Status report Page 4,284

:) That is good news Chip! I need more book shelves.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ February 11 2012, 2:33 AM GMT

I'm in a travelodge in Birmingham . How did it ever come to this

I was a bit unimpressed with the Travelodges I stayed in. The first one I stayed in had rude staff. The second had one really friendly staff member but the rest seemed a bit imcompetent. I'm sure some of them have good staff, just not the ones I stayed in.

Much prefer the Premier Inn. Really friendly staff, made me feel very welcome.

Quote: DaButt @ February 11 2012, 11:44 AM GMT

Perhaps things work differently here. Any Realtor can show any property, even if they don't work for the same agency. Are your agents allowed to do that, or does a particular agency/agent have sole control of a specific property?

Determined by the seller, I'm fairly sure, s/he can give an estate agency sole rights (for a slight reduction in fee) or ask several estate agents to try to sell the property.

Many houses are still occupied by the seller until the final day of contract completion, so having remote control of the key would be totally impractical; visiting hours are set by the seller & generally one of the agents staff take visitors around the house (possibly to make sure they don't nick anything).

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ February 11 2012, 2:33 AM GMT

I'm in a travelodge in Birmingham . How did it ever come to this

Mrs Sunshine kicked you out again!

Huh?

Sorting out my Mum's vinyl cos she's getting rid but doesn't want to do it herself as she'll end up keeping them all. Am now suffering from same, original 'My People Were Fair and Had Sky in Their Hair...But Now They're Content to Wear Stars on Their Brows' is very likely to come home with me. As is the Thin Lizzy. As are the other approximately 250 records

Ha! Now you'll have to look for flats with an extra room for vinyl.

Quote: AJGO @ February 11 2012, 3:49 PM GMT

Sorting out my Mum's vinyl cos she's getting rid but doesn't want to do it herself as she'll end up keeping them all. Am now suffering from same, original 'My People Were Fair and Had Sky in Their Hair...But Now They're Content to Wear Stars on Their Brows' is very likely to come home with me. As is the Thin Lizzy. As are the other approximately 250 records

I had to read most of this before I knew you were talking about records and not floor covering. Good God I am SO Northern.

Hee, if I do end up having to make a hut to live in out of my books then the cat can have her own little room made from the records

Quote: rwayne @ February 11 2012, 3:55 PM GMT

I had to read most of this before I knew you were talking about records and not floor covering. Good God I am SO Northern.

Darn, I specifically put vinyl first instead of records cos I thought it would be clearer I meant music rather than paperwork!

Quote: billwill @ February 11 2012, 2:06 PM GMT

Many houses are still occupied by the seller until the final day of contract completion, so having remote control of the key would be totally impractical; visiting hours are set by the seller & generally one of the agents staff take visitors around the house (possibly to make sure they don't nick anything).

It's the same here, but the occupant is never present during the showing, so they are done while the owner is at work or else the owner leaves at a prearranged time. Then you're still stuck with the "how do I get a key?" predicament and the lockbox solves that nicely.

You could sell them on eBay. Vinyl still goes for a fair amount. Lots of hardcore collectors out there.

Or you can turn them into bowls.

Just finished drinking beer on the street with the neighborhood men and women. In 90 minutes we'll reconvene for more drinks and appetizers before jumping in a ridiculously long Hummer limo for a night of drunkenness downtown. I hate this neighborhood.

One of the neighbors just told me that he'd convinced 2 friends and their wives to buy homes in this neighborhood. At this rate we'll be a square mile of nighttime drunkenness a few years from now.

Drinking in the street! Tut, tut! You'd be arrested for that here and banged up with all the yobby teenagers.

Actually I exaggerate - the Polis would merely seize your drink and empty it on the ground in front of you.

Quote: keewik @ February 12 2012, 12:16 AM GMT

Drinking in the street! Tut, tut! You'd be arrested for that here and banged up with all the yobby teenagers.

It's a gated community, so the streets are privately owned (by us) and drinking is perfectly acceptable.

I have just learnt about 17th century-19th century Japanese men's 'handbags'; the Inro (the main bit), the Ojime (the bead), and the Netsuke (the secure-y bit). Is cool.

Quote: AJGO @ February 12 2012, 12:42 AM GMT

I have just learnt about 17th century-19th century Japanese men's 'handbags'; the Inro (the main bit), the Ojime (the bead), and the Netsuke (the secure-y bit). Is cool.

You alright?

I mean, you don't want me to phone anybody . . . or something ?

Whatever she's writing, it's gonna be bloody interesting...