I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,546

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th March 2023, 9:43 AM

In Hollywood, you cannot say "actress" anymore for a female actor - YET "The actor who has won the Best Actress award is................."

If that isn't double-speak, I don't know what is.

What a load of utter bollocks, as it falls flat on its face in a heap of hypocritical wokery.

Quote: Crindy @ 13th March 2023, 10:00 AM

"You can't even say actress anymore. The proof is that there's an Oscar for best actress."

Isn't that what I was just stating ❓

Lineker's back.
BBC is now reviewing its impartiality guidelines.
Victory for common sense.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th March 2023, 9:43 AM

In Hollywood, you cannot say "actress" anymore for a female actor - YET "The actor who has won the Best Actress award is................."

If that isn't double-speak, I don't know what is.

What a load of utter bollocks, as it falls flat on its face in a heap of hypocritical wokery.

Is that what they said last night?
Last year they used the word 'Actresses' when announcing "Best Actress in a Leading Role".
I remember because it was lovely Anthony Hopkins doing the honours.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th March 2023, 10:12 AM

Isn't that what I was just stating ❓

So who's telling you that you can't say actress anymore?

You're both taking me literally, and completely missing the point I was making, so I've lost interest now.

I wasn't.
i was asking if they said "The actor who has won the Best Actress award is..."
Because if they said it this year, and didn't last. year, there has been a change of policy.
Which would have been interesting.

We are being told that the man who bought his job as the head of the BBC is there because of his competency and experience. So how come it took the BBC a week to work out how to deal with a Tweet?, leaving its flagship sports program in tatters and its world wide perception for impartiality in doubt. Then after that climbdown publicly and apologise to the person they wanted the apology from.
Meanwhile one global bank buys out a troubled global bank within 48 hours despite the enormous complexities. Surely we want the one who can put and then pull a deal like that together to be running the BBC rather than its current owner.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 13th March 2023, 1:10 PM

its world wide perception for impartiality

I don't think such a perception ever existed. All media sources are biased. Claims of impartiality are just that: claims.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 13th March 2023, 1:10 PM

Meanwhile one global bank buys out a troubled global bank within 48 hours despite the enormous complexities.

Speaking of the American end of the business, it's important to note that the big-money customers in California tend to be very big donors to the political party currently in power, so there was little doubt that the bailout would take place. There's not enough money to bail out many others, so things could get very dicey very quickly.

I agree impartiality is not an absolute but it is a perception and if that perception becomes endangered then action needs to be taken.
As for the banks it was refreshing to se Joe Biden outline the actions being taken while reiterating that the tax payer was not involved.

Did I read something recently about the rules put in place in the banking sector following the 2008 crash being relaxed by the government?

Seems risky when a bank like this can go tits up, just because interest rates have risen

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 13th March 2023, 2:44 PM

As for the banks it was refreshing to se Joe Biden outline the actions being taken while reiterating that the tax payer was not involved.

I am quite confident that taxpayers will lose one way or another. Never trust a politician to speak the truth.

Quote: Lazzard @ 13th March 2023, 10:13 AM

Lineker's back.
BBC is now reviewing its impartiality guidelines.
Victory for common sense.

The trouble is he'll be more smug than ever now.

Quote: Chappers @ 13th March 2023, 4:56 PM

The trouble is he'll be more smug than ever now.

Well, let's be honest, that's the Beeb's fault for being so silly about it all.

Is he smug or does his confidence come from his achievements in both his chosen sport and his media skills along with his business acumen? Sometimes envy can create distortions to a persons views. Its one to ponder at the very least

He comes across as a decent, caring and perfectly pleasant chap

Ergo- 'smug' to the right wing rabble who see these qualities as faults and weaknesses

It suits them to champion the likes of Jeremy clarkson instead - I.e, arrogant spiteful bullying arseholes

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 13th March 2023, 5:24 PM

Is he smug or does his confidence come from his achievements in both his chosen sport and his media skills along with his business acumen? Sometimes envy can create distortions to a persons views. Its one to ponder at the very least

Yes I know he played for Everton.