BCG Only Connect Page 35

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st June 2019, 12:30 PM

Based purely on one name - Wild West outlaws

If that's right, I'll give you the money myself! Laughing out loud

I've been giving this one considerable thought - and I'm nowhere near finding a connection.

They share their first names with American presidents
Abe
Harry
Ike
Ronald
What do you reckon too obscure?

I see what you mean.

It's a difficult one but it's possible somebody would have come up with the right answer - eventually.

Well given your knowledge of the genre Roody I think I'll chalk that up as a win.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 1st June 2019, 12:33 PM

If that's right, I'll give you the money myself! Laughing out loud

It was a simple forlorn stab in the dark, and why is it you think everything you state is so funny? Along with the regular "did you see what I did there" in previous posts, as if we're all morons. Unimpressed

Quote: Rood Eye @ 1st June 2019, 12:33 PM

I've been giving this one considerable thought - and I'm nowhere near finding a connection.

Tried putting everything you can think of into Google you mean. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Rood Eye @ 1st June 2019, 2:05 PM

It's a difficult one but it's possible somebody would have come up with the right answer - eventually.

See above. :P

Herc, old chap - I think you'll find "If that's right, I'll give you the money myself" or something very like it was a popular and always well-received catchphrase on "Family Fortunes", trotted out by Les Dennis whenever a contestant came up with an answer that Les thought was highly unlikely to be correct.

I never saw anybody take offence at the remark and I see no reason why you should upon this occasion.

With regard to my frequent use of "Do you see what I did there?" I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that you are probably the only person on BCG who thinks I'm seriously asking fellow members whether or not they understand the comedic skills I have employed in making the clever remark to which the question refers.

I believe that even my sternest BCG critics are well aware that the expression is in common use in the world of comedy as a joke-phrase by which a performer comedically draws attention to his own wit.

I've said it before, I'm saying it now and I'll probably it say many times in the future: every time a writer on an Internet forum writes something believing it to be funny and inoffensive, there is quite a good chance that someone is going to come round and punch his head in because his words or the intention behind them have been misinterpreted.

He's a malapert.
(now Google that too)

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 1st June 2019, 4:00 PM

He's a malapert.
(now Google that too)

I am indeed.

(and I did). Laughing out loud

"Herc, old chap - I think you'll find "If that's right, I'll give you the money myself" or something very like it was a popular and always well-received catchphrase on "Family Fortunes", trotted out by Les Dennis whenever a contestant came up with an answer that Les thought was highly unlikely to be correct.
I never saw anybody take offence at the remark and I see no reason why you should upon this occasion.

1/. Don't patronise me.

2/. You completely misinterpreted what I said. YES, I know the catchphrase - only someone living on the moon of planet Zerg would not know that one, the point I was making, which you have conveniently missed, is why you think everything you state is so bleedin' hilarious that you have to round it off with a LOL emoticon.

"With regard to my frequent use of "Do you see what I did there?" I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that you are probably the only person on BCG who thinks I'm seriously asking fellow members whether or not they understand the comedic skills I have employed in making the clever remark to which the question refers."

3/. Yes, I know the phrase of course and subtly used it can be very funny, BUT ditto, it kills it dead with the LOL emoticon. 'comedic skills I have employed' Oh really ? Besides, you are using it to point out to people how clever you think you are.

"I believe that even my sternest BCG critics are well aware that the expression is in common use in the world of comedy as a joke-phrase by which a performer comedically draws attention to his own wit."

4/. Yes, but those people are funny., and as you've brought up your "sternest BCG critics" at least you acknowledge you have upset a number of people on this forum (me natch) and while I have been away navel gazing and de-fluffing I have had a few PMs and emails from BCG members wanting to know where I was and when I mentioned you being the reason the general remark was "Oh him!", the one who steals people's posts and re-posts as his own and Googles everything so he looks like a very funny, very smart person.

Yes, you have been sussed, and not just by me.

Welcome back, Herc.

You have been sorely missed!

(Do you see what I did there?)

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: Rood Eye @ 14th June 2019, 9:48 AM

You have been sorely missed!

In your case it couldn't be "sorely" as you're too thick skinned.............or just thick.

Whooooo! Put your handbags away girls!

Ok, a new un.
And all four clues in one go

A gadget
The river Danube
A small child
A large person

I presume everyone is bored with this now..
The answer:
The nicknames for the first four atomic bombs.

A gadget: the first successful nuclear test was of a bomb nicknamed "the Gadget". I didn't know that.
The river Danube: I have absolutely no idea which nuclear bomb this clue refers to.
A small child: the nuclear bomb on Hiroshima was nicknamed "Little Boy". I knew that.
A large person: the nuclear bomb on Nagasaki was nicknamed "Fat Man". I knew that.