Newsjack - Series 10 Page 5

There have been plenty of occasions when I've submitted two sketches I've been happy with, and a third that's nowhere near as good (usually due to time constraints), so I'm definitely in favour of the new limit.

Another advantage is that reducing the workload should also reduce the feelings of burnout, which have been quite common towards the end of each series.

I'm completely new to Newsjack- never even listened to it before but I'm extremely interested in writing one-liners and sketches. Could I ask which news sources you find to be worth following. I'm keen to do research but I don't necessarily want to be scrawling the internet. I keep up-to-date with the BBC news website but that's usually the extent of it. I'm a complete newcomer so I'm happy to benefit from your individual and collective suggestions.

Many Thanks, Dave

https://news.google.co.uk/

Dan

Quote: Judgement Dave @ 25th February 2014, 9:38 AM GMT

Not sure I follow why 'recorded but cut' would be more likely...

Surely for a 30min slot, so something like a 28min show, they'll still have a recording script of something like 35min, so there'll still be the same proportion of recorded material that gets cut.

Am I missing something?

Wow, a lot of posts - I'm a bit late.

My theory is that better quality sketches, ones that get recorded, are more likely to be cut in favour of material that Romesh and the commissioned writers (or those that get invited in) have developed. The way I read it, it's an opportunity for Romesh to showcase his talents with less time being given to submitted material.

I may be wrong. I hope so.

Mike

Quote: swerytd @ 25th February 2014, 3:06 PM GMT

https://news.google.co.uk/

Dan

Thanks

Quote: mikemcc @ 25th February 2014, 3:18 PM GMT

Wow, a lot of posts - I'm a bit late.

My theory is that better quality sketches, ones that get recorded, are more likely to be cut in favour of material that Romesh and the commissioned writers (or those that get invited in) have developed. The way I read it, it's an opportunity for Romesh to showcase his talents with less time being given to submitted material.

I may be wrong. I hope so.

Mike

Ah but I'd have thought that what will actually happen is that they recording script may contain a lower percentage of open submissions, that's where the cut may come.

When it comes to the edit from recoded to broadcast, I'd (perhaps naively) expect them to go with whatever got the best laughs on the night.

Quote: David Catstrey @ 25th February 2014, 2:56 PM GMT

I'm completely new to Newsjack- never even listened to it before but I'm extremely interested in writing one-liners and sketches. Could I ask which news sources you find to be worth following. I'm keen to do research but I don't necessarily want to be scrawling the internet. I keep up-to-date with the BBC news website but that's usually the extent of it. I'm a complete newcomer so I'm happy to benefit from your individual and collective suggestions.

Many Thanks, Dave

To be honest, the BBC news website is usually my main source. An occasional jump onto the daily mail online can give a very different view...

Very occasionally I'll have a look at twitter trends that can throw up non-newsworthy zeitgeisty oddities from around the world.

Quote: Judgement Dave @ 25th February 2014, 3:35 PM GMT

To be honest, the BBC news website is usually my main source. An occasional jump onto the daily mail online can give a very different view...

Very occasionally I'll have a look at twitter trends that can throw up non-newsworthy zeitgeisty oddities from around the world.

Thanks that's really helpful.

Does anyone do a search of twitter AFTER they've thought of some jokes to see if they have already been 'done'?

Quote: Judgement Dave @ 25th February 2014, 3:35 PM GMT

Ah but I'd have thought that what will actually happen is that they recording script may contain a lower percentage of open submissions, that's where the cut may come.

When it comes to the edit from recoded to broadcast, I'd (perhaps naively) expect them to go with whatever got the best laughs on the night.

I was just worried by 'he'll be stamping his sardonic and unique point of view on the new series' and 'Romesh will be writing for himself in conjunction with some of the non-commissioned writers' - which to me means those who have been invited in.

But you're probably right - I expect the list of names at the end will be just as long.

Mike.

Quote: David Catstrey @ 25th February 2014, 3:41 PM GMT

Does anyone do a search of twitter AFTER they've thought of some jokes to see if they have already been 'done'?

From previous discussions, here and elsewhere, I believe that a lot of people do this, however I don't.

I don't partly for the reason I don't often frequent twitter - I believe I can find something funny and don't want to be subconsciously influenced by twitter.

At least if I do come up with a joke that's been 'done' I can sleep well knowing that I got to it independently.

Quote: mikemcc @ 25th February 2014, 3:41 PM GMT

I was just worried by 'he'll be stamping his sardonic and unique point of view on the new series' and 'Romesh will be writing for himself in conjunction with some of the non-commissioned writers' - which to me means those who have been invited in.

But you're probably right - I expect the list of names at the end will be just as long.

Mike.

I would have thought it natural that Romesh 'sells' his own material really well on the night - as he is obviously going to be more comfortable with it, and then fight hard for it to be in the broadcast. I am sure we would all do the same given the chance.
I guess if he gets 5% of the air time, that is 5% less for me to go for, which will reduce my chances from Zero to Zero minus 5%...

Quote: playfull @ 25th February 2014, 3:58 PM GMT

I would have thought it natural that Romesh 'sells' his own material really well on the night - as he is obviously going to be more comfortable with it, and then fight hard for it to be in the broadcast. I am sure we would all do the same given the chance.
I guess if he gets 5% of the air time, that is 5% less for me to go for, which will reduce my chances from Zero to Zero minus 5%...

Agreed.

:D Yeah, I don't know why I'm bellyaching. Just something else to blame when I don't get anything in.

Templates have been posted on the NJ website.

Templates say 2 sketches max and 3 one liners for each area. (So max of 9 one liners each week.)

I'm strangely optimistic about throwing my stuff in the void this series. (Until 6pm on Thursday, of course.)

Matt.

Sent a one-liner. No chance of me filling the sheet! :D

Does anyone know why they've changed the format from doc to rtf?

Odd - the example one-liners seem to be fake news rather than funny takes on real news.

Any ideas if that's what they're actually after, or if those are just examples of the format?