I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,741

Rishi hasn't been over to give zelenskiy one of his big, creepy, massively over familiar, but great for the cameras hugs for about two weeks now

Best get the private jet out of the hangar

Any volunteers??

"Britain should 'train and equip' a 'citizen army' to prepare the country for war on land, the head of the Army has warned.

General Sir Patrick Sanders, the outgoing Chief of the General Staff, said even that would be 'not enough' as he pointed to allies in eastern and northern Europe 'laying the foundations for national mobilisation'.

In a speech today, the general - who has been openly critical of staff shortages in the military - said boosting Army numbers in preparation for a potential conflict would need to be a 'whole-of-nation undertaking'.

The comments are being seen as a warning that British men and women should be ready for a call-up to the armed forces if Nato goes to war with Russia."

Be interesting to see how may of those "We need to defend our country against foreign invaders" dickheads step forward.
A lot of them have their own crusader's uniforms, mind you.

Quote: Lazzard @ 24th January 2024, 3:43 PM

Be interesting to see how may of those "We need to defend our country against foreign invaders" dickheads step forward.
A lot of them have their own crusader's uniforms, mind you.

Maybe Penny Mordaunt can join up, she likes fighting, well telling others to anyway

It won't happen of course

It's just the armies way of saying "oi, we've lost nearly 30% of our troops since you pillocks came to power- pull yer fkn fingers out or we will be utterly defenceless"

Just something else on a huge, huge list of epic Tory failures

Quote: Lazzard @ 24th January 2024, 1:32 PM

Richard Tice, leader and Owner of The Reform Party, has dropped a bollock by visiting Ukraine to help distribute medical aid.
It seems a lot of his base are pro-Russian - and therefore against aiding Ukraine.
Many have said the will no longer vote for Reform.
You'd think Dickie would be a little more au fait with the former Brexit Party's Russian connections.

He always reminds me of Cuprinol Man, only even more wooden.

Quote: Firkin @ 24th January 2024, 2:51 PM

Jimmy Carter is 99, and they would look for someone younger than Biden. I'm guessing that's what DaButt was refering too, unless I've missed something ?

Of course! He's definitely not ineligible to run though.

Quote: chipolata @ 25th January 2024, 6:32 AM

He always reminds me of Cuprinol Man, only even more wooden.

Latest yougov poll has Reform just 7 points behind the Conservatives

Quote: lofthouse @ 25th January 2024, 10:56 AM

Latest yougov poll has Reform just 7 points behind the Conservatives

Hard to say whether that's good news or bad news.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 25th January 2024, 11:06 AM

Hard to say whether that's good news or bad news.

Depends.
If it splits the Tory vote - all well and good.
It'll mean a strong majority for Labour and the ability to get things done.
If it forces the Tories to move further to the right, in order to nullify the Reform effect (and they manage to do that without splitting the party) we'll end up with a smaller Labour majority and a fully toxic Conservative party.

On GB News (especially {Patrick Christys) they're pushing hard for yet anther tory leadership election, and another 'roll of the dice' to try and save the Tories. I don't know whether they genuinely think Suella can save them (unlikely, even if they get her) or if they just want maximum carnage to help Farage and Reform UK.

There is no way Biden will be replaced just months before the election, short of actually dying. If the dem campaign thinks his age is becoming a hindrance then they should've thought of that 5 years ago.

Quote: chipolata @ 25th January 2024, 11:47 AM

On GB News (especially {Patrick Christys) they're pushing hard for yet anther tory leadership election, and another 'roll of the dice' to try and save the Tories. I don't know whether they genuinely think Suella can save them (unlikely, even if they get her) or if they just want maximum carnage to help Farage and Reform UK.

Again, depends on who their paymasters are and what they want - in this case it's The Legatum Institute and a big-shot hedge fund manager.
Whilst they might sympathise with Reforms idealogy, they're not stupid, and know that Reform are nowhere near getting one seat let alone forming a government.
So they would prefer a Tory lurch to the right and a reduced Labour majority, as opposed to a Tory wipe-out.
Unless they're playing the long game.
The really long game.

Yep changing PM AGAIN, is about reducing the size of the massacre that may ensue

I doubt it's to try and achieve a victory - even they know by now it's quite unlikely

Quote: lofthouse @ 24th January 2024, 12:51 PM

Rumours that Royal Mail may start to deliver on just three days a week only

Is there ANYTHING in this country that isn't being ground into the dirt?

Somewhat distorted news , I think.

What I read was that Off-com had said that one of the ways Royal Mail could save money was by delivering on only 3 days of the week.

Just a hypothesis not a rumour of anything actually planned.

But I guess this is typical of the way that you read reports.

Surely the point is that the Royal Mail , which has been going since 1635 , is now in such a state that the regulator is having to even suggest such controversial measures

Like I said, there is barely an institution left in the UK that isn't a bloody shambolic mess