Super Bands Of Old

OK so I was in my local HMV the other day looking at the top 40 album chart, and I couldn't help thinking that everything on display was in a word...shit. I was under the impression that in every decade a super band was created, in the 60's it was the Beatles in the 70's it was the Rolling Stones in the 80's it was the Smiths in the 90's I suppose you could take your pick from Radiohead, Oasis or the Chili Peppers. (officially the chilis started out in the 80's but its fair to say they didn't become a super band until the 90's) So my point is who, if anybody is the super band of the 00's, and yes I'm aware Radiohead and the chilis are still going but doesn't anyone else feel we're due a new super band?

Unfortuantly the best selling rocker is currently *shudder* Chris Daughtry.

Busted.

For me, The Hold Steady, Arctic Monkeys, Kings Of Leon, The White Stripes and several others; theres lots of good stuff out there if you look. Also, The Rolling Stones were already huge and producing classic after classic through most of the sixties, so I think youd have to find another band to represent the seventies. Led Zep maybe? I know they stated at the end of the sixties, but they were there all throught the seventies and produced most of their work in that decade.

[quote name="Matthew Stott" post="136785" date="April 12 2008, 5:30 PM BST"]For me, The Hold Steady, Arctic Monkeys, Kings Of Leon, The White Stripes and several others;

I'm a fan of these bands too, but they're certainly not super bands

Do I dare say it... Coldplay?

Quote: Fantasy Bazaar @ April 12 2008, 5:53 PM BST

[quote name="Matthew Stott" post="136785" date="April 12 2008, 5:30 PM BST"]For me, The Hold Steady, Arctic Monkeys, Kings Of Leon, The White Stripes and several others;

I'm a fan of these bands too, but they're certainly not super bands

So are we talking sales figures? If so, then Id say the Monkeys and the Stripes have certainly sold as many as the Smiths did at the time, if not more; im also pretty certain that U2 sold a hell of a lot more in the 80s than The Smiths. The first Monkeys album broke sales records.

There's so many charts and genres and ways to consider what makes a successful band these days, how do you judge what a super band is until we can look back and compare?

Quote: Leevil @ April 12 2008, 6:06 PM BST

There's so many charts and genres and ways to consider what makes a successful band these days, how do you judge what a super band is until we can look back and compare?

Agreed, you have to wait and look back; but there are certainly a hell of a lot of good bands that have emerged over the last eight years.

Two words people: BON and JOVI. They rock.

Sadly it's all R&B rubbish these days.

You just don't like black people.

:P

;)

Bon Jovi? Are you a women in your late thirties? The Jovi couldnt rock a babies crib.

It's not that honest guv, it's just I can't understand a word they say on their records. Something about bitches i believe, complaining about the vet bills I should imagine.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 12 2008, 6:21 PM BST

Bon Jovi? Are you a women in your late thirties? The Jovi couldnt rock a babies crib.

neither, I just have taste. Music is like comedy...in that I am always right about it. :D

Quote: jacparov @ April 12 2008, 6:24 PM BST

neither, I just have taste.

Laughing out loud The words Bon and Jovi in your post surely negate that claim!;)

Lol, I'm glad you took that in good faith, thought I went too far then.

I don't like R&B either, it's just mindless pop drivel.

I do however love old Rhythm and Blues pre-80's.