Is 'Extras' going to age poorly?

I find when you watch back older sitcoms, say Fawlty Towers or even The Office, they still feel fresh. Of course, staying at hotels are still pretty familiar as they are in Fawlty even if the issue of class isn't quite as big a deal now (nor are comb-overs quite as prevalent in modern society as they were in that show).

With The Office, again it's very relateable, and there are few things to date it. The only things that date them are any cultural and pop culture references to the time.

If you show The Office to someone in 25 years and they will surely still be able to relate to it (working in an office, annoying co-workers) and love it. But could the same be said for Extras? A lot of it relies on pop culture references to celebrity. So many of the stars in this rely on you knowing of their star 'persona', even if it is then exaggerated by the writing.

I watched an episode of Bottom the other day and laughed and laughed, but there were a few pop culture gags which I did not get because I didn't know who they were. They were before my time; Esther Rantzen and Sandi Toksvig. I don't know who they are (or 'were', rather - they're forgotten). The great thing about Bottom is it's timeless.

An article on Chortle:

Fundamentally,the characters... are flitting away the days until the release of death. In Eddie's case, the coping mechanism is one of drinking and time-wasting while Richie chases a dream of sexual success at least once with any woman available.

...In fact, by making the characters' goals rooted in the most base of purists, the programme gains a timeless quality.

Aside from references to the television programmes Richie and Eddie use to while away their days, there is very little in the scripts for Bottom that confines it to a specific year. The highpoint of the series, the ferris wheel-confined two hander Hole, could be performed in a theatre today and be just as relevant, its ending perhaps even more so.

This ability to produce a sitcom that could be simultaneously absurdist and satirical, yet unconfined to the time it was written in, shows Mayall and Edmondson's writing having developed to a new height.

I totally agree with this, and I suppose the only aspect which ages it and indeed any older show is that now, characters trapped on a ferris wheel would be using their iPhones for help. In fact any bored characters whittling away their lives would still be plugging away at their iPhones.

Back to Extras: Also I'm very familiar with stars such as DeNiro and Sam Jackson but less familiar with stars of generations past such as Marlon Brando. In 25 years will new viewers be that familiar with DeNiro and Sam Jackson? Even moreso, who the hell will know who Dean Gaffney or Les Dennis is in 25 years?

Just a thought.

The sitcom is fantastic though and does mainly rely on the relationships between Andy and his friends. I just think it's going to age poorly.

It will age poorly but not for the people alive at the time because like you said you have to enter with a pre-conceived notion of the celebrity. So if you got it the first time, you'll get it on every repeat viewing.

So the only thing that will make it age is age itself. Younger generations won't have the pre-conceived impressions and it will fall flat but I doubt Gervais will be pissed by this. I think he'll be comfortable in knowing The Office was his best work and a timeless piece at that. Extras was just one of those great Sitcoms that heavily relied on the times but saying that it did still deal with the social awkwardness and rather edgy themes, the first series in particular, that The Office did so well.

Quote: BusterBriggs @ 3rd July 2014, 4:20 PM BST

If you show The Office to someone in 25 years and they will surely still be able to relate to it (working in an office, annoying co-workers) and love it. But could the same be said for Extras? A lot of it relies on pop culture references to celebrity. So many of the stars in this rely on you knowing of their star 'persona', even if it is then exaggerated by the writing.

I'd argue that, relatable or not, The Office is already looking rater dated because of its nature as a spoof of a specific type of documentary that is even now not so common as it was - perhaps largely due to its ridicule in The Office.

Incidentally, I drove past the office block the show was set in at the weekend, and its demolition has now been completed.

Quote: Aaron @ 3rd July 2014, 9:56 PM BST

Incidentally, I drove past the office block the show was set in at the weekend, and its demolition has now been completed.

Did you spit on the ruins?

I should think Sandi is rather busier now than when Extras was made...

I find when you watch back older sitcoms, say Fawlty Towers or even The Office, they still feel fresh. Of course, staying at hotels are still pretty familiar as they are in Fawlty even if the issue of class isn't quite as big a deal now (nor are comb-overs quite as prevalent in modern society as they were in that show).

With The Office, again it's very relateable, and there are few things to date it. The only things that date them are any cultural and pop culture references to the time.

I watched an episode of Bottom the other day and laughed and laughed, but there were a few pop culture gags which I did not get because I didn't know who they were. They were before my time; Esther Rantzen and Sandi Toksvig. I don't know who they are (or 'were', rather - they're forgotten). The great thing about Bottom is it's timeless.

An article on Chortle:

I totally agree with this, and I suppose the only aspect which ages it and indeed any older show is that now, characters trapped on a ferris wheel would be using their iPhones for help. In fact any bored characters whittling away their lives would still be plugging away at their iPhones.

Back to Extras: Also I'm very familiar with stars such as DeNiro and Sam Jackson but less familiar with stars of generations past such as Marlon Brando. In 25 years will new viewers be that familiar with DeNiro and Sam Jackson? Even moreso, who the hell will know who Dean Gaffney or Les Dennis is in 25 years?

Just a thought.

The sitcom is fantastic though and does mainly rely on the relationships between Andy and his friends. I just think it's going to age poorly.

Sorry to say this mate, but that's one of the worst things I've ever read. It's not that I disagree with it, it's just that it nearly hurt my eyeballs, and I now wish I could tear them out and replace them with my bollocks.

The Office has definitely aged. Watched the one where they went to chasers last week/the week before and the nightclub scene seriously aged it. The music, the way some of the extras (no thread related pun intended) were dressed - And the fact it gave me flashbacks to being 17 and having my proper first piss-ups in these horrific bars. Seriously, memories of New Years Eve 2000 slammed into my brain. Maybe that's just me.

Aging it wise, it's just that nightclub episode and pop culture references that are gone like Flat Eric and the big brother contestant appearing in a special. There's probably more.

Though yes, the relevance of the mundanity of office life and annoying workmates (mixed with the classic pining for someone) will always make it relatable, so most of it won't age.

Quote: Tursiops @ 3rd July 2014, 10:42 PM BST

I should think Sandi is rather busier now than when Extras was made...

Yeah, been on TV a fair bit recently. She's sort of regular on QI, and has done stuff on Sky. As for Rantzen she's always on TV - just in bloody infomercials - PPI or compensation, or something Laughing out loud

Extras isnt going to age badly

It's been bloody awful from day one

Quote: jphellpool @ 5th July 2014, 2:20 PM BST

Sorry to say this mate, but that's one of the worst things I've ever read. It's not that I disagree with it, it's just that it nearly hurt my eyeballs, and I now wish I could tear them out and replace them with my bollocks.

Laughing out loud

I think it has already aged badly through no fault of its own.

When the Whistle Blows was supposed to be a parody of a gaudy, over the top, recycled gags, audience laughing their heads of at very poor jokes type sitcom.

But now you have Mrs. Brown's Boys (and some of the least successful broad sitcoms of the last 4 or 5 years) that makes When the Whistle Blows look quite subtle and nuanced.

There's at least one thing that will make Extras still be watchable in decades to come: Ashley Jensen. ;)
But I think that Extras will age well because the thing it spoofs (an unsuccessful extra who desperately wants to become a famous and successful actor and television wirter) is rather timeless, and the more traditional sitcom style without any mockumentary-elements will also make it more relatable in the future because traditional sitcom will never get old while mockumentary has really worn out in recent years and people are getting tired of it more and more.
And concerning the popcultural references: I think there are also many references to popcultural and political phenomenons in other older sitcoms like Fawlty Towers, which people today don't really understand/know anymore as well, but I don't think it's that bad as long as the other jokes and characters are still working.

Quote: jphellpool @ 5th July 2014, 2:20 PM BST

Tell me where you live mate, because I'm coming to get you.

I don't think that knowing who the celebrities are is crucial to enjoying this show. It has been broadcast in many other countries to people who haven't got a clue who Les Dennis and Keith Chegwin are but has still proven to be very popular.

It will never be as highly regarded as The Office but I don't think it will age too badly.

Just a thought.

Of course it's a personal preference but I'm going to disagree. I knew most of the international guest stars but sometimes, like those you mentioned, they were people not really known outside the UK. I knew nothing about some of them but still found most of it funny. It might mean you don't get every reference but I think it was pointed out well enough who the "famous" person was and many of the jokes around them relate to some kind of celebrity stereotype. So unless the general culture or perceived culture of celebrities changes dramatically, I don't think it will age too poorly.

I really enjoyed both series of Extras, although I didn't really like the Christmas Special ending, it seemed far too downbeat at the time but after re-watching it about six months ago straight after series two I realised why it had to be concluded in that manner. As for it ageing badly, well I don't really think that it will as the various celebrities featured have been famous in the past and will continue to gain some kind of work in the media arena.

I agree: Ashley Jenson is absolutely brilliant in it; such a shame that she ended up playing a role in the dire Ugly Betty. Yikes.

My favourite episode has to be 'The Dullard' from series one as I've met quite a few examples of such personalities in my life to date. I think I attract them - it must be my geeky nature shining out >_<

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 8th July 2014, 9:53 PM BST

I really enjoyed both series of Extras, although I didn't really like the Christmas Special ending, it seemed far too downbeat at the time but after re-watching it about six months ago straight after series two I realised why it had to be concluded in that manner. As for it ageing badly, well I don't really think that it will as the various celebrities featured have been famous in the past and will continue to gain some kind of work in the media arena.

I agree: Ashley Jenson is absolutely brilliant in it; such a shame that she ended up playing a role in the dire Ugly Betty. Yikes.

My favourite episode has to be 'The Dullard' from series one as I've met quite a few examples of such personalities in my life to date. I think I attract them - it must be my geeky nature shining out >_<

Fancy going out for dinner with me?