The Young Ones Page 18

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 31st January 2023, 11:25 PM

Never mind Bottom or The Young Ones
The best out of the three was Filthy Rich and Catflap

Interesting theory 🤔

Wrong, but certainly interesting

🤓

Started watching some of the Young Ones Blu Ray extras - some of which gives you a real sense of how groundbreaking the show was at the time. And it brings home quite how many appearances there were from other well known faces, like Terry Jones, Keith Allen, Robbie Coltrane etc.

It also demonstrates how much shit they made before the real thing. I guess for every Catcher in the Rye there are a hundred Elaines. I dug out The Dangerous Brothers on BoobToob and it was almost as shit as Bottom.

There's an excellent article about the freeze frames from The Young Ones over here at https://www.dirtyfeed.org/2023/01/freeze-frame-part-1/

Thanks for the heads up. I have two.
The quality looks better to me, but that might be cos my own editions were total and utter shit - the vhs and then the Spanish DVD.
Boom Boom is shit. In fact most of their stuff was shit. The Dangerous Brothers are sub Bottom, Saturday Night Shite is more up and down than my mother outside a mosque, and Ben Elton is high on energy, low on gags. The Young Ones is still beyond awesome, thank f**k.

I just discovered that The Young Ones was the first non-music broadcast on MTV in 1985. I didn't realise it was introduced to an American audience so soon after it was first on British television.

Quote: Ben @ 4th February 2023, 6:09 PM

There's an excellent article about the freeze frames from The Young Ones over here at https://www.dirtyfeed.org/2023/01/freeze-frame-part-1/

Interesting, thanks for that. A lot of other stuff to go through so bookmarked :)

Quote: fasty @ 12th December 2023, 6:00 AM

Interesting, thanks for that. A lot of other stuff to go through so bookmarked :)

It's amazing how many details they crammed in, years before DVDs.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 11th December 2023, 7:48 PM

I just discovered that The Young Ones was the first non-music broadcast on MTV in 1985. I didn't realise it was introduced to an American audience so soon after it was first on British television.

It never took off in America, partly cos it was so poorly publicised. The episodes were broadcast haphazardly, on a f**king music channel. The words 'pearls', 'swine' and 'c**ts' suggest themselves.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 22nd December 2022, 11:13 AM

By a curious coincidence, that lovely picture was first posted just after I was chatting to all my friend about which Young One would be the best in bed. Yes, that is the level my '''life''' reaches. We decided on Mike. Vyv is fun but too pissed to perform, Rik is - as they say in Italian - all smoke and no steak, and Neil would be too desperate for a spiritual lurve experience to do the business. Well done, Mike!

Vyv for me (judging by that picture)

The uncertainty of being eaten afterwards would add to the excitement.

For next year https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X3znDsbE6PU

I love how Dawn starts apologising and leaves close to tears and always wondered which writer thought of that scene. I didn't realise the Bluray version has new extras so will have to buy it. I don't have a Blueray player so will probably just stick it on the bonnet of my car.

I set up a new facebook account just for joining groups like Terrible Art In Charity Shops and Alan Partridge Quotes and joined The Young Ones - Quotes group but everything I posted was being automatically declined based on group rules despite not breaking any of the rules. I gave up and left the group the bunch of lavatory bowls.

Has there ever been a bigger waste of f**king time than Facebook fan pages?
Paul McCartney fan page
Paul McCartney fan signs up.
Paul McCartney fan writes, Hey, I'm a Paul McCartney fan!
Paul McCartney fan responds, Hey, I'm a Paul McCartney fan too!
Another Paul McCartney fan writes, Hey, I'm a Paul McCartney fan as well! Looks like we gotta Paul McCartney fan on a Paul McCartney fan page!

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 2nd April 2024, 8:30 AM

I love how Dawn starts apologising and leaves close to tears and always wondered which writer thought of that scene.

It's exactly what I loved about the Young Ones and what some people object to: They'd just chuck random shit in just cos it's funny.
The Blu-ray is worth investing in. I can't believe it took 'em so f**king long.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 2nd April 2024, 11:19 AM

Has there ever been a bigger waste of f**king time than Facebook fan pages?
Paul McCartney fan page
Paul McCartney fan signs up.
Paul McCartney fan writes, Hey, I'm a Paul McCartney fan!
Paul McCartney fan responds, Hey, I'm a Paul McCartney fan too!
Another Paul McCartney fan writes, Hey, I'm a Paul McCartney fan as well! Looks like we gotta Paul McCartney fan on a Paul McCartney fan page!

It's exactly what I loved about the Young Ones and what some people object to: They'd just chuck random shit in just cos it's funny.
The Blu-ray is worth investing in. I can't believe it took 'em so f**king long.

The Alan Partridge page used to be good a few years ago but now it's full of half-arsed posts with a picture of a random transsexual and the caption "ohh ladyboys" and variations of it get posted several times a day. No-one seems to be putting any effort in to posts so I'll probably leave the group soon.

Just been reading about The Young Ones Blu-ray boxset and all the extras. I know a bloke who works at Rumbelows that sells cheap Blue-ray players.