Doctor Who... Page 1,085

Not looking forward to the Robin Hood one, the historical ones tend to be very average...and let's face it, the average isn't very high.

If there's a man with a bow I want to see on my telly it ain't Robin Hood.

I don't think the programme will be quite as cheesy as it looks in the trailer, though. Hopefully it's a bit more sinister.

Aaah the sweet dreams of youth :)

Quote: zooo @ 5th September 2014, 12:21 PM BST

I don't think the programme will be quite as cheesy as it looks in the trailer,

You do know the trailers have all the best bits....?
Dreading it, myself.

The funny thing is well all end up watching it

Like people visiting a dying relative.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 5th September 2014, 4:58 AM BST

Are you suggesting that he should be supervised by fanboys? >_<

Your sig containing just the word 'numpty' suggests that you may not be equipped to have this discussion, but I'll answer your point.

No. I would expect him to be supervised by people who are able to protect the brand and maintain production standards. I suspect that there is some awe surrounding him following the success of 'Sherlock' and the popularity of his early scripts for the show.

This may have gone quite some way to concealing for some people the very limited nature of his writing and guardianship.

Doctor Who is in an entirely unique position in that it has been in existence for a long time and some of the best people in the creative industries have worked on it. many of them are still alive. Unfortunately none of them has been consulted in any capacity regarding the current show.

Similarly it has been the subject of academic analysis and symposia and there is a vast body of information that can be drawn upon regarding how it became successful and what has sustained and eroded its success over the years.

Again, unfortunately the current producers see no need to consult this archive and so are driving the show up its own arse at lightspeed as has happened before.

I don't think there's someone to protect the brand. For years no one CARED about the brand.

Does anyone remember the episode from the old series with King Arthur and Merlin in it?

Lots of people care about the brand. I do for one.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 5th September 2014, 5:17 PM BST

I don't think there's someone to protect the brand. For years no one CARED about the brand.

Does anyone remember the episode from the old series with King Arthur and Merlin in it?

Battlefield. The show was long past its best by then.

Quote: Marc P @ 5th September 2014, 5:34 PM BST

Lots of people care about the brand. I do for one.

Marc P for showrunner! I can see nothing wrong in that. (I'm sure he'd chuck me, lazzard and Sooty the odd commission).

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 5th September 2014, 7:22 PM BST

It's not a particularly strong story, but I've always liked that one what with Lethbridge-Stewart coming to terms with the new UNIT. Also, the Destroyer was a very well made monster considering it was the 1980s and the BBC.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 5th September 2014, 7:22 PM BST

Marc P for showrunner! I can see nothing wrong in that. (I'm sure he'd chuck me, lazzard and Sooty the odd commission).

And very constructive the creative meetings would be too. Sadly the way the BBC is going Paul Ross will probably be offered the next gig if there is one.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 5th September 2014, 1:44 AM BST

And a surprisingly cheap-looking title sequence made up of clip art based on an stock library search of the word 'time'.

Laughing out loud

I think that was quite possibly the worst one yet.
Just awful.
Gattis at his worst.
Can't even begin to list what was wrong with it.

Quote: Lazzard @ 6th September 2014, 8:23 PM BST

I think that was quite possibly the worst one yet.
Just awful.
Gattis at his worst.
Can't even begin to list what was wrong with it.

I liked it! I thought it was a fun 45 minutes, and that's what I expect from a TV program on BBC1 at 7:30 pm on a Saturday. I'm not expecting it to be the X Files or Firefly whatever sci fi things trendy people like.