Newsjack - Series 10 Page 4

No maximum three sketches rule anymore? I wonder how long that will last?

I didn't even notice they'd scrapped that. I fear, like TSWYW, they'll learn the hard way.

(Or in fact put that up when the templates go up)

I think they've reduced the sketches to a limit of 2

Where does it say that? It's not in the submission rules.

Quote: John Kelly @ 25th February 2014, 8:05 AM GMT

Where does it say that? It's not in the submission rules.

I believe that Steve's correct - from what I heard the submission limit's gone down to 2 sketches and just 3 one-liners.

Quote: StephenM @ 24th February 2014, 5:26 PM GMT

And it seems to start a week earlier than I was expecting - not much time between the end of TSWYW and the start of NJ.

I know I've had this date in my diary for several weeks now - the thing that surprised me was that I think at the end of the last series they said it was to return in February, so it's actually a few weeks later than I'd originally thought.

Looks like the new guy is going to be sticking in some of his own topical stuff? I can understand them cutting the max to 2 but seems like it's getting harder to get in. Or at least more likely that you'll get a 'recorded but cut' email.

Mike.

Quote: mikemcc @ 25th February 2014, 9:25 AM GMT

Looks like the new guy is going to be sticking in some of his own topical stuff? I can understand them cutting the max to 2 but seems like it's getting harder to get in. Or at least more likely that you'll get a 'recorded but cut' email.

Mike.

Not sure I follow why 'recorded but cut' would be more likely...

Surely for a 30min slot, so something like a 28min show, they'll still have a recording script of something like 35min, so there'll still be the same proportion of recorded material that gets cut.

Am I missing something?

With that change of format, they may as well rename it "Russell Howard's Radio Good News, Not Presented By Russell Howard".

Don't think I'll be bothering somehow.

Not sure where you guys are getting 2 sketches and 3 one-liners from but I trust your sources!

I can fully understand 2 sketches they are getting a LOT of sketches to read now and fewer sketches to read should help them identify more with potential that might need a bit of work. And, let's be honest, except for the commissioned writer has anyone got more than 2 sketches in a single episode?

But 3 one-liners does seem a little tight given they can be such a lottery I'd prefer more tickets in the hat.

Anyway all very exciting and like the idea that they'll have to cover a range of news stories each week so hopefully they should do some stuff on the big news each week. And one of the sections is sport! Hurrah! Finally Newsjack acknowledge sport! This is very good news!

I'm all for less and better, I'd prefer competing on material that's easier to focus on.

That's the way I saw it too, I think it sounds a better format.

Plus with my track record I prefer failing less often.

Quote: StephenM @ 25th February 2014, 11:33 AM GMT

I can fully understand 2 sketches they are getting a LOT of sketches to read now and fewer sketches to read should help them identify more with potential that might need a bit of work. And, let's be honest, except for the commissioned writer has anyone got more than 2 sketches in a single episode?

IIRC the past few seasons when figures have been mentioned, it's often been between about 600-1000 sketches per show (often varying over the series as the mid-series slump hits).

I wonder how many people actually sent 3 sketches in though? If that's usually been 200-300+ people all sending 3 sketches then probably a great move on their part. They cut down the volume and presumably get the sketches the author thinks are best (although not necessarily, due to tactical considerations).

OTOH if most people only sent 1-2 sketches then it may not affect volume or quality much. I'd also wonder, if that is the case, if it was a step back as presumably a reasonable number of those who did send 3 are those people who are writing a lot, and hopefully getting better at it.

Of course, it may also be that people who sent in 3 were the ones who knocked off 3 half-formed half-assed sketches in 10 minutes and thought it worth a punt, not considering the poor sods who have to read them all...

Quote: sootyj @ 25th February 2014, 11:47 AM GMT

Plus with my track record I prefer failing less often.

As long as I improve a bit each time I fail, I'd rather fail than not have had a go at all.

Of course, I'd rather succeed than fail, but failure can be useful.

never mind fail again, fail better

Looks like it's moving a little bit into Parsons and Naylor's Pull Out Sections territory with the set areas for news.

Where is Henry Naylor by the way - he's completely disappeared. Should we be concerned?