The general pop/rock - music thread Page 243

Yup, I knew about that.
Last Christmas, I gave you my heart... That means you've had an entire f**king year to get over it. Shit happens to everyone, time to move on.

The Pogues - RIP Shane MacGowan. He won a writing competition before getting into music, and for me, he's one of the best modern day lyricists of my days, up there with Dylan. I can see why Joe Strummer took over from Shane, his lyrics were pretty nifty too.

https://youtu.be/M9bNCuf-l34?si=RxdiUC6Vsdh0xndA

Still nothing to back up the assertion that "Paul McCartney was visiting America. He was sitting, resting, when he heard a woman screaming. He looked up to see a Black woman being surrounded by the police. The police had her handcuffed, and were beating her. He thought the woman had committed a terrible crime, only to find out that "the crime" she committed was to sit in a section reserved for whites." Because it never happened.

Just love the song. Never keen on people dissecting and reasoning songs - simply enjoy it for what it is.

A wonderful gig last night. I saw Deaf School in Islington. A brilliant and imaginative theatrical band including Mrs. Suggs.

I saw them quite a few times in Erics , I can remember time when everyone wore their badge which was shaped like school prefects, But the best Liverpool band I have ever seen that never really took off was Afraid of Mice . Phil Jones their main man was as talented as Bowie IMHO sadly he got a deal with Charisma and it went to his head and he was dropped by them. To this day three of his tracks remain in my top 30.

Quote: DaButt @ 2nd December 2023, 11:53 AM

Still nothing to back up the assertion that "Paul McCartney was visiting America. He was sitting, resting, when he heard a woman screaming. He looked up to see a Black woman being surrounded by the police. The police had her handcuffed, and were beating her. He thought the woman had committed a terrible crime, only to find out that "the crime" she committed was to sit in a section reserved for whites." Because it never happened.

There's an eye witness statement on the previous page (see the video). This was before everyone had a mobile phone to do a BLM thing, eye witness statements are still used in court. Macca had no boat in that race, so why would he risk perjury and alienating the American audience he was there to woo ? Luther King was shot around that time, "Give peace a chance."

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 16th December 2023, 10:00 AM

I saw them quite a few times in Erics , I can remember time when everyone wore their badge which was shaped like school prefects, But the best Liverpool band I have ever seen that never really took off was Afraid of Mice . Phil Jones their main man was as talented as Bowie IMHO sadly he got a deal with Charisma and it went to his head and he was dropped by them. To this day three of his tracks remain in my top 30.

What happened to him? Are there any official releases?

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 16th December 2023, 10:00 AM

That might have been Tony Visconti's doing as he was Bowie's long time producer and did their lp as well.

Spot on Visconti was working with him at the time. On the same note I saw Mick Jones a few times when he was working with the Farm.

Quote: Chappers @ 16th December 2023, 3:22 PM

What happened to him? Are there any official releases?

They did an album but it wasn't a patch on their live shows. I use to watch them in the Bow & Arrow then they did a week of lunch time shows in town that would be full hours before they came on but their live shows were way better than the album.

Slade's Noddy Holder has opened up on his cancer diagnosis and the moment he was told he had just six months to live.
The singer revealed his first thought following his diagnosis in 2018 was for his family.
Appearing on Kate Thornton's White Wine Question Time, he said: "I'm a sort of happy-go-lucky sort and I thought, if it's six months, it's six months; I've had a great life and I've had a lot of fun in my life."

Bugger...

☹️

I've just ordered my tickets for Lust for Life 2024 tour.

I'd recommend it to anyone who like Iggy Pop, Blondie, Pistols etc.

https://www.lustforlifetour.com/

Katie Pukeprick is shit.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 2nd January 2024, 5:36 PM

Katie Pukeprick is shit.

She was fantastic.