I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,541

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 9th March 2023, 11:45 AM

You can be sure that the people who care about the treatment of immigrants will have been just as concerned about the welfare of people during lockdown as it would be consistent with a caring person.

Indeed, that's how empathy works, nothing is mutually exclusive!
Re lockdowns, I knew they could work but also hated them because I knew they would isolate people (and eventually I got really pissed off with them myself, but stuck to the rules like a good little boy which honestly these days, knowing what we now know, makes me feel like a mug).
And of course re this immigration, they've made safer legal routes harder, and now the smugglers/traffickers make a sweet penny and will still have people coming over on dinghies, even if it was a totally open door here. Without viable workable safe legal routes (and the Dublin agreement went out the window when we left EU), it's an uphill struggle to ensure people's safety. Of the party's making.

Empathy for all!

And also for people I really can't stand and who I abhor. Like I find Darren Grimes of GB News (and his cohorts there) an odious little shit but I still felt sad and sorry for him when he had to move back home due to mental health issues.

Complete virtue signalling.
'I care - you don't care, therefore you are a c**t.
I'm going to write all over social media that I care and condemn those that appear to not.
I aren't actually going to do a single effective thing about it but my words of empathy will be enough.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 10th March 2023, 8:34 AM

I aren't actually going to do a single effective thing about it but my words of empathy will be enough.

Bless you my son - there's a place for you in heaven

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 10th March 2023, 8:34 AM

Complete virtue signalling.
'I care - you don't care, therefore you are a c**t.
I'm going to write all over social media that I care and condemn those that appear to not.

Is this aimed at me?

I don't actually think anyone is a c**t for not expressing what they care about (or indeed even if they don't care at all, we all have our different tolerances and thoughts) that's just putting words in my mouth.

If you pay tax then you can have an opinion on how that money is spent and if you're happy for it to go on asylum seekers etc, then you can't by definition be virtue signalling. And since Lineker pays more tax than most of us, and has actually had refugees in his home, he's virtually the opposite of a virtue signaller. And I say that as somebody who doesn't really like Lineker.

Of course there are plenty of people who like the proposals

Far-right leaders all over Europe have been glowing in their praise in the last couple of days

Far-right party leaders praising a bill that by our own admission is likely to be illegal

We should be so very very proud

What some call 'Virtue Signaling' I call 'Bottle' Because some are ready to stand up and say 'That's wrong' I'm not mad on mass immigration but to take away the right/ resources for them to apply in the first instance and them cal them Illegal because they persist is wrong on every level.
Priority wise is see the state of the NHS , food prices, low wages, high energy, lack of social care for the elderly , mentally ill. homelessness and the theft of tax money by Tory MPs and their cronies along with the loss of the Common Market to be a tad higher in the scheme of things.
But thats just me .

Wasn't part of brexit that we wanted to stop sending millions and millions of pounds to the EU?

Why are we announcing today that we will be giving half a BILLION quid to France to stop the boats crossing the channel?

Zut alors

Have all the frogs taken up goldfish keeping?

The BBC aren't going to broadcast the last episode of David Attenborough's latest - and last - series, for fear of a backlash from Tory MP's and the right-wing press.
It's going to be tucked away on iPlayer.
His last broadcast.
After 71 years.
The price of pointing out the facts.
Talk about Cancel Culture.

Quote: Lazzard @ 10th March 2023, 4:36 PM

The BBC aren't going to broadcast the last episode of David Attenborough's latest - and last - series

Talk about Cancel Culture.

Seems to be self-cancelation, doesn't it?

Quote: DaButt @ 10th March 2023, 4:56 PM

Seems to be self-cancelation, doesn't it?

Well, yes.
They're just running scared.
Pretty shameful, really.

Serves him right.

Ian Wright refusing to appear also , in solidarity

MOTD.... is on strike!

Apparently the Attenborough thing is inaccurate, and this episode wasn't meant for TV, and a separate film acquired for Iplayer. According to a statement from the BBC.

Gary Lineker thing is well overblown, Andrew Neil (who did do a news/current affairs show) kept tweeting all sorts while at the BBC, and Alan Sugar fronts a show and still does that.

Johnson's appointments doing a bit of knife twisting I assume.