Wimbledon 2019 Page 3

Bugger...

Here's one for you, Ms Williams got payed the same as Mr Federer in the final for winning 4 games in under an hour in a game she hardly turned up for, and then made a sick making speech about always fighting for equality. Where was the equality in her performance with the men's loser?

Federer won 36 games in five hours, more than the winner did, creating one of the greatest finals ever and takes home the same pay packet as Serena. Eh? That's a good version of equality you got yourselves there ladies, well done indeed.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 14th July 2019, 10:03 PM

Here's one for you, Ms Williams got payed the same as Mr Federer in the final for winning 4 games in under an hour in a game she hardly turned up for, and then made a sick making speech about always fighting for equality. Where was the equality in her performance with the men's loser?

Federer won 36 games in five hours, more than the winner did, creating one of the greatest finals ever and takes home the same pay packet as Serena. Eh? That's a good version of equality you got yourselves there ladies, well done indeed.

Couldn't agree more - it's laughable.

They've got tits.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 17th July 2019, 10:28 AM

They've got tits.

I see you're feeling better. ;)

So I assume this means you're totally in favour of female footballers being paid the same as male, seeing as football matches all last the same length of time.

Cos it's all about being paid by the hour with sports isn't it.

The economics don't yet support women footballers getting paid the same as men.
But it's still early days. The world cup did a lot to promote it though.
It's the same with most sports at the moment.
My friends sister was a pro golfer. She had her tour card and everything but struggled to make ends meet every year.
She had sponsorship but was lucky to break even every season.
The prize money was really (and still is) very low.
She sustained an injury and had to have a year off - no money ended her career, not the injury.

You're sort of missing the point. As I understand it in the tournaments outside of the slams men earn considerably more than the women. The argument that men attract more viewers and so deserve more money doesn't really hold true as it tends to be big name players of both sexes that attract most viewers. And outside of the grand slams most men's tournaments are decided over three sets, so they don't even play more tennis. In other words, Serena has a perfectly valid argument when it comes to lack of equality in tennis.

Surely 'real' equality can only exist by men and women competing against each other?

Or is that too equal?

Wow, that 'gotcha' was so original and so clever that I've immediately become convinced that men truly are superior in every way.

Quote: garyd @ 18th July 2019, 12:34 AM

Surely 'real' equality can only exist by men and women competing against each other?

Or is that too equal?

You're sort of missing the point. If men and women played each other men would win because they are physically stronger and have broader shoulders, which means they'd win on serve. It would also make for spectacularly dull tennis. Which, ironically, is a problem with the men's game. Too often it all becomes about the serve, and most sets become wearily predictable slugfests in which each player wins his own service game and you get no genuine excitement until the tie break. The women's game isn't quite as serve dominated so you get more rallies and, consequently, often a more entertaining spectacle. (Yes, I know at the weekend the men's final was more entertaining than the woman's, but more often than not it's the other way around).

Again, Serena's point isn't really about herself (she pretty much earns more than most men anyway) it's more about the women lower down who attempt to earn a living on the tour and find themselves paid less than the men. Which patently isn't fair,

Quote: garyd @ 18th July 2019, 12:34 AM

That, of course, is where horse racing leads the sporting world.

In days gone by, British tennis was rather unfair to its women players - requiring them to wear clothing totally unsuitable for the playing of tennis.

The lady above is not, as might be thought, some dowdy old schoolmistress who enjoyed the occasional knockabout with a bat and ball.

It's a seven-time Wimbledon Ladies Singles champion wearing the proper outfit for ladies' tennis.

Wrist-length sleeves, floor-length dresses and stockings were de rigueur but, mercifully, the Wimbledon ladies' championship was decided on the best of "only" three sets.

Can you imagine playing even one set dressed like that?

As strange as it may seem, the lady above (seen in the 1900s) was dressed rather scantily compared with her counterparts in 1880 who were required to wear all the above plus corsets, petticoats and bustles. :O

I see Wimbledon has gone all American with the winner of each match being interviewed on the court straight after.
We're British and Wimbledon is the essence of British-ness. Let em get a shower.

Germans are not having a good week against the British this week though. Murray knocked out Otte at 22:30 last night.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 1st July 2021, 9:00 AM

Murray knocked out Otte at 22:30 last night.

Yes, I did notice that everything else was cancelled on BBC1 last night, leaving f**k all else to watch on that channel. WHY they don't have their own sports channel like say Sky OR give the 24 hour News channel over to it, is an annoying mystery to me.

I don't mind tennis, but to f**k up a whole evening devoted to it is beyond a joke.

(sucks thumb)

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 1st July 2021, 9:00 AM

I see Wimbledon has gone all American with the winner of each match being interviewed on the court straight after.