Status report Page 5,779

Quote: Oldrocker @ 11th April 2015, 12:16 AM BST

Haec Hoc

Huius ?

Ben should get started on some lunch shortly, but he's going to waste time on Ebay first.

Selling or buying? Or just looking at pretty pictures.

Yesterday I saw that there were some ISS (International Space Station) passes overhead, so I tuned my scanner to 145.8 MHz and connected its audio jack to the input of my PC sound card. I then ran a freeware Slow Scan Television (SSTV) and it decoded a bunch of images like this:

I don't think the ISS orbit is inclined enough to pass over the UK, or you'd be able to do the same thing with a suitable radio. :(

THe Stellarium computer program certainly seems to think that the ISS is not visible from the UK.

Excellent program and FREE too.

Quote: billwill @ 12th April 2015, 6:07 PM BST

THe Stellarium computer program certainly seems to think that the ISS is not visible from the UK.

The station's orbital inclination is 51.6 degrees and London is at 51.5 degrees latitude, so any line of sight visibility would be just barely above the horizon and communications would be impossible due to ground-based RF interference and objects on the ground blocking the signal.

STRIKE THAT. I just realized that the inclination means that the station flies directly over London at times.

You can enter your location and check for visible and non-visible passes here: http://www.heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?satid=25544&lat=51.5074&lng=-0.1278&loc=London&alt=20&tz=GMT

As you can see from that link, there will be a pass almost directly overhead London that begins at 8:40 PM tonight. The spacecraft will be illuminated by the sun, so it should be easily visible to the naked eye as long as the sky is clear.

Quote: Lee @ 12th April 2015, 11:07 AM BST

Thanks for the iAdvice Loops. My eye is better today, just a bit swallon around the lid, probably from all the crying watering it did yesterday. Glad you're feeling a bit better. Back to the tea dances soon?

You bet! :D Hug

Quote: DaButt @ 12th April 2015, 6:33 PM BST

The station's orbital inclination is 51.6 degrees and London is at 51.5 degrees latitude, so any line of sight visibility would be just barely above the horizon and communications would be impossible due to ground-based RF interference and objects on the ground blocking the signal.

STRIKE THAT. I just realized that the inclination means that the station flies directly over London at times.

You can enter your location and check for visible and non-visible passes here: http://www.heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?satid=25544&lat=51.5074&lng=-0.1278&loc=London&alt=20&tz=GMT

As you can see from that link, there will be a pass almost directly overhead London that begins at 8:40 PM tonight. The spacecraft will be illuminated by the sun, so it should be easily visible to the naked eye as long as the sky is clear.

It seems I mis-interpreted Stellarium. I was more interested in the eclips at the time.

Nerds!

Catching up on BCG.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP! I'm here all alone. The ghosts'll get me.

Quote: billwill @ 12th April 2015, 12:46 PM BST

Huius ?

Hiatus - I'm liking this new word game. :)

Quote: billwill @ 12th April 2015, 12:46 PM BST

Huius ?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th April 2015, 10:09 AM BST

Hiatus - I'm liking this new word game. :)

"Hiya, Stu!"

Who's winning so far?

Me............... :) (I think - we need Will Cam to verify)

Shih Tzu

Quote: keewik @ 13th April 2015, 8:42 AM BST

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP! I'm here all alone. The ghosts'll get me.

Pick an end of wool from a jumper.

You are never alone with a STRAND.

Whistling nnocently