Is reading important for an aspiring writer? Page 3

Quote: Jennie @ September 3 2013, 6:50 PM BST

I kind of hope it is, but I'm not sure. :(

I was doing some digging around Critique. I must say, I think this place is much nicer (if less exciting) these days. I've just finished reading a thread where someone refers to that Bussell-man as a "middle class wanker".

All very entertaining, but there does seem to be more peace and harmony around here at the moment. I could be wrong of course, I wasn't here in the olden days.

I think it goes through phases!

Quote: zooo @ September 3 2013, 6:52 PM BST

I think it goes through phases!

Well, if you ever need an enforcer to bang a few heads together, you let me know Zooo. :)

I was praised today for my "schoolmistressy" tone. Very proud of that.

Quote: Jennie @ September 3 2013, 6:58 PM BST

Well, if you ever need an enforcer to bang a few heads together, you let me know Zooo. :)

I was praised today for my "schoolmistressy" tone. Very proud of that.

Saucy!

Quote: Jennie @ September 3 2013, 6:50 PM BST

I think this is my favourite:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/24416/

*takes a bow*

Actually, I quite miss those sort of threads.
Trolls ain't what they used to be.

Quote: Lazzard @ September 3 2013, 7:08 PM BST

*takes a bow*

Actually, I quite miss those sort of threads.
Trolls ain't what they used to be.

LAZZARD
(reasonably, in the circs)
Not being rude, but if this is something you can't manage on your own you might not be cut out for the job.

DAVID GALAND
Not being rude but the fact that you refer to yourself as the third person in your profile really pisses me off and makes me think you're a bit of a twat therefore your opinion means nothing to me.

This exchange made tea come out of my nose in laughter. You and Mr Galand brought joy into my very boring day.

Quote: zooo @ September 3 2013, 7:05 PM BST

Saucy!

I do like the new calmer BCG the current crop of trollish behaviour is rather mild.

I do miss some of the livelier characters, but not all the racism when I first started.

Realises he is turning into the old git of the forums, worthers orignal anyone?

Ah good all Skibbingdon and his incomprehensible nonsense, 100 page arguments about Maddy.

Those were the days,

Quote: Will Cam @ September 3 2013, 2:10 PM BST

Itsnotrocketscience

Should that be 'It'snotrocketscience'

:D

Spelling and grammar: I'm reminded of a League Against Tedium line.

'So many people are willing to suffer for art. So few are willing to learn how to draw.'

Spelling and grammar are important because they can get in the way between what you're saying and what the reader can understand. I'm not obsessed with it.

Funny but SOME mistakes, fine.
Funny but NO mistakes, better.
Funny but impossible to read, bad.
Unfunny but No mistakes, bad.
Textspeak, axe through face.

I think you'll find that's txtspk

"I'm one of the few people you'll meet who's written more books than they've read..." - Garth Marenghi

I only read factual books,and have not read a fictional book in years. I was worried this would affect my story telling, but it wasn't an issue.
I've written a screenplay, and found myself using subtitles on TV shows which helped slightly. However, if I had to write a romantic novel, I'm pretty sure it would be absolutely shit.

In some senses, correct english is really important. Language is a shared code. If you use the code incorrectly then expect to be misunderstood.

However, perfectionism is the enemy of creativity. I often find that when I'm working slow enough to check my grammar I'm not working fast enough to be playful or to outrun my inner critic.

So, I'd read this thread as a suggestion to proof read your work before submitting it to more serious destinations.

Cool n that...

There's a spot between perfect and comprehensible that I aim for

Quote: Overlay @ September 28 2013, 9:27 PM BST

In some senses, correct english is really important. Language is a shared code. If you use the code incorrectly then expect to be misunderstood.

However, perfectionism is the enemy of creativity. I often find that when I'm working slow enough to check my grammar I'm not working fast enough to be playful or to outrun my inner critic.

So, I'd read this thread as a suggestion to proof read your work before submitting it to more serious destinations.

Cool n that...

Teary

And yes :)