I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,543

There is no way in the world that Gary Lineker will apologise he doesn't need to in the first instance so it would be seen as Kowtowing more than an apology anyway.
As for his 'Acolytes' his support appears to be on all levels of the game from commenters to players and no doubt some managers.
What Lineker was opposed to was the rhetoric being used, I oppose it myself as do many.
These people are not resolving the immigration issue like they're supposed to have been doing for over ten years and god knows how many Home Secretaries. They are instead demonising these people and hoping that the hate they generate will cover their incompetence.

I've read and listened to as much as I can stand with regards to Lineker - he can preach all he likes, but when he compares the/any situation to 1930s Germany with the rise of Nazism, he's being grossly disrespectful to the millions who lost their lives once that movement were on the march.

And as for him and his motley crew not being on Match of the Day - good riddance I say!! It'll be a better programme without the pontificating twats. Many people have wanted this - just watch the footie!! I haven't watched MotD for yonks because I got sick and tired of them prattling on with the benefit of hindsight, aerial views of play, slow motion, freeze frame etc, and then pointing out how that player should have been there, those players shouldn't have left that big gap etc. et f**king cetera. In the heat of play none of what they say has any relevance - it's like they are playing a huge game of Subbuteo.

And one final thing- will somebody tell Lineker that he can't grow a beard, so shave that odd looking stubble he has around his gob.

If he values his £1.3M salary he will. He broke the terms of his employment contract.
It doesn't matter if you agree with him or not. The BBC can not be dragged down by one individual.
Allowing him to continue would look like they endorse his words.
As in football terms, one player is not more important than the team (or club).

I should imagine Sky or BT sport are on the phone right now.
He can afford to drop £300k or so - he's worth about 30 million.

Thus he can afford to say whatever he likes, in spite of clauses in his contract and the Beeb's own well clarified policy on major presenters expressing politically biased opinions. A luxury a young junior presenter on much less could not afford to do.

I see the rest have flounced out too.
Jeremy Corbyn is tweeting 'solidarity brothers.

Get the old Top Gear crew in to present it Oh my....if only.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 11th March 2023, 9:48 AM

Thus he can afford to say whatever he likes, in spite of clauses in his contract and the Beeb's own well clarified policy on major presenters expressing politically biased opinions. A luxury a young junior presenter on much less could not afford to do.

Alan Sugar and Pru Leith seemed to get away with it.
But then they were pro the govt - so perhaps that's the difference.

Boris Johnson has once again nominated Paul Dacre for a peerage as part of a pared-back resignation honours list despite the Daily Mail chief having previously been rejected by the appointments watchdog, the Guardian has learned.
Sources with knowledge of the list have said that Johnson has put forward Dacre's name for a second time. He had been knocked back last autumn after reported doubts raised by the House of Lords appointments commission.
If the commission raises the same objections again, it will create a major headache for the prime minister, who will have to choose whether to overrule its members or risk the wrath of one of Britain's most powerful newspaper bosses

The fascination with Linekers wages amazes me. First off who on these boards would say no to a wage like that if they were offered it? Answer no one. Secondly what the BBC hired is a 'Freelancer' a man with a pre existing and very large following who played top flight football at national and international level and who is world famous in his field, so you can hardly expect him to work for ten quid an hour.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 11th March 2023, 10:38 AM

The fascination with Linekers wages amazes me. .

Odd that , isn't it.
Yet you mention that our current PM is richer than the King you get called a "Lefty".

I know one minute they are for high earners and free speech and the next minute they're against it? I suppose its hard to be consistent when your anger supersedes your understanding.

You are missing the point on purpose (as are others) because he's on your side. But that is par for the course among the righteous brothers.
The amount of money is the salient factor. Money V scruples. No apology - no job. See how his gang buckles when given the ultimatum.
All this besides the intimation that the government is akin to the 30's nazi party.
He's dropped a bollock and backed himself into a corner.
It's quite amusing to watch it play out.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 11th March 2023, 10:51 AM

It's quite amusing to watch it play out.

Certainly is.
😂

Stephen why do you have to insult before you try to inform? Why do you have to be the victim? You have to understand that people have different views which are not attacks on you. I think having two sides serves the page, otherwise its a just an echo chamber be it left or right
For me what the Stop The Boats is about echoes what went on in Germany in the 30's And I truly believe this honestly. .
Any one with understanding of that segment of history will know full well I didn't start with Hilter racking up from nowhere saying we need death camps, It started with a slow approach a toe in the water if you will with the likes of Goebbels and Der Sturmer etc.
As a consequence The Nuremberg trials did not just deal with the Wehrmacht & SS . It hung reporters who spread hate and justified the murders of the mentally ill and gays, Jehovah Witnesses etc long before any war was declared etc etc etc.
As it stands when I hop the news channels and see whats on GB News and Talk TV I see and hear the same type of stuff. And the truly sinister side to it is that the right wing press is owned by offshore billionaires and these TV channels are losing money hand over fist,. We just don't know who is losing money and why they are doing it. or perhaps we do.

Lineker wasn't the first to compare the language around asylum seekers to the language used by Nazis, an actual holocaust survivor did and took Suella Braverman to task about it. I guess she should be cancelled too.