Super Bands Of Old Page 2

As it says on one of their album covers: 100 000 000 jovi fans can't be wrong!

Rock on!

Quote: jacparov @ April 12 2008, 6:28 PM BST

As it says on one of their album covers: 100 000 000 jovi fans can't be wrong!

Rock on!

The Nazis said something similar. :P Apart from the rock on bit.

Quote: Leevil @ April 12 2008, 6:26 PM BST

Lol, I'm glad you took that in good faith, thought I went too far then.

I don't like R&B either, it's just mindless pop drivel.

I do however love old Rhythm and Blues pre-80's.

I have no idea what rhythm is to be honest - something to with contraception I think? Blues however is great Can't beat a bit of BB King.

Quote: jacparov @ April 12 2008, 6:30 PM BST

I have no idea what rhythm is to be honest

Hence the love of Bon Jovi.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 12 2008, 6:29 PM BST

The Nazis said something similar. :P Apart from the rock on bit.

Hey if hitler could knock out a riff like the Sambora then I'd be there. Or not, obviously.

Tell you what I'll meet you half way....Mcfly anyone? Laughing out loud

I was thinking a while back that there hasn't been a huge worldwide band for the 00's.

Nirvana were probably the last rock band to do it. Oasis came very close, but didn't quite break America, although they did do pretty well there.

I remember that Eminem was pretty damn huge in the early 00's, but he's not a band.

Quote: jacparov @ April 12 2008, 6:33 PM BST

Hey if hitler could knock out a riff like the Sambora then I'd be there. Or not, obviously.

Hey, no need to enforce my joke from earlier.

Quote: zooo @ April 12 2008, 6:31 PM BST

Hence the love of Bon Jovi.

That hurts Zooo, I thought you of all people would have some taste, is the BSG a desolute land of idiots?? Actually don't answer that. In retaliation I shall have to say something rude about the Doctor:

Ahem, You see that dog turd over there? ...thats the doctor that is.

Nooooooooo!!

Actually I've seen Bon Jovi live twice! :O
My best friend likes 'em.

Then we can still be cyber friends - I retract all dogpoo/doctor statements.

And YES the Jovi do still Rock!! hahahahah(laughs like a madman)hahahahaha.

Chapman's going to hit me for this one but I think Arcade Fire has really done some different stuff while still brining in a wide audience of fans. And I would agree with Winterlight that Nirvana was the last "super band".

Firstly no-one can or ever will compare to the Beatles.

It's not an age thing - just a fact. They were a phenomenon. They had a unique sound which appealed to all ages - proven by the number of covers of their things.

Personally at the time I preferred the Move, Small Faces, Kinks or the Who.

Your nomination for the 80s - the Smiths - was more of a "critically acclaimed" thing. They were by no means universallt liked or appreciated. As Matthew said U2 sold a whole lot more records although I detest them.

So really what are you looking for now? Someone universally liked whose songs are widely covered?

I'm afraid it will never happen again because radio is now so fragmented.

I hate to admit it because I dislike 80s metal so much but 80s belonged to hair metal like Def Leopard, Guns and Roses and Van Halen. Thank god grunge came along and kicked their asses into obscurity.

Curt that is a :S statement.

I agree, Nirvana were the last massive band.

I don't know if there can be one now.

I want a pretty coloured sig like Leevil.