What have you seen at the Theatre? Page 11

A sign saying Closed.

Quote: playfull @ 15th February 2018, 5:24 PM

Took my wife to see 'Young Frankenstein' at the Garrick theatre on Monday and we both thoroughly enjoyed it! I am not a lover of musicals, but you cannot help but be swept along by the high energy performances. All the old gags were there - many very unapologetically un-pc. Only disappointment was that Ross Noble had just finished his stint as Igor, though his replacement was very good.

So you took your wife up the Garrick?

I resisted that.

Jack Absolute Flies Again, with Caroline Quentin, the new National Theatre comedy from the writer of One Man Two Guvnors is being broadcast in cinemas across the country over the next couple of weeks. Check your local cinema listings for dates and times.

Recently subscribed to National Theatre at Home - birthday present to the youngest who wants to go to drama school.
It's a fantastic resource - seen three plays so far, all comedies of a sort
Hansard, London Assurance and Young Marx with Rory Kinnear.
All very good.
They even have an interval - so next time we're going to pre-prepare some slightly warm gin & tonics, to get the full theatre experience

Off to Erith Playhouse tonight for their production of "See How They Run". Not the current film of the same name (although a film was made in 1955 with Roland Culver) but the 1944 farce by Philip King, which originally ran at the Comedy Theatre in London with Joan Hickson in the part of the maid, Ida, and was revived in 1984 at the Shaftesbury Theatre under the direectorship of Ray Cooney with a stellar cast including Derek Nimmo, Maureen Lipman, Bill Pertwee, Lisa Goddard, Christopher Timothy, Peter Blake, Michael Dennison, Carol Hawkins & Royce Mills.

It's cost me the price of the theatre ticket, return train fare and an overnight Travelodge stay but very much looking forward to it.

... and tomorrow I'm up to the Uxbridge area to see the Harefield Amateur Dramatic Society perform Don't Get Your Vicars in a Twist at St Mary's Church Hall.

Desperate to find the funds to pay for his daughter's wedding, Church Warden George comes up with the bright idea of renting the vacant vicarage to a theatrical company for a Murder Mystery Weekend.

However, before the weekend can take place Bishop Herbert appoints their first woman Vicar. Fortunately the new Vicar, Caroline Timberlake, announces that she is to visit friends at a college reunion over that weekend.

Chaos ensues as the actor playing the Bishop in the Murder Mystery weekend is mistaken by George and fellow Churchwarden Alan, for the real Bishop Herbert and the Bishop himself mistakes the actor playing the Vicar for Caroline. This fast-moving comedy brings together mistaken identities and misunderstandings.

What's not to like?

I expect Brian will be looking down fondly

Tomorrow I'm up to South Croydon to see The Mitre Players perform Alan Ayckbourn's Bedroom Farce

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 31st May 2023, 6:11 PM

Tomorrow I'm up to South Croydon to see The Mitre Players perform Alan Ayckbourn's Bedroom Farce

Don't forget to take your passport.

Off to see J M Barrie's Quality Street at the Yvonne Arnaud Theatre in Guildford tomorrow.

Written before he wrote Peter Pan, it is a comedy in four acts about two sisters who start a school "for genteel children". The original Broadway production opened in 1901 but ran for only 64 performances. The show was then produced in London, where it was a hit, running for 459 performances, making it one of the first American productions to score a bigger triumph in London than in New York, and it was frequently revived until World War II. The play was also adapted twice for film, the first in 1927 and the second in 1937, starring Katharine Hepburn and Joan Fontaine.

Interestingly, the play was so popular that Quality Street sweets were named after it and used characters from the play in their advertising and packaging:

Saw The Sound of Music at Chichester Festival Theatre today. Didn't recognise Julie Andrews though.

Tomorrow I am going to see the Crime & Comedy Theatre's production of Ground Rules, Eric Chappell's final play, at Totton (near Southampton), which will be a convenient stopping-off point following an afternoon at Goodwood races.

"Judith and Gerald look the perfect couple - he's a successful businessman, she's an aspiring counsellor, they live in a stylish suburban home and it seems nothing can spoil their happy marriage... that is until Jo and Ashley arrive on the scene! Rescuing Jo from a very public argument with her boyfriend, Judith and Gerald take her home... but when Ashley follows them, it sets off a chain of events that no-one can control. Flirting and frayed tempers lead to jealousy, confessions and misunderstandings - plus a potato in the exhaust pipe!"

Off to see Voyage Round my Father in a couple of weeks at The Malvern Theatre.
It stars Rupert Everett, who I have every confidence will chew up the scenery with gusto.
Don't see enough theatre - so looking forward to it.

Another day, another theatre trip. "Oh What a Lovely War" at the Theatre Royal, Winchester.