Viz Comic Page 15

I used to buy VIZ every week in my teens (a long long timee ago) and completely forgot about it until I was stuck at Edinburgh airport recently for a few hours facing WHSmiths. There it was staring at me, begging to be bought.

It is still hilarious, I'm not that fussed about the cartoons these days but the editorial is fantastic. I've started buying it again while traveling. Now I have to be careful about staggering like a schoolboy while sat on planes.

The Guy who does Chicken shed and Drunken Bakers is a wonderful new talent.

Quote: sootyj @ 26th October 2015, 11:00 AM GMT

The Guy who does Chicken shed and Drunken Bakers is a wonderful new talent.

I think Drunken Bakers is the biggest load of crap in Viz. It never makes me laugh.

Quote: KentuckyKid @ 26th October 2015, 10:48 AM GMT

I used to buy VIZ every week in my teens (a long long timee ago) and completely forgot about it until I was stuck at Edinburgh airport recently for a few hours facing WHSmiths. There it was staring at me, begging to be bought.

It is still hilarious, I'm not that fussed about the cartoons these days but the editorial is fantastic. I've started buying it again while traveling. Now I have to be careful about staggering like a schoolboy while sat on planes.

I used to have a subscription, cancelled it and duly ignored it for about three years. One day I went to Greenwich, bought a copy of Viz and a chocolate bar, sat in the park and laughed. I fell back in love then and there and re-invigorated my subscription.

Quote: Chappers @ 26th October 2015, 9:51 PM GMT

I think Drunken Bakers is the biggest load of crap in Viz. It never makes me laugh.

I don't like those particular stories either. The tragically sad true-to-life stories about a family selling all of their clothing and bedding to fund a chicken meal was extremely poignant.

The fake adverts, letters and the features are always extremely good.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 26th October 2015, 10:10 PM GMT

I used to have a subscription, cancelled it and duly ignored it for about three years. One day I went to Greenwich, bought a copy of Viz and a chocolate bar, sat in the park and laughed. I fell back in love then and there and re-invigorated my subscription.

With chocolate bars?

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 26th October 2015, 10:10 PM GMT

The fake adverts, letters and the features are always extremely good.

I always like the letters.

Quote: Chappers @ 26th October 2015, 10:19 PM GMT

With chocolate bars?

I always like the letters.

You know me, I *lurrrvvvee* the chocolate.

The letters are brilliant; I always enjoy respondents replying to one another in the same edition: such as Linda McCartney and Jane Asher.

Bobby Stiles and his piles was always a favourite of mine. Especially the drawing of his face in pain.
And the thousands of synonyms for hemoroids.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 26th October 2015, 10:34 PM GMT

Bobby Stiles and his piles was always a favourite of mine. Especially the drawing of his face in pain.
And the thousands of synonyms for hemoroids.

Nobby's Piles (although I had to Google it as it's pretty rare to see that particular strip in the more recent editions.) Mr Logic is a favourite of mine and took inspiration from the Donald brothers' elder sibling who had Asperger's.

The adverts are great too and particularly appreciate Mrs B from Essex's recommendactions.

Paul Whicker the tall vicar.

Oh aye Nobby's Piles... I can see him now, steam coming out of his lugs while holding is arse..... Gaaaahhh me f**king arse grapes.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 26th October 2015, 10:54 PM GMT

Oh aye Nobby's Piles... I can see him now, steam coming out of his lugs while holding is arse..... Gaaaahhh me f**king arse grapes.

Getting speared on Church spires or red-hot pokers.

Fru T Bun was probably my favourite, couldn't read it without thinking of David Pleat. I haven't subscribed to it in years because whenever I buy it there's way too much poor stuff in it like DB, I just can't work out what it is. It needs more old comic loving cartoonists like the brothers themselves to revive the thing.

Quote: Chappers @ 26th October 2015, 11:04 PM GMT

Getting speared on Church spires or red-hot pokers.

How about 'The Reverend Ramsden's Ringpiece Cathedral'?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 27th October 2015, 2:41 PM GMT

Fru T Bun was probably my favourite, couldn't read it without thinking of David Pleat. I haven't subscribed to it in years because whenever I buy it there's way too much poor stuff in it like DB, I just can't work out what it is. It needs more old comic loving cartoonists like the brothers themselves to revive the thing.

Agreed that it would be great to see the return of the Donald brothers.

Thanks for replying guys,the annual I have The Big Hard One has a red cover but the ones I see on eBay are all blue,just wondered what if any significance there was?

Quote: MORPH @ 27th October 2015, 7:41 PM GMT

Thanks for replying guys,the annual I have The Big Hard One has a red cover but the ones I see on eBay are all blue,just wondered what if any significance there was?

I'm not trying to come over all Finbarr Saunders, but the cover of my copy of 'The Big Hard One' (1987 edition) is black and blue. Fnarr fnarr.