Lab Rats Page 8

Quote: Pete @ July 11 2008, 1:22 PM BST

glad to see we arent alone in disliking it simply because it gets made and ours dont!

This is what I really hate about this site. There aren't enough fans and audience members.

Aren't we all?

As most people here are writers or aspiring writers, no.

How was Addison's character not likeable and sympathetic?

It wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible, and it might improve. There were some good lines (mostly deliverd by Addison). Enough to kep me watching anyway.

It did have a very strange feel to it though.

Quote: zooo @ July 11 2008, 1:37 PM BST

How was Addison's character not likeable and sympathetic?

He wasn't likeable. But there wasn't anything really to hate either. I found myself thinking he was a bit of a dick I guess, but as someone else said there was no development or information about the characters or anything like that. If the lab exploded and they were all killed, I wouldn't care at all. A bit dull and unfeeling really.

Quote: zooo @ July 11 2008, 1:37 PM BST

It did have a very strange feel to it though.

Totally agree! It had both that kind of warm, safe feeling of a studio-based family sitcom, and the kind of, I dunno how to explain it, kind of edgeyness (?) that one tends to get with closed set shows. That the kind of thing you mean?

Quote: Aaron @ July 11 2008, 1:29 PM BST

This is what I really hate about this site. There aren't enough fans and audience members.

I really liked it. Completely mad nonesense. Made me chuckle aloud a number of times. Some not so great lines here and there, and the main man isn't probably the best actor in the world, but I had the series link on my Sky plus button pushed and it's staying there.

I am a fan and an audience first and a writer probably eighth.

:)

Hello, must say I'm staggered by the amount of venom a mere sitcom has engendered. Although it was far from perfect (the administrator not remembering Brian's name being the worst offender), (and the Russian), I found it very entertaining. Good performances, some actual old fashioned plotting and some very funny bits. And I don't consider myself to have low standards; my favourite sitcoms so far this decade have been Nathan Barley, 15 Storeys and IT Crowd (with honorable mentions to Peep show and Saxondale). I wonder if at least some of your judgements have been clouded by the fact that most of you appear to be in various stages of writing careers and suffering from the affliction of thinking that Lab Rats is shit, your work is better, and so, therefore, your work should, by definition, by produced in place of it. Is there any truth in that notion or am I talking out of my poo-poo. Anyway, point being, that as a non-writing sitcom fan, I enjoyed it, look forward to more and thank goodness somebody's having a go at a studio based sitcom. There are only so many poor quality Office/Royle family clones I can manage.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ July 11 2008, 1:46 PM BST

I wonder if at least some of your judgements have been clouded by the fact that most of you appear to be in various stages of writing careers and suffering from the affliction of thinking that Lab Rats is shit, your work is better, and so, therefore, your work should, by definition, by produced in place of it.

That's exactly the problem. There's only so much worth that anything said on this site has, because of it.

Not that I'm saying that they'd think Lab Rats is good if they weren't writers, but just a general point.

Anyway, point being, that as a non-writing sitcom fan

Welcome - please do stay as a regularly posting member! :)

Cheers Aaron, will drop in every now and then.

John Lucas, I don't think the writers on here get upset because they consider their work to be better.

Personally, I compare TV sitcoms to previous TV sitcoms quality. And Lab Rats fell well short of the mark.

I also hate this notion that aspiring writers opinions shouldn't be counted.

It's like saying a trainee doctor shouldn't have an opinion on how to do an operation, but a member of the public should.

It had a kind of Goodies feel to me.

Goodies? Howso?

I don;t know really Aaron, I spose the science aspect, but also the daftness of it. I think the daftness is the point that people missed. If you don't find that kind of humour funny - watching thirty minutes of it won't help.

I thought the little woman with the giant Lemon was great, and you almost see her corpsing at one point.

There are only so many poor quality Office/Royle family clones I can manage.

Whats an example of an office clone?

I thought is was pretty lame, and I've no agenda. I just love comedy. The girl was about the only thing I found vaguely funny. And the 'Russians' accent was terrible, is the actor American by any chance. He sounded like a New Yorker half the time.

Hopefully it'll get better, I'll watch a couple more (maybe).