The Young Ones Page 13

Quote: Aaron @ 20th March 2022, 4:52 PM

The trouble is, the people making these decisions actively believe against the power of the market, and against the rights and abilities of the individual to choose and watch and judge. That is why the cuts are being made in the first place: they believe they are a higher order and have some kind of responsibility to censor and wipe in order to 'protect' the little people, either from some imagined hurt or from ideas to which our poor brains are unaccustomed.

It's essentially the same idea that women shouldn't be enfranchised because their minds are not capable of comprehending serious issues.

Are there actual cuts or is it just a trigger warning?

Quote: chipolata @ 20th March 2022, 6:03 PM

Are there actual cuts or is it just a trigger warning?

In the case of The Young Ones, I think it is just a new warning, yes.

Trigger warnings are fine, and allow audiences to make the decision to watch it or not. Not quite sure why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist as the show appears to still be available to watch as it was originally shown.

Quote: Aaron @ 20th March 2022, 4:52 PM

they believe they are a higher order and have some kind of responsibility to censor and wipe

We've all come across people like that.

Quote: chipolata @ 20th March 2022, 6:37 PM

Trigger warnings are fine, and allow audiences to make the decision to watch it or not. Not quite sure why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist as the show appears to still be available to watch as it was originally shown.

I tend to suspect that if you're coming to something like The Young Ones you more or less know what to expect, so the warnings are a bit superfluous really. But yes, they certainly make things clear, and I ultimately don't object to them if people really want to put them in place.

Some people feel even that is offensively patronising; and especially with the likes of The Young Ones where - if I've understood correctly - the things being warned against are the most hard-hitting parts of anti-racist and anti-homophobic messaging, that these warnings nullify those messages that the writers planted.

Others just get angry because it reminds them of the much heavier handed full-on cutting.

Hmm, I find myself having to be pro trigger warnings. If they allow a show to be seen as first shown then they're a happy compromise. So, the channels are going to repeat Love Thy Neighbour, Mind Your Language and It Ain't Half Hot Mum in full with trigger warnings now are they? Can't wait.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 20th March 2022, 9:04 PM

Hmm, I find myself having to be pro trigger warnings. If they allow a show to be seen as first shown then they're a happy compromise. So, the channels are going to repeat Love Thy Neighbour, Mind Your Language and It Ain't Half Hot Mum in full with trigger warnings now are they? Can't wait.

I think you can get them on various streaming platforms. Not sure many channels would repeat them because they're tired old tat that wouldn't appeal to anybody but septuagenarians and above.

Quote: chipolata @ 21st March 2022, 10:13 AM

Not sure many channels would repeat them because they're tired old tat that wouldn't appeal to anybody but septuagenarians and above.

Feigning at veering back on topic, The Young Ones never had much airtime in Southeast Asia (I've never seem it broadcast in such nations), whereas Mind Your Language is repeated every few years, sometimes dubbed, but usually with subtitles and remains popular across different demographics. That probably says more about the quality of viewing options, rather than the quality of Mind Your Language. Most cable channels seem to be broadcasting dreadful local soap operas or incessant garbage like Britain's Wildest Masked Masterchefs Strictly House Flipping Wild Tuna on Paranormal Ice. The Young Ones and even old reruns of MYL are a pleasant antidote to such dross.

Quote: chipolata @ 20th March 2022, 6:37 PM

Problem is,if you read the whole article,the BBC are editing content as they see fit as well as the warnings.So they are not broadcast as originally shown.

Quote: tenbeersbold @ 21st March 2022, 4:05 PM

Problem is,if you read the whole article,the BBC are editing content as they see fit as well as the warnings.So they are not broadcast as originally shown.

As I understand it you can watch it on Britbox in it's original form with a trigger warning. I think it's also on Youtube. And the DVDs can be got off Amazon or eBay. So the show is out there in it's original form, which you can watch and - despite what some people think - the Woke Police won't kick down your door and force you to transition into a woman and take the knee.

The article itself is very vague and doesn't give details of the show being cut on the BBC (and also links to other articles that are literally just articles about discussions on GB News, which is hardly great journalism). If it was cut, I don't think it should have been, but I can understand how nervous execs are about racial slurs, no matter the intention. Then again I'm surprised it was repeated since it has aged really badly and wouldn't exactly pull in the viewers.

Quote: tenbeersbold @ 21st March 2022, 4:05 PM

Which article are we talking about?

Quote: chipolata @ 22nd March 2022, 10:12 AM

As I understand it you can watch it on Britbox in it's original form with a trigger warning. I think it's also on Youtube. And the DVDs can be got off Amazon or eBay. So the show is out there in it's original form, which you can watch and - despite what some people think - the Woke Police won't kick down your door and force you to transition into a woman and take the knee.

The article itself is very vague and doesn't give details of the show being cut on the BBC (and also links to other articles that are literally just articles about discussions on GB News, which is hardly great journalism). If it was cut, I don't think it should have been, but I can understand how nervous execs are about racial slurs, no matter the intention. Then again I'm surprised it was repeated since it has aged really badly and wouldn't exactly pull in the viewers.

Please take your political hyperbole elsewhere.The quoted article even states from the BBC itself that it" "reviews and refreshes" content on the streaming service regularly to "ensure that the right guidance is in place".What do you think refreshes means?!? Karen Dunbar even did a recent documentary that shows her in the BBC offices as they decide what to cut from Chewin' the Fat for recent broadcast.So stop trying to obfuscate what is actually going on.Unless you actually believe the BBC after censoring its archive content then goes on to loan the unedited uncut version to Britbox.Maybe that explains your belief that Britbox streams unpopular shows too!

Quote: tenbeersbold @ 22nd March 2022, 10:34 AM

The quoted article even states from the BBC itself that it" "reviews and refreshes" content on the streaming service regularly to "ensure that the right guidance is in place".What do you think refreshes means?!?

It means they regularly check that the guidance is appropriate.
Couldn't be clearer.
And the quote is from Britbox - not the BBC.

Quote: chipolata @ 22nd March 2022, 10:12 AM

despite what some people think - the Woke Police won't kick down your door and force you to transition into a woman.

Damn. ☹

Makes me wonder when they cut or bleep or trigger warn shows made by progressive liberal non anythingist types of their day like TYO if they are making viewers new to them think they were vile nonpcers too. Maybe a follow on message is needed to explain how saintly they were and still are, who's left of them.

Quote: Lazzard @ 22nd March 2022, 11:09 AM

It means they regularly check that the guidance is appropriate.
Couldn't be clearer.
And the quote is from Britbox - not the BBC.

Here's another fact for you from the article;
"However, it has since been reported that BBC chose to cut that particular scene out when it has aired re-runs in the past."
Oh and just to clear up another of your misunderstandings
From wikipedia;
BritBox is a U.S. subscription video on-demand service owned by BBC Worldwide and ITV plc
Oh and I have actually watched the recent Karen Dunbar docu where she actually sits in as the BBC censors decide what to cut from Chewin' the Fat.
Now that couldn't be clearer now could it.
The BBC censors/edits its archive and Britbox is owned by the BBC.
Glad I could straighten that out for you!