Lost Sitcoms

Has anyone seen this? What do they think they're doing to classic British sitcoms? I don't think it will work in my opinion. What do you think? https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/2046/bbc4_the_lost_sitcoms/

Why are they doing these? A new Steptoe And Son special, it will not be as good as it was back in the 1960s & 70s because the PC has gone totally bonkers and it will be more PC friendly. Leave it alone and how it used to be with the original cast not new cast for them. What terrible ideas they are making.

Edited for grammar, capitalisation and readability.

Them silly moos!

Fear not George, there will only be a few slight changes required to bring Steptoe & Son up to date.

Albert can be a single parent father who qualifies for tax credits, while Harold will be his adopted son who has recently passed the Government's new apprenticeship scheme for rag & bone men. Harold incidentally will be from a different ethnic background to Albert and will later be shown to be transgender. As Albert is known to be a 'dirty old man' he will have been put on a register so that his rehabilitation progress can be monitored by the local authorities. Plots will no longer centre around either character trying to eject the other from their home as this action would be at odds with the new social housing reform act; and rather than Harold and Albert shouting at each other all the time they will now converse via Facebook and Twitter.

I am rather looking forward to it actually. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Deferenz @ 10th March 2016, 2:39 PM GMT

Fear not George, there will only be a few slight changes required to bring Steptoe & Son up to date.

Albert can be a single parent father who qualifies for tax credits,

Assuming he was in his mid 60s when the series started, he would now be about 120 years old. :S >_<

That's safe to assume because his middle name is Ladysmith. The Siege of Ladysmith was in 1899. The series started in 1962.
But Harold became younger as the series went on. One minute he was old enough to serve in the Second World War, the next he was born in the 1940s...

Quote: george roper @ 10th March 2016, 12:05 PM GMT

Has anyone seen this? What do they think they're doing to classic British sitcoms? I don't think it will work in my opinion. What do you think?

Well The Missing Hancocks has been a big success on Radio 4, so...

Quote: Aaron @ 10th March 2016, 9:39 PM GMT

I wonder if the radio cast will also be the TV cast.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. But since they're using the original scripts for lost episodes, I think this is better than rebooting/remaking or whatever you want to call it.

I'm certainly curious to see that new animated Dad's Army episode (but not curious enough to actually buy it, I assume it will be on TV at some point).

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 10th March 2016, 11:43 PM GMT

I wonder if the radio cast will also be the TV cast.

Kevin McNally and Robin Sebastian have already been confirmed. https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/the_lost_sitcoms/cast_crew/

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 10th March 2016, 11:43 PM GMT

I'm certainly curious to see that new animated Dad's Army episode (but not curious enough to actually buy it, I assume it will be on TV at some point).

You might be waiting a while, there.

I think that it's a good idea for a series. I recall a similar venture where various contemporary comedians read out old Pete 'n' Dud sketches.

Quote: Aaron @ 10th March 2016, 9:39 PM GMT

"Seen" is the operative word there. Yes, The Missing Hancocks were excellent but then you are listening to it obviously and so I am not so sure it would work so well in a full blown impersonation on the television.

I think all the BBC should do is animate the missing Hancock episodes with available audio not re-film them, and do the same with the missing All Gas & Gaiters episodes. With Steptoe and son all they need do is use a computer to put back the colour in the episodes from 1970.

Quote: marac @ 11th March 2016, 4:50 PM GMT

With Steptoe and son all they need do is use a computer to put back the colour in the episodes from 1970.

:O No! I suppose you are quite happy with the colourised Laurel and Hardy that some dick in the States thought would enhance the original.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th March 2016, 6:20 PM GMT

:O No! I suppose you are quite happy with the colourised Laurel and Hardy that some dick in the States thought would enhance the original.

No: 1970 was the year in which the first colour episodes were made. Out of two whole series that year, only 2 episodes still survive in colour.

Can't help it just feels a bit lazy. Feels a bit like all the copy cat shows that followed Bake Off - we've had Pottery, sewing, allotments, interior design and probably a lot more. Seems channel commissioners just need one idea and then repeat.

I can't wait for all these to air! There are lots of people who have never heard of, let alone seen any of these comedies - this will get them interested in these comedy greats and a lot will want to see the fantastic original shows! Some will be confused that things used to be in black and white!!