My Good Friend

Hi, I am new to the forum.

Several months ago I managed to acquire a copy of the mid 90s show My Good Friend, starring George Cole and Richard Pearson. It has never been released on DVD.

Finally got around to watching it recently, and really quite enjoyed it. Not a laugh out loud comedy, but more of a gentle warm humour about 2 elderly pensioners who meet and become friends. One of them lives with his daughter and her husband and the other lives in a room in a house with a young mum called Ellie. A shame it only got 2 series. I have a feeling a third series may have been on the cards but perhaps it was just dropped by ITV.

Three of the characters were replaced by different actors in the second series, including Minnie Driver's character Ellie, so maybe that had something to do with it, although the second series was as good as the first. A great pairing of George Cole and Richard Pearson. I will never forget Richard's role as Victor Meldrew's brother Alfred in one episode of One Foot In The Grave, he stole the episode. Hilarious.

Think Richard Pearson also played Gary Strang's dad in an episode of Men Behaving Badly in the mid 90s. He was excellent in that too as I recall.

Quote: billzeebub @ 28th August 2017, 9:22 PM

Think Richard Pearson also played Gary Strang's dad in an episode of Men Behaving Badly in the mid 90s. He was excellent in that too as I recall.

He did! And I remember that one too as Gary was an absolute bastard to him. Can't remember the exact plot but the audience were almost booing at the way he was being treated.

I must try and find that episode. He was also in a series alongside Charlotte Coleman and (I think) Anne Bancroft, called Freddie And Max.