What have you seen at the Theatre? Page 7

Quote: bushbaby @ November 14 2009, 10:50 PM GMT

he's just directed Little Voice

Apparently, the current production of this play is even worse than the film version, which in turn was almost as dreadful as the original. Jim Cartwright really is a shit playwright, whose "it's grim oop North" plays are almost parodying the people he claims to speak for. (The LOG did a very good take-off of bad Northern playwrights - including a name-check for Cartwright - in their live show (as performed by 'Legz Akimbo').)

Jim Cartright is not shit IMO he is the sort of Richard Curtis to the Alan Bennet's Ricky Gervais. Though in saying this Alan Bennet is a much better writter than Ricky Gervais.

He's awful and I have a graph somewhere to prove it...

*hunts out bad Northern playwright statistics from a box marked 'Willy Russell'*

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ November 14 2009, 11:02 PM GMT

Jim Cartright is Richard Curtis to the Alan Bennet's Ricky Gervais.

...the f**k? Eh?

Just an oppinion from someone who loves both the theatre and sitcom.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 14 2009, 11:00 PM GMT

Apparently, the current production of this play is even worse than the film version, which in turn was almost as dreadful as the original. Jim Cartwright really is a shit playwright, whose "it's grim oop North" plays are almost parodying the people he claims to speak for. (The LOG did a very good take-off of bad Northern playwrights - including a name-check for Cartwright - in their live show (as performed by 'Legz Akimbo').)

This production is brilliant, [I saw it a couple of weeks ago] extremely funny and dark. All the actors are superb and the xfactor winner playing the young girl is excellent. All the reviews I have seen have been good.

Fair enough, bushbaby, but I just don't like the Northern grotesques the play hinges the whole thing upon. Musically, it may well be a treat, but dramatically I think it's thin and slightly condescending stuff. I do hear the girl playing the title role has a superb voice, however.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 14 2009, 11:35 PM GMT

Fair enough, bushbaby, but I just don't like the Northern grotesques the play hinges the whole thing upon. Musically, it may well be a treat, but dramatically I think it's thin and slightly condescending stuff. I do hear the girl playing the title role has a superb voice, however.

I wonder if it's that you don't get northern humour...maybe. In one scene I laughed so much till I cried, my blouse was wet through. I didn't like the film I found it boring.
Similarly, I went to Inherit the Wind the same week, [Old Vic] it's my favourite film. Kevin Spacey is in it and he's brilliant. But he makes it so much different than Spencer Tracey did in the film. Kevin says the lines as such that it is funny. Not all the time of course but I didn't find myself laughing at all watching the film. They say there's a very fine line between tragedy and comedy and Kevin proved it. It was an excellent production too

It might be that, I suppose. :)

You make me feel guilty though, I haven't been to the theatre in ever such a long time. :(

I recently watched Scrooge, portrayed by renouned actor Tommy Steele and found it both funny and life affirming. A brilliant testament, if ever there was one, to the writing skills of Charles Dickens.

The most recent thing I saw was The Woman in Black, which scared the crap out me.

One of the most recent things I saw was Cabaret, starring Wayne Sleep. That was ruddy disturbing.

May have been the most recent thing actually. *tries to think back*

Quote: sootyj @ November 14 2009, 9:06 PM GMT

I saw it this afternoon it was brilliant. Sadky only a philistine with out a soul, could fail to love the 3rd part.

Don't worry I understand the NHS now does soul transplants.

:D I did have my mind on other things which probably didn't help.

Quote: EllieJP @ November 16 2009, 10:28 AM GMT

:D I did have my mind on other things which probably didn't help.

:O I hope no-one saw you then, dorty gorl!

Quote: Moonstone @ November 16 2009, 11:22 AM GMT

:O I hope no-one saw you then, dorty gorl!

My boyfriend saw... :$