What are you drinking? Page 163

This stuff - especially on draught - is just fabulous.
Had a couple yesterday lunch-time - and am about to repeat the process.

Never seen that before, Lazzard, but I do like a low alcohol beer.

It's actually very difficult to brew a beer that low in alcohol while still offering a lot of flavor. Low alcohol = less grain = less flavor. I don't brew anything less than 4%, but English styles are definitely the champions of lower alcohol brews.

It's true DB - there are some corkers over here.
In fact I don't drink anything much over 4.0 unless I can help it.
I also get really pissed off when you can't get a local brew - drives me up the wall.
If I wanted London Pride ,I'd go to bloody London.
It's like cider - you can't move for orchards and micro-breweries round here, yet you'll pop into a country pub and they offer you Strongbow or Woodpecker!!!
Angry

I assume it's the same problem we have here: distribution. It's getting better all the time, but it's hard to match the transportation capacity of the big boys. And the big boys have a lot of clout when it comes to pricing.

It's getting better here and most beer-centric venues sport dozens of taps, so there's room for everybody.

Yes - you pick and choose your pubs.
We've some lovely ones round here, and are blessed with some cracking breweries.
I walk out now if I'm offered something like a John Smiths with that terrible fake head.
If I'm going to have a terrible head - I'd at least like to get it from a decent pint!

It's weird isn't it, Wetherspoons the skuzziest, most low rent chain.

Generally has the best and most authentic pints at reasonable prices.

Also how is it lovely, characterful scrumpy is being replaced by sweet, candy faux ciders.

I went through a stage of drinking nothing but John Smiths. It was mainly because it was so weak I didn't get ridiculously hungover the next day.

I got bored of its blandness soon enough though.

One of my favourite low alcohol beers is Woodforde's Wherry.

Quote: sootyj @ 7th June 2015, 5:10 PM BST

Also how is it lovely, characterful scrumpy is being replaced by sweet, candy faux ciders.

Because the nations tastebuds are being infantalized by food manufacturers, 'cos chemicals are cheap whereas decent ingredients are expensive and require a modicum of skill to put together.

I blame alcopops, vertical drinking culture, excessive duty, the EU probably for creating such an awful drinking culture.

A decent pint of beer in convivial company is so civilised.

Found a Glasgow Wetherspoons that did Innis and Gunn by the pint, now that is pleasant.

I've never seen Innis and Gunn on tap. It's a damn fine drink that.

King Goblin beer

Bulmers.

Are teetotallers allowed to post on here? Second mug of coffee.

Poof!

:)