Newsjack - Series 12 Page 13

Quote: Bonzo @ 7th March 2015, 12:03 PM GMT

Hi Jabashe

The astrology one had the doctor talking about star signs and recommending Russell Grant.
I'll be there too hopefully.

:)

Thanks - there was a mention of Russell Grant but doesn't quite sound like mine. I think it sounds like that story might've been a bit too popular!

Quote: StephenM @ 7th March 2015, 10:17 AM GMT

Don't know what others thought but for me ep2 really found it's feet this week. Pleased they tackled the two biggest stories of the week - Putin and Jihadi John - and didn't try and duck them.

In fact my only real gripe is that there use of non-topical one-liners. Not quite sure why they do that as it detracts from the rest of the show and they feel out of place. Sure there must be enough topical one-liners from submissions to get 20-30 good ones?

Yeah, I thought ep 2 was much stronger than ep 1. Some genuine laugh out loud gags, so well done to the writers. Nish is a great host too - I've never really seen his stand up but I'll definitely go see him if he's on town.

Echo your thoughts about the non-topical one liners too. They stick out like a sore thumb. A lot of them also seem to be based on puns/wordplay - the type of gags some producers avoid like the plague as the audience groans rather than laughs. Personal taste I suppose.

Quote: Pripyat @ 7th March 2015, 2:22 PM GMT

Yeah, I thought ep 2 was much stronger than ep 1. Some genuine laugh out loud gags, so well done to the writers. Nish is a great host too - I've never really seen his stand up but I'll definitely go see him if he's on town.

Echo your thoughts about the non-topical one liners too. They stick out like a sore thumb. A lot of them also seem to be based on puns/wordplay - the type of gags some producers avoid like the plague as the audience groans rather than laughs. Personal taste I suppose.

Nish has MC'd at a local comedy club here in Swindon. He's very good!

I'm sure the people of Swindon know humour when they see it?

i'm wondering if my one liners have been a bit absurdist for this show so far.

i think last weeks were quite strong but maybe a bit...odd

this week's bunch I think are more in tone.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 9th March 2015, 7:56 AM GMT

I'm sure the people of Swindon know humour when they see it?

Well, some of us do!

Quote: davetwojackets @ 9th March 2015, 6:13 PM GMT

Well, some of us do!

Hear, hear.

Jasper Fforde said it had seven wonders, I recall? You must be two of them.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 9th March 2015, 9:38 PM GMT

Jasper Fforde said it had seven wonders, I recall? You must be two of them.

You got it!

So we're about half way! This week we sent:

Sketches
- sport - Balotelli
- world - Greece / Shirley Valentine
- Mini sketch - website misconceptions

Good luck everyone!!

Quote: V Riddoch @ 7th March 2015, 1:36 PM GMT

Hoorah! Well deserved and about time.

Yes, I echo what Bonzo said. We're going to Wednesday's recording so if you're there we can have a chat?

Thanks V,

Did you both submit sketches normally on Sunday for your commissioning? Or did you write them up on the day?

I submitted:
Crufts
The Election Debate
Toxic Anti-Terror

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ 10th March 2015, 4:32 PM GMT

Thanks V,

Did you both submit sketches normally on Sunday for your commissioning? Or did you write them up on the day?

I submitted:
Crufts
The Election Debate
Toxic Anti-Terror

Hello, we just did them on Monday.

Quote: Bonzo @ 10th March 2015, 4:41 PM GMT

Hello, we just did them on Monday.

Brilliant! So I can have a bit of a weekend off :)

I submitted a sketch that won't be used, and spent so long concentrating on re-wording one of my less disastrously bad one-liners, to make it actually work as what most people would recognise as a 'gag', that I forgot the deadline was at 12.00 and not 12.30.

I really feel like I'm getting closer to that elusive second radio credit.

Mine this week:

- Poldark being too sexy
- ISIS & Boko Haram teaming up
- 30-second beer tasting of bottle found on shipwreck from 1840

Probably a good thing all the Clarkson stuff has happened after the deadline... would've been hard to resist but I think they would've been inundated.

I'm going to the record later so I'll try to remember all I can and post them up when I get back. Good luck all!