The Olympics Page 128

A gold medal for spinning on yer head. :D

In order for a sport or discipline to be considered for inclusion in the list of Summer Olympic sports, it must be widely practiced in at least 75 countries, spread over four continents.

Quote: chipolata @ 25th July 2023, 6:36 AM

There are a lot of Olympic sports that require judges: gymnastics, diving, ice skating and ski jumping. And doesn't boxing require judges?

I'm looking forward to watching the breakdancing. I reckon GB may be in with a shout for a medal.

Yes, there are a lot of sports that require judges, and that's just my point - someone's opinion, not "first past the post", which proper sports are. Bet the Greeks didn't have a load of knobs in navy and white togas holding up a number on a card. Boxing (or more likely wrestling) should be until there is a KO, or one of them holds up a hand and says "I've had enough!"

Enjoy yourself then - personally I think it's a load of tosh.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 25th July 2023, 8:21 AM

A gold medal for spinning on yer head. :D On ice 😁
In order for a sport or discipline to be considered for inclusion in the list of Summer Olympic sports, it must be widely practiced in at least 75 countries, spread over four continents.

Then I'm sure a lot of countries would qualify for :-
Changing the wheel on a car
Peeling 5 Kg. potatoes
Changing a duvet cover

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th July 2023, 8:41 AM

Then I'm sure a lot of countries would qualify for :-
Changing the wheel on a car

That's already a part of F1.

F1 in the Olympics - now that would qualify under my rules

I like boxing in the Olympics.
It's the hell for leather nature as they know they only have 3 rounds to win.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th July 2023, 12:33 AM

There are a hell of a lot of things that require those attributes, but that doesn't make them sports, which "dancing" (and I use that word very loosely) isn't.

And why is it harder than curling, which requires a lot of skill, which breakdancing doesn't. ALSO, it brings me on to the point that there should be no sport that requires a panel of judges to decide who is the winner. First past the post, heaviest weight lifted, furthest thrown etc. is defining - anything else is someone's opinion.

Yes I agree. Opinions are open to back handers.