Is reading important for an aspiring writer?

Should writers also be readers or , in this instance , comedy writers be readers?Does this have any relevance to being a writer?Should you just watch television comedy and listen to radio and that's it - Hey everybody!I'm a writer?I can't help noticing, and I know I'm being terribly old-fashioned and a ghastly bore , for drawing some attention to this , but there are some terrible and really basic mistakes in literacy in a lot of the material in the Critique
section.Apostrophes are not required for plurals , for instance.Honest to God,I'm not kidding guys, that's wrong.Now just think of the poor producer you're punting material to who may very well be an extremely clever person.I have heard that some of them have O-Levels ( notice , no effing apostrophe )or even A-Levels ( again - no bastarding apostrophe ).They will bin poorly written material straight away. Regardless of your pals on some comedy site praising it to the hilt and pretending not to have noticed all of the basic grammatical mistakes .Writers of any type of literature which includes comedy are required to be literate.That is the basic skill or qualification before we even begin to discuss skill, talent, creativity and most importantly - Pzazz.
May I sugggest that some of you,you know who you are, with your mad apostrophe fixation, read the odd book.Libraries are full of them and they're free to borrow.This will improve your literacy no end and will also be endlessly entertaining and edifying.Top tip-you might get some nickable ideas from them.
Now my grammar ain't perfect by any stretch of the imagination.I'm just a poor and down-trodden Celt from the land of tartan and shortbread but I , at least , make the effort to write in passable English.Toodle-pip!

Quote: Jaicee @ September 3 2013, 12:26 PM BST

Should writers also be readers or , in this instance , comedy writers be readers?

Yes.

Everyone should read anything and everything they can. Reading expands the mind.

As far as your second point goes, it's always worth remembering that:

A) some people have dyslexia or other forms of learning difficulties

B) some people type on an iPad, which is prone to error and

C) To be perfectly honest Jaicee, I often find your posts quite hard to read. Planks of wood and specks and all that.

What is your rule on leaving spaces Jaicee? (Note no apostrophe).

Does he mean me? I think he most surely does.

Thanks for the advice, always appreciated never rejected. Though I do think posting in a separate thread smacks of both cowardice and arrogance. Of which I think you seem to have in equal measure. Perhaps you could open a little metaphorical shop and sell these 2 gifts to supplement your generous comedy unit stipend?

Though if in the spirit of good will and comradeship we're exchanging advice. There are two remarkable new inventions you might not have heard of. One the space after the full stop, the other the paragraph. Why if you could grasp these two small improvements you're work would no longer resemble a compacted, literary pile of monkey faeces.
It would merely read like one.
And that would be half the battle.

If you ever want to leave feedback on something I write, please do, if you want to even use my name, please do I promise not to appear in a cloud of sulphurous smoke.

Jaicee's idea of a space bar...

I don't like him. My friend doesn't like him either. ;)

Reading might not be that useful, but Slough didn't do Ricky Gervai's any harm.

Well I like him.

They will bin poorly written material straight away. Regardless of your pals on some comedy site praising it to the hilt and pretending not to have noticed all of the basic grammatical mistakes .

So your complaint is with people who are overly effusive in their praise of mediocre work? Your point being that the writer is not served by such a unrealistic appraisal of their skills?

Interesting.

I don't know if Reading is important for Writers but it's important for Berks.

Booyah to badge and gappy

Is that a tooyah?

Should writers also be readers or , in this instance , comedy writers be readers?Does this have any relevance to being a writer?Should you just watch television comedy and listen to radio and that's it - Hey everybody!I'm a writer?I can't help noticing, and I know I'm being terribly old-fashioned and a ghastly bore , for drawing some attention to this , but there are some terrible and really basic mistakes in literacy in a lot of the material in the Critique
section.Apostrophes are not required for plurals , for instance.Honest to God,I'm not kidding guys, that's wrong.Now just think of the poor producer you're punting material to who may very well be an extremely clever person.I have heard that some of them have O-Levels ( notice , no effing apostrophe )or even A-Levels ( again - no bastarding apostrophe ).They will bin poorly written material straight away. Regardless of your pals on some comedy site praising it to the hilt and pretending not to have noticed all of the basic grammatical mistakes .Writers of any type of literature which includes comedy are required to be literate.That is the basic skill or qualification before we even begin to discuss skill, talent, creativity and most importantly - Pzazz.
May I sugggest that some of you,you know who you are, with your mad apostrophe fixation, read the odd book.Libraries are full of them and they're free to borrow.This will improve your literacy no end and will also be endlessly entertaining and edifying.Top tip-you might get some nickable ideas from them.
Now my grammar ain't perfect by any stretch of the imagination.I'm just a poor and down-trodden Celt from the land of tartan and shortbread but I , at least , make the effort to write in passable English.Toodle-pip!

I still like him...

I went to Reading University. I have a scarf.

I Should Have Read Gappy's Post First.

Quote: playfull @ September 3 2013, 1:41 PM BST

I still like him...

I was just playing on the line from the Mos Eisley scene, Jaicee's fine by me. Although I confess I find that his post above exists in a space between redundancy and bitter, bitter irony.

Quote: sootyj @ September 3 2013, 1:38 PM BST

Is that a tooyah?

I don't know, is she married to a Roobert Fripp?