I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,862

Thank God for the alertness of the Twitter PC police once again:

Peter Kay accused of homophobia on Strictly Come Dancing...
...some people have tweeted that they found his remarks offensive and homophobic.

It just shows you, if you keep alert and keep looking - you'll find it!

Top marks!

It was very 1970s Jim Davidson. It's down to you whether that's a good or a bad thing...

Quote: keewik @ 20th November 2016, 8:40 PM

Have I missed something? With whom is the USA at war?

The general's remarks were made during the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, however Americans are still fighting and dying in both countries. You can also add in Libya, Syria, Somalia, Yemen and special forces operations all over Africa and Asia. There's a lot of fighting and killing going on.

Quote: zooo @ 21st November 2016, 2:07 PM

It was very 1970s Jim Davidson. It's down to you whether that's a good or a bad thing...

Bad thing..

But I saw the complaints about Peter Kay on Twitter as an over-reaction. I don't personally find jokes about sexuality to be in good taste and I never did like Jim Davidson's humour (even in the 1970's); so as we agree not a good thing.

But there's a difference between a joke in bad taste and homophobia. An homophobic act is deliberately negative, i.e. derogatory and shaming. I think that Peter Kay's performance was in bad taste then, but not homophobic.

Twitter sometimes seems like public persecution to me, especially when it then gets forwarded to and by so many people and then reported in the media and bounced around the World. It does not give me a good feeling. I would hate to be on the end of that..

Quote: Frankie Rage @ 21st November 2016, 3:27 PM

Twitter sometimes seems like public persecution to me, especially when it then gets forwarded to and by so many people and then reported in the media and bounced around the World. It does not give me a good feeling. I would hate to be on the end of that..

It drives me crazy that the "real" media have taken to using Twitter as a source of news. Reporters can't be everywhere, so it's invaluable as a major incident begins to unfold, but there is no way of validating the information. When it comes to politically charged issues it's downright unreliable.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ 21st November 2016, 3:27 PM

Bad thing..

But I saw the complaints about Peter Kay on Twitter as an over-reaction. I don't personally find jokes about sexuality to be in good taste and I never did like Jim Davidson's humour (even in the 1970's); so as we agree not a good thing.

There were also hundreds of tweets saying he was the most hilarious thing they'd ever seen...

Basically Twitter can be full of shit overreaction on any subject.

Quote: zooo @ 21st November 2016, 4:29 PM

There were also hundreds of tweets saying he was the most hilarious thing they'd ever seen...

Yes, but that didn't make headlines -
The BBC headline was:
Peter Kay accused of homophobia on Strictly Come Dancing...

Twitter can be full of shit as can the BBC as both are just people I guess :)

Peter Kay's joke was around 30 years old, so maybe he was just being historically correct (HC) ? Huh?

A load of fuss over nothing.

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 21st November 2016, 5:41 PM

Peter Kay's joke was around 30 years old, so maybe he was just being historically correct (HC) ? Huh?

According to Zooo some Twitterers (abrev. Twitt's) thought he was in fact hysterically correct..

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd November 2016, 9:54 AM

A load of fuss over nothing.

The alien super race currently monitoring our activities is thinking of putting us down.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ 22nd November 2016, 10:12 AM

The alien super race currently monitoring our activities is thinking of putting us down.

Good - I'm ready Angelic

I tell you what looking at the news there is plenty more nonsense I could whinge on about but what is the bloody point. I'll have a cup of tea and a digestive biscuit instead. TTFN.

I'm with Katy Hopkins. Will everybody stop being offended.

I love how Donald Trump circumvented the media entirely and released a video directly on YouTube. Now they can't selectively edit it or bookend it with snide comments by their anchors. It's fun watching their heads explode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xX_KaStFT8&ab_channel=Transition2017

So his plan is to have a really good plan.
Terrific.
No wonder comments are disabled.
He doesn't like comments.
Or the disabled, come to that.