Lawrence of Arabia

Quote: Firkin @ 29th May 2019, 10:51 AM

BAFTA winners ?

The Big Sleep
The Crying Game or Phoebe Waller-Bridge
For the love of dogs
Lawrence of Arabia

Another decent guess but it's not right. :(

What I'm trying to do here is point you towards one thing which should (hopefully) leap into your mind if you correctly identify what each clue is intended to bring to mind.

It would be a huge leap to guess the connection from a single clue but, when you add two or more clues together, they work very well to give you the answer.

I can say that clue three is actually a double clue.

You might look at it and immediately say something that will act as a useful individual clue or you might say something which will point you towards the overall connection you're looking for.

Both of those things are quite obvious in the pic and, interestingly, both of them have been mentioned already.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th May 2019, 11:18 PM

Don't play the innocent when you've been fingered. :P

Not by you! I hope!!!

Quote: Chappers @ 29th May 2019, 11:30 PM

Not by you! I hope!!!

Now don't be a denier, you know you like my cheeky fondles. :$

Now before I laughingly put in a punt, can you clarify if 1/. is somebody asleep at work or just somebody asleep? And 3/. is that Fleabag relevant or just somebody crying - we need to know these things. :(

Roy Orbison

1/. In Dreams
2/. Dunno
3/. Crying
4/. Dunno

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th May 2019, 6:27 AM

Now before I laughingly put in a punt, can you clarify if 1/. is somebody asleep at work or just somebody asleep? And 3/. is that Fleabag relevant or just somebody crying - we need to know these things. :(

Roy Orbison

1/. In Dreams
2/. Dunno
3/. Crying
4/. Dunno

No, Roy Orbison is not the connection.

For clarification, let me say:

1. The clue works much better with her at work than it would if she were tucked up in bed, where I think the clue would be weaker.

3. If you see it as a picture of somebody crying, it will work elegantly in conjunction with the other clues to point you to the connection. However, the identity of the person depicted is in itself a clue to the connection.

OK, my last pop; BUT would my not having seen Fleabag be a disadvantage?

1/. Not working
2/. Miniature dog
3/. Crying Eyes
4/. Cracked

now put them together......

Ah yes! Let's see now.......It's..............er,.................it's, you know the um,............No, don't tell me....it'll come to me in a minute..........................er.....................................

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st May 2019, 6:52 AM

OK, my last pop; BUT would my not having seen Fleabag be a disadvantage?

1/. Not working
2/. Miniature dog
3/. Crying Eyes
4/. Cracked

None of the above answers is spot on but, over the course of this puzzle's lifetime, between yourself and others, you have spotted everything you need to spot in order to solve the puzzle.

Let me guide you a little further, based on what you and others have already suggested:

Every clue is intended to bring to mind a single word. The words have absolutely nothing in common with each other in terms of meaning but, when you look at all four of them as a group (or even just two of them if you use the right two) the answer will present itself to a sufficiently bright mind, or even a none-too bright mind that just happens to be having a good day. Remember, you don't need any education whatever to get this one right.

1. It's already been suggested that the woman is tired: that is exactly what the picture is intended to bring to your mind but that's not the adjective you need.

2. You are the only one who has mentioned the diminutive size of the dog. You say it's miniature but that's not the adjective you need. You're too eloquent: A child of four could come up with the right adjective.

3. Here, you're looking for a noun - a plural noun - very strongly suggested by the image.

4. Here, the correct word has already been suggested by someone other than your good self.

The fact that you have never seen an episode of "Fleabag" is absolutely no disadvantage - because I know for certain that you recognise the woman in the picture.

I personally think this is an absolutely great puzzle but, as ever, others may disagree and think it's crap.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 31st May 2019, 8:38 AM

the answer will present itself to a sufficiently bright mind, or even a none-too bright mind that just happens to be having a good day. Remember, you don't need any education whatever to get this one right.

A child of four could come up with the right adjective.

Quite chipper till I read that and has set me up for the day! :( You certainly know how to endear yourself to people. ;)

Are you in HR?

Bridge Over Troubled Water

Quote: JohnnyD @ 31st May 2019, 9:34 AM

How funny, I got that too, but how does Tired fit in with it ?

1. Tired
2. Tiny
3. Fleas
4. Dry

Bed bugs ? Fleas (they die if hot and dry) ?

Edit: just noted you said 3 was an adjective so is that along the lines of Streaming or Bridging ?
Would Connect be able to broadcaster the answer to this ?

Weary Small Tears Dry

From the first verse of song

Quote: JohnnyD @ 31st May 2019, 9:59 AM

Weary Small Tears Dry

From the first verse of song

Hmmm, that's along the lines I was thinking of relating to say a child's doll

" Here it is folks all the way from the USA! The Sleepy, Teeny, Weepy, Dry doll!"

BUT..................

Quote: Rood Eye @ 31st May 2019, 8:38 AM

Every clue is intended to bring to mind a single word.

So it IS a single word and not some version of Snow White and the Eleven Dwarfs we have never heard of?

Quote: JohnnyD @ 31st May 2019, 9:34 AM

Brilliant, JohnnyD!

When you're WEARY, feeling SMALL,
when TEARS are in your eyes, I will DRY them all.

The very first lines of "Bridge Over Troubled Water".

And, as I said, clue 3 is a double clue as it also points directly to the connection itself: BRIDGE.

Interestingly, if you put "weary", "small", "tears" and "dry" into Google, it's very first suggestion is "Bridge Over Troubled Water".

Also, if you put just "weary" and "small" into Google, it's very first video suggestion is "Bridge Over Troubled Water".

I love it!