- Sid James, Kenneth Williams, Charles Hawtrey, Roy Castle, Joan Sims, Bernard Bresslaw, Peter Butterworth, Terry Scott and more
- Talbot Rothwell
- Gerald Thomas
- Peter Rogers
It is 1895 and the British Governor in India's Kalabar province, Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond, enjoys his laid-back, luxurious colonial lifestyle - but is all too aware of the feelings of certain natives, particularly the Khasi of Kalabar, northern India's most powerful Raja.
Amongst Ruff-Diamond's responsibilities are the 3rd Foot and Mouth Regiment, known by the natives as the Devils in Skirts owing to their kilt-wearing, who guard the vital route into India at the Khyber Pass.
The Khasi is far from content with the status quo and wants the British dead. However, his troops fear what the imperial forces may or may not have under their "skirts" - it gets awfully windy up the pass, and any man who can go without protection should be feared!
When one of the soldiers is discovered to be wearing woollen underpants under his skirt, however, the Khasi is delighted. It's just the proof he needs to inspire his own men, not to mention the local populace, to drive the British out of India once and for all.
Sir Sidney, however, is not about to let that happen without a fight...
- Part of
- UK certificate
- 88 minutes
- UK release
- Friday 29th November 1968
- UK premiere
- Thursday 28th November 1968
- Camera set-up
- Single camera
- Most recent repeats
- Saturday 23rd April 2022 at 11:10pm on ITV3
- Sunday 17th April 2022 at 10:00pm on ITV3
- Tuesday 28th December 2021 at 4:30pm on ITV3
- Pinewood Studios - Studios
- Snowdonia - Khyber Pass locations