I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,861

I think they said it was more about making her last few days happy, once she was told they would do it - rather than them actually believing the process would some day work.

With the Earth population doubling in the last 50 years we have absoloutely no need to bring anybody back from the dead!

Quote: Frankie Rage @ 18th November 2016, 6:16 PM

Voter ID law sounds pretty important, can't understand how anyone can justify being against a robust voter ID law.

As is usual in politics these days, it comes down to claims of racism. Democrats insist that any attempt at passing a voter ID law is an attempt to suppress minorities (who typically vote Democrat) even though they can get a free ID card.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ 18th November 2016, 6:16 PM

It amazed me that the gentleman who was shot by a policeman (justifiably or not is not my point) went to the supermarket with wife and child ..oh, and his gun. The idea that someone would feel the need to be 'tooled up' for a visit to the supermarket with wife and baby for the weekly shop just astounds me. It seems so wrong. Teary It sounds like the Wild West out there!!

He might have lived in a rough neighborhood where even a trip to the grocery store could mean a confrontation with gangsters. Some people carry everywhere, mainly out of habit. Grab your wallet, grab your keys, grab your pistol, walk out the door...

I have a license to carry, but I seldom do. I'll stuff a revolver in my pocket if I'm walking through the green belt in my neighborhood (coyotes and the occasional mountain lion) or if I'm heading to a sketchy part of town. When I buy or sell things on Craigslist I'll be packing and I usually bring a few armed friends along, too.

Just heard a pack of coyotes howling as I typed that last sentence. Now all the neighborhood dogs are going crazy.

Coyotes howling - very atmospheric.. I keep seeing John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart on horseback!

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 18th November 2016, 10:46 PM

I read a heartbreaking story today about a 14 year old British girl who was terminally ill with cancer and won a court battle to be cryogenically frozen.

A chemist on a radio phone-in overnight said that when frozen, cell walls are ruptured by expansion of H2O therein.. and that when defrosted, cell structure collapses due to this rupturing. To illustrate this point, he used an analogy of a crisp frozen lettuce that, when defrosted, goes limp.

Although not said as such, the implication was that the cryogenics industry is a con.

Quote: SSTT @ 19th November 2016, 10:12 PM

A chemist on a radio phone-in overnight said that when frozen, cell walls are ruptured by expansion of H2O therein.. and that when defrosted, cell structure collapses due to this rupturing. To illustrate this point, he used an analogy of a crisp frozen lettuce that, when defrosted, goes limp.

Although not said as such, the implication was that the cryogenics industry is a con.

Human embryos are regularly frozen and then thawed and successfully implanted, so there must be some way around the problem of bursting cells.

It sounds like Trump is considering retired Marine Corps General James "Mad Dog" Mattis as his Secretary of Defense. I love the guy. He's colorful and bad to the bone. Check out a few of his quotes:

"I don't lose any sleep at night over the potential for failure. I cannot even spell the word."

"The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event. That said, there are some assholes in the world that just need to be shot."

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f**k with me, I'll kill you all."

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

"You are part of the world's most feared and trusted force. Engage your brain before you engage your weapon."

"No war is over until the enemy says it's over. We may think it over, we may declare it over, but in fact, the enemy gets a vote."

"There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It's really great."

"You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil. You know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them. Actually it's quite fun to fight them, you know. It's a hell of a hoot. It's fun to shoot some people. I'll be right up there with you. I like brawling."

That's Col.Sam Flagg isn't it?

Quote: DaButt @ 19th November 2016, 10:21 PM

Human embryos are regularly frozen and then thawed and successfully implanted, so there must be some way around the problem of bursting cells.

The human embryos that are frozen contain 8 cells and more than half do not survive the process, within the legal time limit of 10 years.

A fully-formed human being contains approximately 37,000,000,000,000 cells - that's thirty-seven trillion.

Do the maths.

Fun to shoot peopl? No. That's a step too far. I don't agree with the death penalty but I understand people might think there's a case for killing very evil people. But that's necessity. Shouldn't be 'fun'. That's sick.

He was talking to soldiers I expect. They need to be able to kill as required. Whether they find it fun or not is irrelevant. I suspect that it is just bull anyway. Macho guys talk huge amounts of bull. It is their nature. There is always a lot of gallows humour with soldiers. The reality of death in war situations is somewhat severe I would think.

Quote: keewik @ 19th November 2016, 11:20 PM

That's sick.

That's war.

Have I missed something? With whom is the USA at war (apart from women, gays, people who need abortions, black folk, and any 'foreigners')?

*discreetly high fives keewik*

P.S. Just saw this! <3 Nice work, Gordon.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 12th November 2016, 9:13 PM

10, 9, 8, 7,....

Quote: zooo @ 20th November 2016, 9:17 PM

P.S. Just saw this! <3 Nice work, Gordon.

:)

And now for something completely different: http://rugbylad.com/watch-james-horwill-suffered-the-most-gruesome-finger-injuries-ever-today/

Gordon Bennett!!!!