Things that piss you off Page 1,644

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 25th January 2016, 5:28 PM GMT

Silly beggers means "you're messing me about".

You and who's Army means "I don't think you're hard enough" but not in the sexual sense. I hope that clears everything up for you. If not I'd use baby wipes.

Thanks for the explanation!

>You and who's Army means

More like when spoiling for a fight.

Person 1: I'm gonna punch your lights out!

Person 2: Oh Yeah! You and whose army?

Quote: billwill @ 28th January 2016, 1:37 AM GMT

>You and who's Army means
More like when spoiling for a fight.

Person 1: I'm gonna punch your lights out!

Person 2: Oh Yeah! You and whose army?

I think it can mean both Bill. Round our way if a bigger gang/kid tried to intimidate you from a distance, you had to demonstrate you weren't a soft touch.

Thugs: I'm gonna punch your lights out!
Our gang: Oh Yeah! You and whose army ?
Thugs: Come here and say that !
Our gang: You come here, the bus fair is cheaper (when we were 7 , sadly we found that funny).

Then at some point they'd give chase and stop once we ran. That way everyone saved face, and they'd keep provoking kids until they found an easy prey. I lived in a rough area, so the smart kids fronted everyone out. It was a dance. Only once did it ever end in a fight.

http://www.lawoftheplayground.com/index.php

Another phrase I hate - 'Play catch up'.

Things that happen during the day that I think I'll post on here and then forget what I was going to write.

Another phrase I loathe - 'rocket science'.

I don't like rocket leaves I find them indigestible, but I find the science of rockets and phrases describing it to be acceptable.

Called arugula in America. Rocket is a much cooler name. The sillies.

You wait 30 minutes for a bus, nothing turns up; then all of a sudden, still nothing f**king turns up.

Quote: keewik @ 30th January 2016, 12:41 AM GMT

'Okay, fine' = not okay or fine.
'With all due respect' = I'm gonna say something disrespectful.
'I hear what you're saying' = You're talking shit.
Telly shows you pictures of starving African kids and they say, 'Just one Euro a month will help... Do you really need that beer and restaurant and cigarette when just one Euro can help...?' Then it's celeb news, 'Naomi Campbell says she won't get out of bed for less than a million! Go, girl! You're awesome! That's GIRL POWER!'

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 30th January 2016, 10:28 AM GMT

'Naomi Campbell says she won't get out of bed for less than a million! Go, girl! You're awesome! That's GIRL POWER!'

Just to clarify, is Miss Campbell saying she'll lay naked in a bed for free, but if she's got to walk and talk, she wants a million ? And where was she hiding those "blood" diamonds ? I hope she cleaned them first. She's so beautiful and wealthy, how on earth is she not married ? *gets hit by flying mobile phone*

Quote: keewik @ 30th January 2016, 12:41 AM GMT

I worked for a company that had a division that developed rockets. There were more than a few "Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist" shirts and posters around.

My neighbor the neurosurgeon probably has an "Actually, it *is* brain surgery" in his closet.

I'll bet rocket mechanics wear "Actually, it *is* rocket surgery" shirts.

It's not the word 'rocket' I object to. It's people saying 'It's not rocket science' to describe something trivial.

Rockets are engineering marvels and it isn't easy to make them perform successfully, so it doesn't seem unreasonable to mention them when making a comparison to a less complex task.

I suppose I just hate these glib phrases, usually used by the non-too-bright (i.e. politicians).