Status report Page 4,319

Lol, how dare you tie your hair up!

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ February 25 2012, 9:36 PM GMT

I only had a 20 minute lunch break in a 9 hour day

Ouch.

Isn't the break time illegal? And why were your co-workers going crazy about your hair?! Was it a bun in the shape of a swastika?

Is a 20 minute break considered unusual?

Quote: AJGO @ February 25 2012, 9:43 PM GMT

Isn't the break time illegal? And why were your co-workers going crazy about your hair?! Was it a bun in the shape of a swastika?

Probably. But we were so busy and understaffed. And because usually it's huge and curly, chin-length. They just can't help but mention anything that's different incessantly. SIGH.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ February 25 2012, 9:36 PM GMT

I only had a 20 minute lunch break in a 9 hour day, so many moany customers, my co-workers going crazy cos I had my hair tied up (totally unproductive...)...

The only advantage to smoking is the breaks.

You should be getting a 45 minute break every 9 hours (unpaid).

It does sound like you need a better job.

If I recall correctly it's meant to be 20 minutes per 8 hours minimum if you aren't working with computers, but if other breaks are specified verbally or in writing at the start of the role then one should be given time or money in lieu

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ February 25 2012, 9:47 PM GMT

Probably. But we were so busy and understaffed. And because usually it's huge and curly, chin-length. They just can't help but mention anything that's different incessantly. SIGH.

Letting your employer treat you like crap benefits nobody in the long term,

Quote: sootyj @ February 25 2012, 9:47 PM GMT

The only advantage to smoking is the breaks.

You should be getting a 45 minute break every 9 hours (unpaid).

It does sound like you need a better job.

:O Thank f**k I no longer work for NHS

Isn't 20 minutes what's actually required by law?

Yeah I know. I am job-hunting, but it's hard when you're an actually dedicated student and need time to do work too. I do get money for the time I'm working instead of having a break, but y'know, still not enough. :P

I used to get a 20 minute main break, and two 10 minute ones.

You're right it's 20 minutes.

I always knew it as 45 minutes, must just be practise I'm used to.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ February 25 2012, 9:49 PM GMT

Yeah I know. I am job-hunting, but it's hard when you're an actually dedicated student and need time to do work too. I do get money for the time I'm working instead of having a break, but y'know, still not enough. :P

Didja say they pay you for when you work through your break?

Thats big of them...

Yeaaah. I should have an hour but. Yeaaaah.

We used to get one 20 minute break that had to be taken in the middle of a 12 hour shift. I know it's legal and whatnot but we were all so ragged, allowing a five minute break somewhere would've so boosted productivity and ability

Customers just get so pissed off when you even go and take a break for 20 minutes, though. They all act like you're being unreasonable when you serve someone else/go and get some food or something to drink.