Is reading important for an aspiring writer? Page 2

Quote: Marc P @ September 3 2013, 1:41 PM BST

I went to bReading University. I have a scarf.

Was it covered in bread crumbs?

Certainly wasn't covered in glory!

Quote: gappy @ September 3 2013, 2:06 PM BST

I don't know, is she married to a Roobert Fripp?

it's a mystery.

Jaicee - If I was starting a new thread complaining about the grammatical inadequacies of other BCG Members (not that I would), I would make sure that my post at least conformed to even internet standards. Have a look around any website, newspaper etc. and you will see that a space always follows a punctuation mark.

Itsnotrocketscience

Quote: Lazzard @ September 3 2013, 2:10 PM BST

it's a mystery.

Roll-on Mum's the word

Quote: Jaicee @ September 3 2013, 12:26 PM BST

Should writers also be readers or , in this instance , comedy writers be readers?Does this have any relevance to being a writer?Should you just watch television comedy and listen to radio and that's it - Hey everybody!I'm a writer?I can't help noticing, and I know I'm being terribly old-fashioned and a ghastly bore , for drawing some attention to this , but there are some terrible and really basic mistakes in literacy in a lot of the material in the Critique
section.Apostrophes are not required for plurals , for instance.Honest to God,I'm not kidding guys, that's wrong.Now just think of the poor producer you're punting material to who may very well be an extremely clever person.I have heard that some of them have O-Levels ( notice , no effing apostrophe )or even A-Levels ( again - no bastarding apostrophe ).They will bin poorly written material straight away. Regardless of your pals on some comedy site praising it to the hilt and pretending not to have noticed all of the basic grammatical mistakes .Writers of any type of literature which includes comedy are required to be literate.That is the basic skill or qualification before we even begin to discuss skill, talent, creativity and most importantly - Pzazz.
May I sugggest that some of you,you know who you are, with your mad apostrophe fixation, read the odd book.Libraries are full of them and they're free to borrow.This will improve your literacy no end and will also be endlessly entertaining and edifying.Top tip-you might get some nickable ideas from them.
Now my grammar ain't perfect by any stretch of the imagination.I'm just a poor and down-trodden Celt from the land of tartan and shortbread but I , at least , make the effort to write in passable English.Toodle-pip!

Does that chatup line ever work?

:D

Quote: Marc P @ September 3 2013, 1:41 PM BST

I went to Reading University. I have a scarf.

I have a scarf too. It's called Gerald.

I didn't give mine a name but it goes nicely with my mustard coloured duffel coat.

Quote: Marc P @ September 3 2013, 3:28 PM BST

I didn't give mine a name but it goes nicely with my mustard coloured duffel coat.

He scrubs up well.

The more one reads, the more one learns where to put a comma and full stop.

We are all thinking the same Zoo, it has to be a joke.

He must be waiting to see who bites.

The only doubt whether it's a joke or not is that all his posts have the wrong spacing.

Oh well.

In general though it is a good question. I think a lot of us don't read as much as we should.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ September 3 2013, 6:36 PM BST

We are all thinking the same Zoo, it has to be a joke.

He must be waiting to see who bites.

The only doubt whether it's a joke or not is that all his posts have the wrong spacing.

I kind of hope it is, but I'm not sure. :(

I was doing some digging around Critique. I must say, I think this place is much nicer (if less exciting) these days. I've just finished reading a thread where someone refers to that Bussell-man as a "middle class wanker".

All very entertaining, but there does seem to be more peace and harmony around here at the moment. I could be wrong of course, I wasn't here in the olden days.

I think this is my favourite:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/24416/

If anyone does have trouble with things like comma spacings, they could simply bung it all into Word, and the errors will become highlighted.