy sometimes but still great.

Quote: Leevil @ April 13 2008, 2:28 AM BST

I like Rod Stewart, bit cheesy sometimes but still great.

Can't really complain about Faces-era Rod, can you?

Quote: Curt @ April 12 2008, 8:02 PM BST

I hate to admit it because I dislike 80s metal so much but 80s belonged to hair metal like Def Leopard, Guns and Roses and Van Halen. Thank god grunge came along and kicked their asses into obscurity.

yes.
I was so glad that hairy chest-thumping androgynous looking fellas in Martian-colored attires, who sang about fast cars and fast f**ks, were replaced by never-washed, greasy flannel-shirt whiners, who whimpered about having no self-esteem, after MTV decided to play one single chord to death.

That really made the world a better place.

Quote: David Chapman @ April 12 2008, 7:40 PM BST

Firstly no-one can or ever will compare to the Beatles.

It's not an age thing - just a fact. They were a phenomenon. They had a unique sound which appealed to all ages - proven by the number of covers of their things.

Never before you have uttered anything so true.

Quote: David Chapman @ April 12 2008, 7:40 PM BST

Personally at the time I preferred the Move, Small Faces, Kinks or the Who.

Personally at the time I was in the Barcalounger in my dad's balls.

I disagree that Nirvana were the last 'super band'. I am surprised no one has mentioned REM in that bracket. U2 are massive of course as well although personally 'The Joshua Tree' was their finest moment and that was many, many moons ago.

Arcade Fire have a niche audience and I cant see them emulating Nirvana. I recently read 'Heavier Than Heaven' by Charles R. Cross a very informative biography on Kurt Cobain. Worth a read pop pickers.

U2 have been around for years, but I suppose they have actually reached super band status in the 00's as much as it pains me to say it.

Quote: roscoff @ April 13 2008, 2:15 AM BST

the World famous Slagg's!

No. Freaking. APOSTROPHE. >_<

Quote: WrongTale @ April 13 2008, 8:59 AM BST

yes.
I was so glad that hairy chest-thumping androgynous looking fellas in Martian-colored attires, who sang about fast cars and fast f**ks, were replaced by never-washed, greasy flannel-shirt whiners, who whimpered about having no self-esteem, after MTV decided to play one single chord to death.

That really made the world a better place.

Laughing out loud Agreed!

As for U2... F**k off. Anything they may have achieved as a band is automatically negated by Bono.

I think we're being snobbish and saying REM and U2 aren't classed as super bands because they're not cool.