Doctor Who... Page 1,071

Quote: zooo @ 31st May 2014, 9:10 PM BST

Ah! Good point. Hurrah!

Plus of course, he writes Sherlock, and that's fecking awesome.

The writing. Or.... ;)

Quote: Marc P @ 31st May 2014, 9:14 PM BST

There is a term in the industry for someone like that. Wonder if we will ever know why CE walked ;)

Heh, yeah, I think that's not the norm in UK drama? I know it's something that's common in the U.S., that the showrunner might very well rewrite episodes as they see fit.

Quote: zooo @ 31st May 2014, 9:13 PM BST

I have never yet been disappointed by a Sherlock episode. Probably happen next series.

Really....are you really watching it or just enjoying look at Benny.

Quote: sootyj @ 31st May 2014, 9:14 PM BST

Found the list all of the New Who one's were from RTD's era. It's not like Twilight Zone it's not stand alone episodes, so like I say much of all comes down to the show runner.

Which list did you find? They did one during the RTD years, you might have found that. Here's the top 10 from this one:

Day of the Doctor (Moff era)
Blink (RTD era - By Moffat)
Genesis of The Daleks
Caves of Androzani
City of Death
Talons
Empty Child/Doc Dances (RTD era - By Moffat)
Pyramids of Mars
Human Nature/Family of Blood (RTD era)
Remembrance of The Daleks

After that they're spread more evenly. The lowest placed ep from either era is one called Fear Her, from the RTD era, which came 240 out of 241 stories!

I didn't even fancy Benedict until recently. So no, I love Sherlock for the writing and acting!
Yes, even the wedding episode.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 31st May 2014, 9:15 PM BST

Heh, yeah, I think that's not the norm in UK drama? I know it's something that's common in the U.S., that the showrunner might very well rewrite episodes as they see fit.

Not every f**king one! This country doesn't have show runners in the creative sense. They are looking across the pond and getting it so wrong it is painful. Good for egos and bank balances bad for legacies and product :)

Quote: zooo @ 31st May 2014, 9:21 PM BST

I didn't even fancy Benedict until recently. So no, I love Sherlock for the writing and acting!
Yes, even the wedding episode.

You better work on that with Jennie! :D actings good and clothes mind.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 31st May 2014, 9:20 PM BST

Which list did you find? They did one during the RTD years, you might have found that. Here's the top 10 from this one:

Day of the Doctor (Moff era)
Blink (RTD era - By Moffat)
Genesis of The Daleks
Caves of Androzani
City of Death
Talons
Empty Child/Doc Dances (RTD era - By Moffat)
Pyramids of Mars
Human Nature/Family of Blood (RTD era)
Remembrance of The Daleks

After that they're spread more evenly. The lowest placed ep from either era is one called Fear Her, from the RTD era, which came 240 out of 241 stories!

Ah so my list was dated so basically RTD as show runner hit 2 out of 10 of the top 10. With Day of the Dr the number one, but it's a push to say such a unique episode is a measure of writing talent.

Quote: sootyj @ 31st May 2014, 9:29 PM BST

Ah so my list was dated so basically RTD as show runner hit 2 out of 10 of the top 10. With Day of the Dr the number one, but it's a push to say such a unique episode is a measure of writing talent.

Another way of looking at is that, according to the people who voted for this, Moffat penned three of the top ten Who stories ever, which is pretty good!

It's weird Moffatt wrote two of the best episodes under RTD. Who favoured quite a lose, none Dr centric style which benefited him.

But as a story runner he ditched this completely.

The people voted for Cameron too. Just saying.

Quote: Marc P @ 31st May 2014, 9:36 PM BST

The people voted for Cameron too. Just saying.

Are you blaming the readers of Dr Who Magazine for the Conservative government? Harsh.

But true! You wouldn't catch Worzel Gummidge voting Tory.... Or would you???

He's undecided-he would need to see a straw poll...

Don't tell Sally!

Moffat isn't an awful writer, but he needs managing. He's good at smutty man/woman dialogue and bon mots but not a lot else. He's also has the writer's form of cryptomnesia.

If you hadn't heard much music from the second quarter of the 20th century you'd think Oasis was the best band of all time. If you know where they pinched their riffs they become less interesting - so it is with Moffat.

The biggest single mistake being made with the show is believing it needs a writer controlling it. It doesn't, it needs a strong producer and script editor team.

Believing a writer needs to be at the helm will probably lead to Gatiss taking over which will make it even more shit.