I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,740

The depressing thing about politics now is people seem to want their guy to win not because of any positive reasons, but because it will make the people they hate really unhappy.

Quote: chipolata @ 23rd January 2024, 2:58 PM

The depressing thing about politics now is people seem to want their guy to win not because of any positive reasons, but because it will make the people they hate really unhappy.

100%.
It's about spreading the misery rather than improving life for everybody.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 23rd January 2024, 10:23 AM

Well the money is firmly on Trump now being the next Republican Presidential candidate and my money's on him defeating Biden this time so that should keep Lofty busy on here for the next five years. To everyone's delight. 🙂

Isn't Biden expected to drop out ? So isn't it more about Trump beating the unknown ? I'd look from someone off yougov's current most popular public figures list:

1) Martin Luther King (Democrat)
2) Queen Elizabeth II (bless her)
3) Obama (Democrat)
4) Arnold Schwarzenegger (*EDITED)
5) Michelle Obama (Democrat)
6) Jimmy Carter (Democrat)
7) Rosalynn Carter (Democrat)
8) Dali Lama (who said Trump "lacks moral principles")
9) Colin Powell (Democrat)

source: https://today.yougov.com/ratings/politics/popularity/public-figures/all

Anyone who' isn't racist, xenophobic, a congenital liar, a thief, arrogant beyond measure, a sexual deviant and misogynistic, corrupt, adulterous - and by all accounts, smelly

Would be a start

Quote: Firkin @ 23rd January 2024, 3:34 PM

Isn't Biden expected to drop out ? So isn't it more about Trump beating the unknown ? I'd look from someone off yougov's current most popular public figures list:

1) Martin Luther King (Democrat)
2) Queen Elizabeth II (bless her)
3) Obama (Democrat)
4) Arnold Swazernigger (Trump's party)
5) Michelle Obama (Democrat)
6) Jimmy Carter (Democrat)
7) Rosalynn Carter (Democrat)
8) Dali Lama (who said Trump "lacks moral principles")
9) Colin Powell (Democrat)

That's a rather unusual list, as only one of the people (Michelle Obama) would even be eligible to run for president. I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen, despite her repeated denials.

There is no evidence that MLK was a Democrat, as it was the party of segregation and racism in the South in his era, and your suspicious spelling of Ahnold's surname would have fit right in back in those days.

Good points, well made. But surely MLK wouldn't be supporting Trump if he was alive today ? I hope the Terminator isn't going to shoot me for misspelling his name, given his crimes against pronunciation. That would be the kettle calling the pot black ("Schwarz" in German, "Neger" means Negro)

More like he was butchered in cold blood by the sort of person who would be a MAGA supporter today

Like the black lawyers on his cases who are being bombarded with death threats on a daily basis

Quote: Lazzard @ 22nd January 2024, 5:17 PM

Someone explain to Bill what a Representative Democracy is.

Pathetic response!

I take it that it is one in which you let someone else do the hard work, so that you can sit back and complain about it.

~~~~~~

So how many of you armchair politicians have ever attended a 'surgery' by their local MP, if not I guess you don't know what a representative democracy is anyway. How can s/he truly represent your desires if you never talk to them.

Quote: billwill @ 23rd January 2024, 11:56 PM

Pathetic response!

I take it that it is one in which you let someone else do the hard work, so that you can sit back and complain about it.

~~~~~~

So how many of you armchair politicians have ever attended a 'surgery' by their local MP, if not I guess you don't know what a representative democracy is anyway. How can s/he truly represent your desires if you never talk to them.

What exactly are you complaining
about? People are perfectly free to discuss politics without getting an MP involved.

I don't think Michelle Obama will run for president. I wish she would! Biden has not indicated he is standing down.
Foolish to misspell Arnold's name in that particular way. Absurd to think Martin Luther King would ever have backed someone like Trump!

Quote: DaButt @ 23rd January 2024, 4:03 PM

That's a rather unusual list, as only one of the people (Michelle Obama) would even be eligible to run for president.

You're forgetting Jimmy Carter! Still eligible to run for a second term.

Love the Godfather reference aimed by DeSantis at Trump. Unless it's from another film I'm too innocent to have seen. 😮

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 24th January 2024, 7:23 AM

Absurd to think Martin Luther King would ever have backed someone like Trump!

Most unlikely

"Donald started his career, back in 1973, being sued by the Justice Department for racial discrimination -- because he would not rent apartments in one of his developments to African-Americans, and he made sure that the people who worked for him understood that was the policy,"

Quote: billwill @ 23rd January 2024, 11:56 PM

Pathetic response!

~~~~~~

Your vote is how you are represented.
Political discussion is one's way of promoting your own thinking, in the (vain) hope others may be persuaded, or at least be forced to think about, how they vote.
I have canvassed for a political party and am a member - though will not be re-newing.
I regularly write to my MP (who merely parrots the Party line) but don't attend his infrequent surgeries as they seem to be mainly about pot-holes and neighbourhood disputes.
Apathetically sniping from the side-lines and suggesting we don't bother is probably why the country's in the state it is.

Rumours that Royal Mail may start to deliver on just three days a week only

Is there ANYTHING in this country that isn't being ground into the dirt?

Richard Tice, leader and Owner of The Reform Party, has dropped a bollock by visiting Ukraine to help distribute medical aid.
It seems a lot of his base are pro-Russian - and therefore against aiding Ukraine.
Many have said the will no longer vote for Reform.
You'd think Dickie would be a little more au fait with the former Brexit Party's Russian connections.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 24th January 2024, 7:23 AM

....Foolish to misspell Arnold's name in that particular way. Absurd to think Martin Luther King would ever have backed someone like Trump!

You're forgetting Jimmy Carter! Still eligible to run for a second term.

In my defence, I am dyslexic and changed it the minute it was pointed out. Also I'm not aware anyone did say MLK would back Trump, just that back in the day the Democrats had different Political policies. Jimmy Carter is 99, and they would look for someone younger than Biden. I'm guessing that's what DaButt was refering too, unless I've missed something ?

Quote: lofthouse @ 24th January 2024, 12:51 PM

Rumours that Royal Mail may start to deliver on just three days a week only

Is there ANYTHING in this country that isn't being ground into the dirt?

Given they needed to break the law to make a profit and now have tax bill that could bankrupt them, they always should have considered lawful ways to break even. They got Al Capone and Trump breaking tax law. It's easy to evidence, fewer grey areas than most other laws.