What have you seen at the Theatre? Page 10

Wow. I'd love to see a Pinter play. Or an Arthur Miller.

Book of Mormon was hilarious!

I'd like to go see a comedy, but not sure what. Definitely not a musical though!

I've seeeeen:
Dr. Faustus (Globe)
Twelfth Night (Also Globe)
Birdsong (Never made it past the previews afaik...)
Matilda the Musical
Singin' in the Rain
The History Boys
One Man, Two Guvnors

And in the next few weeks I'm going back to The Globe for The Taming of the Shrew, Midsummer Night's Dream and The Tempest. :)

Have just counted my collection of theatre programmes from the shows I've seen - 155 - and that's just the ones I've kept.

Am going to see an Alan Ayckbourn play, "Relatively Speaking", with Felicity Kendall at Wyndham's Theatre this Wednesday evening. Also looking forward to the next production there, later in the summer, "Barking In Essex", with Sheila Hancock & Lee Evans.

I love a good farce: Rookery Nook, No Sex Please We're British, Charley's Aunt, Boeing Boeing, Run For Your Wife, Not Now Darling, See How They Run, Sailor Beware, etc, etc. There's nothing quite like someone going in one door just as someone else is coming out of another door - preferably with no trousers on and, ideally, with a vicar coming up the garden path. Farces seem to work much better on stage than they do on film.

I think probably my favourite play in recent years has been "One Man Two Guvnors" (so good I saw it twice) and "Season's Greetings" (another Ayckbourn play) is very enjoyable if you can catch it around Christmas.

Took my wife to see 'Young Frankenstein' at the Garrick theatre on Monday and we both thoroughly enjoyed it! I am not a lover of musicals, but you cannot help but be swept along by the high energy performances. All the old gags were there - many very unapologetically un-pc. Only disappointment was that Ross Noble had just finished his stint as Igor, though his replacement was very good.

I've not been to the theatre for years but one show I remember is EFX with Michael Crawford at the MGM in Vegas. The size of the production was huge and the night I saw it a giant mechanical hand broke down so they closed the curtains and you could hear technicians spanners clinking while they tried to fix it. It took about 20 minutes and some people got fed up and walked out.

The hand in question can be seen at the start of this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FMPiT_3Rfc

Another one I remember is Kes that has me blubbing everytime and Road by Jim Cartwright and ever since I saw Road it's been my favourite play. It's the definition of kitchen sink drama.

Went to see The 39 Steps today. A comic version of the Hitchcock film with just 4 actors playing all the different roles involving lots of changes of costume along the way. A similar premise to The Play that Goes Wrong and Peter Pan Goes Wrong. But, despite the mayhem, the original story still comes through - although it probably helps if you've seen the film. I was particularly amused when a silhouette of Alfred Hitchcock was projected walking across the backdrop for no particular reason though not all the audience seemed to get the subtle significance of that.

Perhaps they were expecting Ralph Thomas.:)
It sounds good,I would like to see it.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 14th August 2019, 10:10 PM

Went to see The 39 Steps today. A comic version of the Hitchcock film with just 4 actors playing all the different roles involving lots of changes of costume along the way. A similar premise to The Play that Goes Wrong and Peter Pan Goes Wrong. But, despite the mayhem, the original story still comes through - although it probably helps if you've seen the film. I was particularly amused when a silhouette of Alfred Hitchcock was projected walking across the backdrop for no particular reason though not all the audience seemed to get the subtle significance of that.

Sounds great! Loved "Peter Pan Goes Wrong" - hilarious.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 14th August 2019, 10:10 PM

Went to see The 39 Steps today. A comic version of the Hitchcock film with just 4 actors playing all the different roles involving lots of changes of costume along the way... I was particularly amused when a silhouette of Alfred Hitchcock was projected walking across the backdrop for no particular reason though not all the audience seemed to get the subtle significance of that.

Enjoyed this so much that i have seen it twice. I assume the Hitchcock silhouette was a reference to his habit of briefly appearing in his films, usually in the background.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 27th May 2013, 8:53 PM

I love a good farce...There's nothing quite like someone going in one door just as someone else is coming out of another door - preferably with no trousers on and, ideally, with a vicar coming up the garden path...

I think probably my favourite play in recent years has been "One Man Two Guvnors"

One Man Two Guvnors is being shown live from the National Theatre at cinemas around the country next Thursday (26 September) and, in many cinemas, on one or two subsequent dates as well. An ideal opportunity for those who haven't been able to catch it at a theatre to do so and at an affordable price.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 19th September 2019, 7:48 PM

One Man Two Guvnors is being shown live from the National Theatre at cinemas around the country next Thursday (26 September) and, in many cinemas, on one or two subsequent dates as well. An ideal opportunity for those who haven't been able to catch it at a theatre to do so and at an affordable price.

Well, I saw it for the fifth time last night, in one form or another, and still as hilarious as ever.

The National Theatre is to show one show a week on Youtube starting with One Man Two Guvnors on Thursday 2 April, followed by Jane Eyre, Treasure Island & Twelfth Night:

https://www.londontheatre.co.uk/theatre-news/news/national-theatre-live-to-stream-shows-from-archive-for-free-every-week-on-youtube?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=27-03-20_LT_Editorial%20(2)&utm_content=

Joe Orton's farce What the Butler Saw available to watch on line courtesy of the Curve Theatre, Leicester:

https://www.curveonline.co.uk/news/watch-our-archive-recording-of-joe-ortons-what-the-butler-saw/