I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,856

:O

Chelsea Hotel is my favourite of his. But he was one of those people I knew had done a ton of amazing songs I hadn't got around to hearing yet.

Quote: keewik @ 11th November 2016, 12:05 AM

Yes. It's been given minimum coverage.

I think the coverage was about right and handled fairly well. We all know about it and the families need their privacy and the appropriate authorities and police are investigating. The train driver was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter because he fell asleep while driving the tram. Until they have fully investigated they can't conclude why it happened or how it could have been prevented, that information will come in time.

Just to come back to the American election now the dust has nearly settled...............

I was puzzled by why the Republicans are red and the Democrats are blue, which is the complete reverse of the UK and of the rest of the world when you come to think of it - Russia and China being classic examples.

Why is that? Or is it the Yanks yet again being perverse as they do with driving on the wrong side of the road. :|

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th November 2016, 9:36 AM

Yes RIP, but hardly classic rock GB.............it's like the King's New Clothes for me when it came to him - never saw the appeal.

No - I can't say I was a fan. Although you'll get loads of people coming out of the woodwork saying they'd always loved him - especially his beautiful "religious" song "Hallelujah!"

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th November 2016, 9:36 AM

...hardly classic rock GB...

Ah, you know what I meant. I was generally speaking of an era when artists didn't have silly names such as Snoopy Dog or Jizzy and bands didn't make their debut on YouTube.

Quote: Chappers @ 11th November 2016, 10:01 AM

No - I can't say I was a fan. Although you'll get loads of people coming out of the woodwork saying they'd always loved him - especially his beautiful "religious" song "Hallelujah!"

I like Hallelujah, but not his version. Buckley's and Cale's are far superior.

I'm amazed Clinton lost. She had the full support of Katy Perry behind her. Katy is highly respected in political circles for her astuteness of intellect, profundity of thinking and searing insight into socio-economic issues. What went wrong? https://www.google.it/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fd3fjudmgyekqi7.cloudfront.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F10%2F4755020965_4e4ea9da0c_b.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.katyperry.com%2Fimage-galleries%2Fcalifornia-gurls%2F&docid=IaGFUGtzQW6P7M&tbnid=2lgpfXr9K1ejjM%3A&vet=1&w=760&h=428&bih=937&biw=1680&ved=0ahUKEwi5rfrn5qDQAhXXFsAKHaglClYQMwgsKA8wDw&iact=mrc&uact=8

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 11th November 2016, 11:56 AM

I'm amazed Clinton lost... ...What went wrong?

A big nasty white man, apparently.

And let's not forget the support of subtle, intellectual political theorist Lady Gaga too. What's wrong with you, Yankees? https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwfm9COGinvsdQTvJkg0p74kpZbPma2t5pLRamj6bkcY29TXjxPw

Clearly Nigel Farage and Piers Morgan were the celebs whose support really spoke to the American public.

This is the level of political debate we've reached. 'I REFUSE to vote Trump.' - 'Because he's a lying, anti-Semitic, misogynistic, racist, deceitful, swindling, bullying, thieving, homophobic threat to world order?' - 'No silly, cos Katy Perry told me not to. She's just like totally awesome. So cute.'

Quote: zooo @ 11th November 2016, 1:35 PM

Clearly Nigel Farage and Piers Morgan were the celebs whose support really spoke to the American public.

Farage is respected by Republicans, but they hate Piers Morgan for all of his anti-gun lecturing.

Quote: DaButt @ 11th November 2016, 1:55 PM

Farage is respected by Republicans, but they hate Piers Morgan for all of his anti-gun lecturing.

And there's so many other reasons to choose from

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 11th November 2016, 11:28 AM

Ah, you know what I meant. I was generally speaking of an era when artists didn't have silly names such as Snoopy Dog or Jizzy and bands didn't make their debut on YouTube.

Amen to that. Cool

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 11th November 2016, 1:47 PM

This is the level of political debate we've reached. 'I REFUSE to vote Trump.' - 'Because he's a lying, anti-Semitic, misogynistic, racist, deceitful, swindling, bullying, thieving, homophobic threat to world order?' - 'No silly, cos Katy Perry told me not to. She's just like totally awesome. So cute.'

Who are you thinking has actually said or even thought that?

Unless you mean that's what Katy Perry thought. Which could be true for all I know.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 11th November 2016, 1:58 PM

And there's so many other reasons to choose from

He's essentially unknown here. It was only when he went on a tirade on Twitter and talk shows that we took notice. The last thing Americans want is some foreigner who knows nothing about guns lecturing them about guns, so he quickly became a pariah.

On my last trip to London I discovered that the pub nearest my Earl's Court hotel was owned by Piers Morgan, so on the off chance that I might bump into him I wore a Smith & Wesson shirt and an NRA hoodie whenever I popped in for a few pints of Landlord.