The Olympics Page 115

Quote: Loopey @ August 31 2012, 9:38 AM BST

I think someone questioned how the competitors are catergorised to make scoring fair. There is a good explanation here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2193644/Paralympics-2012-Lexicon-Decoder--it.html

BTW, I don't dislike Katie Price, I just found it funny that the presenter appeared to be asking her if she would compete in the paralympics, which made him look stupid and she replied that she needed more training, which made her look more stupid. Unless you can train to be disabled.

Perhaps she was jokingly pointing out the stupidity of the presenter's remark.

Perhaps the presenter was joking and taking the piss out of price. Suggesting she was challenged.

I'm off to Wheelchair Basketball! Look out for me!

Im not sure katie Price is qualified to compete in the paralympics, or indeed the regular olympics, however - she could 'take part' in numerous events.

Emergency stand-in pole vault runway box (simply lies on her back - legs akimbo)

Mens' pommel horse - No problem to her having a steady stream of athletic young men cavorting on her whilst in 'doggy stance'

Emergency whore oar in men's rowing

Javelin polisher

In fact she'd be a positive boon to the olympic movement...

Quote: Brian Bickerstaffe @ August 31 2012, 6:21 PM BST

Im not sure katie Price is qualified to compete in the paralympics, or indeed the regular olympics, however - she could 'take part' in numerous events.

Emergency stand-in pole vault runway box (simply lies on her back - legs akimbo)

And the first vaulter would lose their pole !

Detail of classification http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/disability-sport/18934366

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 31 2012, 8:07 PM BST

And the first vaulter would lose their pole !

Detail of classification http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/disability-sport/18934366

:D

They'd probably lose the first vaulter too!

But then again a quick call to the Chilean government in order to borrow the capsule used for rescuing their miners.....

The coverage of this is rubbish. Just watched a swimming heat where an Andorran guy was mega slow and a full length behind the rest, and they didn't even show him finish! (Which would have been to rapturous applause.) They just cut away to slo mo replays instead.
And then they showed the results board and it said he'd been disqualified, and the commentators didn't even bother telling us why.

Useless!

And there seems to be an ad break every five minutes too. Bleh.

Quote: zooo @ September 1 2012, 12:14 PM BST

The coverage of this is rubbish. Just watched a swimming heat where an Andorran guy was mega slow and a full length behind the rest, and they didn't even show him finish! (Which would have been to rapturous applause.) They just cut away to slo mo replays instead.
And then they showed the results board and it said he'd been disqualified, and the commentators didn't even bother telling us why.

Useless!

And there seems to be an ad break every five minutes too. Bleh.

Yeah, the BBC should have got it. Channel 4 is not the natural home for sport.

More classic commentary on the swimming last night.
"A great turn as his missing legs touch the side."

Laughing out loud

Hasn't Pastorius shown himself up as an arrogant pompous arse?

While things are going his way - ie he's winning he's all smiles.

When someone taller than him wins he throws a strop.

In the other Olympics there is no height restriction for who competes. If someone is 8'10" they'd be quite entitled to compete.

Quote: Chappers @ September 5 2012, 12:14 PM BST

Hasn't Pastorius shown himself up as an arrogant pompous arse?

Probably. One of the great things about the paralympics is that able-bodied people don't feel worried about saying this sort of thing about someone who's got no legs. Now that's equality.

How good is Peacock?!

Watching basketball, well stressful when someone gets knocked over. Can we get this game back? We won at last two paralympics, that's our gold Canada Angry

I thought Ken Clarke was competing
But I'd misheard the phrase Pissed Tory Arse

I like the idea of the events like 34 point swimming relay, where the teams have to comprise a mixed (dis)ability group of athletes. It lends the proceedings an extra dimension which you don't usually get in top-flight sports.