Doctor Who... Page 1,074

I recall he was in a sitcom on channel four about twenty years ago

Dunno about drama...

Doubt it

Quote: sootyj @ 1st June 2014, 6:52 PM BST

Maybe I'm getting old, but I can't get into serial killer shows anymore.

They're just nasty, usually not very bright people that kill other people.

Why can't we have shows about less horrid crimes like plant pot theft.

Is Hannibal about Hannibal Lecter?

The problem I have with that franchise (apart from it being nasty and depressing) is the likelihood of a man Christened Hannibal growing up to become a cannibal so that people can call him 'Hannibal the Cannibal'. It too f**king ridiculous for words. And how many people have you met in your life called 'Hannibal'?

I went to school with a guy called Colin Hannibal he looked like a gerbil and works in catering

But yes Hannibal is sort of the teenage odary of Adrian sociopath

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 4th June 2014, 1:22 AM BST

The problem I have with that franchise (apart from it being nasty and depressing) is the likelihood of a man Christened Hannibal growing up to become a cannibal so that people can call him 'Hannibal the Cannibal'. It too f**king ridiculous for words. And how many people have you met in your life called 'Hannibal'?

The Internet joke is: 'If only his parents had named him Hedgitarian'. But I'm with you Godot, Dora The Explorer, Fireman Sam and Faye Dunaway - bunch of caaaaannts!

If you want to avoid one of the best looking shows on television, then you go right ahead, stick to British crap where you can get the disappointment you crave. ;)

Good looking isn't the best reason to watch TV.

I could just look in the mirror.

I think its the Sun that has the topless birds in it.

Quote: sootyj @ 4th June 2014, 1:10 PM BST

Good looking isn't the best reason to watch TV.

Considering television is a visual medium, it's one of the best reasons to watch a programme. It's also very well written and superbly acted and unlike any show on US network television. It has a very 'European' feel with as much psychological horror as actual horror.

Just find it amusing that on a thread about a show that features dinosaurs on a space ship and gay Daleks that people are slagging Hannibal.

Because shows work within their own context. So Dr Who when working within strong characters and settings it really doesn't matter about the fantasy elements. It's why it convinces and say EastEnders doesn't.

As for Hannibal, it's the leftovers from the tired out Dexter franchise mixed with the leftover of the Silence of the Lamb then microwaved till tepid and uneven.

Now Happyvalley with a convincingly real sociopath and police officer, was addictive. But as neither were pretty I assume you were watching Project Runway instead.

Quote: sootyj @ 4th June 2014, 1:36 PM BST

As for Hannibal, it's the leftovers from the tired out Dexter franchise mixed with the leftover of the Silence of the Lamb then microwaved till tepid and uneven.

Now Happyvalley with a convincingly real sociopath and police officer, was addictive. But as neither were pretty I assume you were watching Project Runway instead.

Your review of Hannibal is certainly 'unique' - you've said before that you don't like shows that glamorise serial killers, so I can understand your dislike, but it's much better and smarter then you give it credit for. Tell me sootyj, how many episodes of Hannibal have you watched to come up with such a detailed critique?

You are correct, I didn't watch any of Happy Valley because depressing crime dramas featuring dysfunctional female cops are hardly a rarity on UK television. I do hope it was filmed using the exact same visual style of 'The Killing' because that would be the cherry on top of the whole unimaginative stereotypical cake.

They get their headlamps out a lot on Game of Thrones.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 4th June 2014, 1:42 PM BST

Your review of Hannibal is certainly 'unique' - you've said before that you don't like shows that glamorise serial killers, so I can understand your dislike, but it's much better and smarter then you give it credit for. Tell me sootyj, how many episodes of Hannibal have you watched to come up with such a detailed critique?

2 there's a lot of telly out there, so did it get radically better in season 2.

Lifes too short to watch TV that doesn't interest me.

There's 2 specific points I gave up on serial killer fiction. One was reading Ian Brady's book the Gates of Janus and realising he was both evil and dull and had nothing to say worth reading.

The second was this story.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a167809/katie-price-i-love-sick-serial-killers.html

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 4th June 2014, 1:42 PM BST

You are correct, I didn't watch any of Happy Valley because depressing crime dramas featuring dysfunctional female cops are hardly a rarity on UK television. I do hope it was filmed using the exact same visual style of 'The Killing' because that would be the cherry on top of the whole unimaginative stereotypical cake.

Shame it was excellent and unlike the Killing didn't hide a daft as toast conspiracy theory under a lot of moody visuals.

Quote: sootyj @ 4th June 2014, 1:49 PM BST

The second was this story.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a167809/katie-price-i-love-sick-serial-killers.html

Well, I can't argue with that. And yes, Hannibal did pick up in the 2nd series, they dumped the 'monster of the week' format and concentrated mostly on the cat and mouse mind games of the main protagonists.

Though that's not to say they didn't have a load of bizarre murders along the way -

ok if season 2's better I'll give it a go.

I'd need alot to be convinced it's picked up from the dire last 2 films.

Quote: sootyj @ 4th June 2014, 1:56 PM BST

ok if season 2's better I'll give it a go.

I'd need alot to be convinced it's picked up from the dire last 2 films.

Good for you and yes, the last few films, including 'Young Hannibal' or whatever it was called were atrociously dreadful.

Just to catch you up to date for season 2 - Will Graham has discovered that Hannibal is the serial killer, but Hannibal has framed Will for the murders and he's locked away in a psychiatric hospital awaiting trial. No one believes he is innocent, including all of his friends and it's likely Will is going to get the death sentence for the crimes he didn't commit.

*sees RC's pics*

*starts watching Hannibal*