The Young Ones Page 17

Quote: Natalie Salat @ 22nd December 2022, 8:31 AM

my point was that more people would crucify a comedy about a bunch of grown up women acting like irresponsible children.

Like Absolutely Fabulous you mean? Or Girls on Top?

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd December 2022, 8:38 PM

Or Fleabag.

Finally ordered for next wank. Funtabulous.

Any news on the differences of this Blu Ray compared to the old DVDs? I love 'The Young Ones' obviously but I do wonder quite how much better it can look in 1080p to make it worth buying again. Also, where's our bloody Kevin Turvey discs?

Quote: lborl @ 28th January 2023, 3:37 PM

Any news on the differences of this Blu Ray compared to the old DVDs? I love 'The Young Ones' obviously but I do wonder quite how much better it can look in 1080p to make it worth buying again.

I got it for Christmas but haven't watched any yet. So that's of no help! Ha! Ha! Still, I would imagine that it's more about all the extras it has that makes it worth buying, plus that it's completely uncut whereas some of the previous DVD releases had some missing bits due to copyright issues (music) or whatever.

You won't see a lot of difference, no. But stuff filmed on location for Series 2 has all been redone in native HD and looks lovely.

The extras are worth the upgrade though.

I've heard that the pic quality isn't much better cos it was filmed shittily in the first place, but paradoxickally that may be part of the charm. For the same reason, I prefer black 'n' white Laurel and Hardy. In any case, those extra features are quite mouth-watering.
My copy should be srriving tomorrow.,,

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 29th January 2023, 1:14 PM

I've heard that the pic quality isn't much better cos it was filmed shittily in the first place

Yes, that's essentially the issue!

VERY METAL

Yeah, there were cuts from the vids and repeats, notably the racist policeman skit in Boring, for obvious reasons. Personally I love that bit, and think the language is justified by the context - it's the Hell scene earlier on I skip. I also remember a 95 repeat of Nasty that lost the card-game scene - not a great loss, but it's the pwrinciple of the thing, wreally. Catflap had some cuts too, for copyright reasons, and UK Gold butchered Happy Families to leave time for ads.
I ordered this set for the extras and I don't mind that the picture quality isn't really different. If anything, it's kinda cool they made something so creative and influential on such a crap budget.

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd December 2022, 8:38 PM

Some have argued that Girls on Top was less successful than The Young Ones because we live in a sexist society. This is not true. It's because Girls on Top was total and utter f**king shit, and The Young Ones was beyond awesome.
PS We live in a sexist society.

Let's hope the far superior "Bottom" gets a similar dvd release too

🤓

Bottom is total and utter f**king shit. The fact that it contains half the major cast of The Young Ones is too much. And too much of something is bad enough.

Quote: lofthouse @ 31st January 2023, 1:03 PM

Let's hope the far superior "Bottom" gets a similar dvd release too

🤓

I never really got into Bottom. (Maybe I should re-phrase that)

Never mind Bottom or The Young Ones
The best out of the three was Filthy Rich and Catflap

Is this a joke? Catflap was a flop and I'm amazed posterity has treated it so kindly. I can only assume those dismal Bottom live shows have worn down our sensibilities.