Graham Gooch
John Virgo
Henri Leconte

all share their surname with a film director

Imtiaz Ali
Martin Gooch
Clement Virgo
Patrice Leconte

I have a feeling that's not the connection Alf is looking for but it's the best I've got at this moment in time. Laughing out loud

Tell Google that's not bad but no director's cigar. One hour left. Another clue for you then, When they were doing this it was one of the rare occasions when these stars couldn't be accused of making an exhibition of themselves. Tick tock...

Waxworks? Tussauds' Waxworks?

They were all number one in their sport assuming the French chap was seeded #1 in France.

Is it about gambled ? Or have they've all been involved in light entertainment (hence your "light" clue) ?

Hold on! I think I've got it!

They've all done impressions of fellow sportspeople?

John Virgo was absolutely brilliant when he "did" his fellow snooker players, and the others too obviously have/had an eagle eye for the idiosyncrasies of people in their own sports. Laughing out loud

Angry 2 minutes until I say bad luck you useless lot etc. Bah. An assist for Firkin I think but his answer would have been too light on its own.

Ali mimicked Frazer in a fight before being knocked out by him. I think he still did it in the rematch though and to Foreman and others, but that would need research which I don't do. These are all from memory.

Gooch was an opening bat but also a part time bowler. If he was used in a test match it usually meant it was going to be a draw, so time for a bit of light entertainment taking off bowlers' styles of delivery, such as Bob Willis, John Lever and others. He was pretty good at it. Worth watching if you can find a clip.

I thought clue 3 Virgo would give it away, his send ups of Higgins, Reardon, Griffiths, etc were very funny.

LeConte did some MacEnroe style shots and shouts and Wozniaki sent up Serena Williams but I don't think she blacked up for it.

Well done though, one point scored.

Bish! Bash! Bosh! . . . . . . You beauty! . . . . . Get in! . . . . . Back of the net! Laughing out loud

I see your point, Bill, and I shall endeavour to be less egotistic in future.

How's that going?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 30th June 2019, 4:38 PM

Maybe

Bosh!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 30th June 2019, 3:48 PM

About a month ago, when attempting to identify a previous connection, Herc guessed:
Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st June 2019, 12:30 PM
Based purely on one name - Wild West outlaws

So, looking at:
Muhammad Ali, Graham Gooch, John Virgo, Henri Leconte and Caroline Wozniacki:
My guess based purely on one name - they're all Danish women tennis champions! Laughing out loud

As you brought this up again, and before I move on, I want to explain my reasoning for the wild west outlaws punt.

This had dragged on a bit and me being one of those that tries to keep it as original to the OC show as I can I don't like to use Google but just rely on my knowledge, and when I saw the name Clanton, who I knew was the family name of a notorious gang that featured in the gunfight at the OK corral, I thought it not an unreasonable guess as the rest could also have been from other outlaw gangs from the same period in American history, for example the Jesse James gang. The other three Simpson, Worth and McDonald may well have also been outlaws for all I knew and it may well have been that my shot in the dark was the right answer.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th June 2019, 2:56 PM

Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud.......................:|

Are you having a stutter of some sort?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st July 2019, 9:35 AM

As you brought this up again, and before I move on, I want to explain my reasoning for the wild west outlaws punt.

This had dragged on a bit and me being one of those that tries to keep it as original to the OC show as I can I don't like to use Google but just rely on my knowledge, and when I saw the name Clanton, who I knew was the family name of a notorious gang that featured in the gunfight at the OK corral, I thought it not an unreasonable guess as the rest could also have been from other outlaw gangs from the same period in American history, for example the Jesse James gang. The other three Simpson, Worth and McDonald may well have also been outlaws for all I knew and it may well have been that my shot in the dark was the right answer.

Any decent person would recant and withdraw their criticism after reading that.

The clue is in your last sentence Herc.

And nice one Alfred, the answer was just out of reach in my mind.
I knew Virgo did impressions and Ali sort of did but I couldn't connect them.

Somebody was complaining earlier today that they'd clicked on this thread and found no current puzzle.

Okay, what's the connection between these four clues?

Nice one

i have no idea of the link but appreciate the gesture

I know who they all are though, I reckon

Good idea Rood.

I think three of them were either born or died abroad, so if its the odd one out round, Eric Morecambe. If not, could it be that none were buried or maybe died near their place of birth ?